Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 2:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Rescheduling »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Rescheduling
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Rescheduling  (Read 4428 times)
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

Re: 2011 WC - Rescheduling
« Reply #15 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I could be wrong but I think this is the last round unless you make the top 8
IP Logged
Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #16 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 3:25pm »

This is the last round, and I won't be able to make the finals, but I still wouldn't like to forfeit the last game if it can be avoided Smiley
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 3:42pm »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 3:25pm, Harren wrote:
This is the last round, and I won't be able to make the finals, but I still wouldn't like to forfeit the last game if it can be avoided Smiley

Absolutely, I definitely agree that you should try your hardest to re-schedule even though it's your last game of the tournament.  It would be heartbreaking for a player on the bubble at 4-2 to need a key victory in another game for Strength of Schedule only to see it lost by forfeit.  All games are important at this stage!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:07pm »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 1:25pm, Harren wrote:
I thought I changed my preferred times, but apparently something went wrong. I need to reschedule, but so far my opponent, qswanger, has not reacted to my mail.

If he doesn't react, am I not allowed to change my preferred times for the next run of the scheduler?

Correct.  You can't unilaterally change your times.  If you do, qswanger can just ask for the original time slot back and Omar will give it to him.  Especially given that qswanger has already had to miss two games due to a time that didn't work for him, I can understand if he wouldn't want to let go of a spot if he finally got a good one.  On the other hand, you could transgress first and ask forgiveness later; maybe qswanger will let you keep the new time...
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:08pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 8:07pm »

I've run the scheduler again. If any players have agreed to a new time please post here.
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #20 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 8:09pm »

knarl and I agreed to play friday at 2pm arizona time
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 10:04pm »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 8:09pm, ginrunner wrote:
knarl and I agreed to play friday at 2pm arizona time
That is what I see in the Gameroom, maybe Omar already changed it after you posted here.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 10:32pm »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 10:04pm, Nombril wrote:

That is what I see in the Gameroom, maybe Omar already changed it after you posted here.

I didn't change it manually. Might have changed when I ran the scheduler the second time.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 4:57pm »

I agree with rescheduling my game with Sconibulus to either slot 118 or 119. (We don't mutually agreed that yet).
Seems we mutually agreed on 119 now.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2011, 5:24pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 5:21pm »

I agree to slot 119, and I'm really sorry for the inconvenience to everyone involved.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #25 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 8:57pm »

I've changed the game time to slot 119.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 9:47am »

I’m happy with my Round 1 time slot.

For next week, however, it’s going to be extremely difficult for me to schedule a game.  Just to give my future opponent ample warning, I cannot play any games Wednesday – Sunday unless it’s very early Wednesday (like 5 or 6am EST), early Thursday (anytime up to 10am EST) or the following Monday (I can take a day off work so that I can play anytime).

In the various scenarios it’s possible that I can play anyone except rabbits in round 2.  I’m bracing for a possible encounter with Fritzlein, which will occur if the top 4 players either all win or all lose this week.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 12:18pm »

on Feb 15th, 2011, 9:47am, Adanac wrote:
I’m bracing for a possible encounter with Fritzlein, which will occur if the top 4 players either all win or all lose this week.

If you end up paired with me, we will surely get a Monday time slot.  How about 119?  If you end up paired with someone who "schedules to win", you have given him a roadmap for how to land you in an unplayable time and beat you by forfeit. Wink  Seriously, I'm glad that Monday daytime will work for you, because this year I'm not going to play at an off-schedule time for me regardless of the scheduling difficulties of my opponent, however legitimate and understandable those scheduling difficulties are.  I am marking sixty slots in the scheduler, some better, some worse, and the ultimate time I play at will be one of those sixty.

This isn't to say that I will claim a forfeit after 15 minutes, or that I will refuse all rescheduling requests.  If I have a long time window I will wait for a late opponent, and if I have an alternative time slot that is decent, I will reschedule.  I won't, however, get up at 6:00 eastern (5:00 local) given that my bedtime is midnight and that would mean playing on less than five hours sleep.  As much as I would prefer to play out my games on the board rather than win by forfeit due to my opponent's crowded schedule, I'm going to draw the line at offering to play at a time that gives me a disadvantage.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh.  I definitely won't use the scheduler as a weapon.  And on the flip side, if I have technical difficulties myself, or family emergencies that make all times bad for me, etc., I won't ask any quarter.  At the end of the day Arimaa is just a game, so I won't complain if "real world" realities get in the way of my Arimaa fortunes.  (And I hope ChrisB understood that I was prepared to and expecting to take a loss in the first round of the preliminaries; his generosity was pure benevolence.)
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2011, 12:20pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 3:48pm »

Hippo, I just want to warn you that I will probably be playing our Sunday game from the library because my router died and probably won't be replaced until Monday.  Since they limit the time one can be logged in, I won't join the game until the last minute.  The probibility that I will lose due to disconnection or timeout is also likely to be higher than normal, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  :)

If a 24-hour delay works for you (changing to slot 118) that would be great for me, but if not, no worries.  Indeed, even delaying until Monday is no guarantee that I will be able to play from home, so don't do it if the time is bad for you.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011, 3:49pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #29 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 1:52pm »

on Feb 18th, 2011, 3:48pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Hippo, I just want to warn you that I will probably be playing our Sunday game from the library because my router died and probably won't be replaced until Monday.  Since they limit the time one can be logged in, I won't join the game until the last minute.  The probibility that I will lose due to disconnection or timeout is also likely to be higher than normal, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  :)

If a 24-hour delay works for you (changing to slot 118) that would be great for me, but if not, no worries.  Indeed, even delaying until Monday is no guarantee that I will be able to play from home, so don't do it if the time is bad for you.

Sorry I have missed this post. I have checked and I could play at 118 as well. So if you confirm 118 at least 4 hours before the original schedule so till slot (90), I agree with the change.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.