Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « TheMob vs TheGang »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   TheMob vs TheGang
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TheMob vs TheGang  (Read 41437 times)
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: TheMob vs TheGang
« Reply #30 on: Jun 10th, 2011, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I may participate but only if I'm in the mob, the gang is dumb.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jun 10th, 2011, 11:38pm »

Twelve in already.  Not too shabby!

on Jun 10th, 2011, 8:07pm, Eltripas wrote:
I may participate but only if I'm in the mob, the gang is dumb.

Do you mean that you don't like the team name, or that you refuse to be lumped in with all the Europeans?  I'm hoping the latter, because normally folks don't like to be lumped in with the USA.  Wink
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #32 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 3:24am »

on Jun 10th, 2011, 7:31pm, RonWeasley wrote:
TheMob coordinator is less about being a good player yourself and more about keeping track of the discussion and prompting the mobsters to state their final comments.  Mobsters need enough time to respond to each other, especially in active positions.  The coordinator then needs to sense when discussion has finished and begin the vote.  There needs to be enough time for mobsters to vote, often a day and a half at least.

I worried a lot in the second game about getting enough discussion and getting a vote done on time.  I worried about being a pest.  I said to myself that I hoped somebody else would be coordinator next game.  If you find you're playing around on the arimaa site every day, you just might be a coordinator.

Given that somebody else coordinates, I would contribute to one of the teams, unevenly perhaps, as long as there are no giant spiders on it.

I don't mind sharing coordination in a team, but I cannot predict my availability 400 days in advance so there could be some weeks I would not be available at all.  

This is why I prefer existence of team account from which the game would be plyed. (Coordinator can change password for his coordination, but is able to publish the password for period of unavailibility to let someone else declare coordinator and continue).  

Coordinator has to  maintain "game tree" suggested by all (mob/gang)sters and let the (mob/gang)sters vote. I would recomend coordinator to log by his account in role of (mob/gang)ster and with coordinator account in the other role.
IP Logged

lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #33 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 10:29am »

If this gets started, I would like to join in. Hopefully I'll have time.

Also Sharp wants to join. Grin Although bot analysis may be less useful until the board opens up.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 12:49pm »

on Jun 11th, 2011, 3:24am, Hippo wrote:
Coordinator has to  maintain "game tree" suggested by all (mob/gang)sters

It will be very interesting to see whether clojure's analysis tool revolutionizes this aspect of Mob discussion.  The tree was very helpful to discussion, but it was a major pain to compile, and reasonably tedious to use as well.  If clojure's tool works as well as I hope, then there is no need for the coordinator to maintain the tree; everyone in the Mob will be able to download the tree file, add/edit lines with pointing and clicking, and then post the enhanced tree back to the discussion.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 12:53pm »

on Jun 11th, 2011, 10:29am, lightvector wrote:
If this gets started, I would like to join in. Hopefully I'll have time.

Also Sharp wants to join. Grin Although bot analysis may be less useful until the board opens up.

If this turns into USA vs. ROW, it will be fun to have sharp and OpFor on our team, given that marwin and clueless are in ROW.

Actually I'm surprised to see that declared USA interest appears to be running slightly ahead of declared ROW interest.   Surrender peacefully, ROW: we have you surrounded!
IP Logged

mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #36 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 1:10pm »

I'll only be able to contribute significantly during my school breaks (including this summer) but I'm in.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #37 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 3:10pm »

Count me in Smiley

IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #38 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 8:13pm »

on Jun 11th, 2011, 12:49pm, Fritzlein wrote:

If clojure's tool works as well as I hope, then there is no need for the coordinator to maintain the tree; everyone in the Mob will be able to download the tree file, add/edit lines with pointing and clicking, and then post the enhanced tree back to the discussion.

If this ends up being the case, I will volunteer my services as the coordinator of the Mob.  I will need a crash course on the other aspects of wizardry from the head wizard at Hogwarts however.  Go Mob!  Go USA!

IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #39 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 8:43pm »

on Jun 11th, 2011, 1:10pm, mdk wrote:
I'll only be able to contribute significantly during my school breaks (including this summer) but I'm in.

Same here.
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #40 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 7:07am »

I'd be happy to be in (for the Rest of the World, if we choose that format), although I can't guarantee how much input I'll give. I'm weak enough compared to most of the other players that most likely any intelligent thoughts I have about the position will have already been pointed out by others  Smiley
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #41 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 8:05am »

on Jun 12th, 2011, 7:07am, robinz wrote:
I'd be happy to be in (for the Rest of the World, if we choose that format), although I can't guarantee how much input I'll give. I'm weak enough compared to most of the other players that most likely any intelligent thoughts I have about the position will have already been pointed out by others  Smiley

In team thinking questions "Why do you think that is good" are important, and lowly rated players are in better position to ask Smiley so don't hesitate to do so ...
IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #42 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 1:54pm »

I'll play, I don't care for which side.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
geez
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6166

« Reply #43 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 5:03pm »

Sounds like great fun, I'm in.  Smiley
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #44 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 5:58pm »

on Jun 10th, 2011, 11:38pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Twelve in already.  Not too shabby!

Do you mean that you don't like the team name, or that you refuse to be lumped in with all the Europeans?  I'm hoping the latter, because normally folks don't like to be lumped in with the USA.  Wink  

I don't care about the nationality of my teammates, but gang sounds like the spanish word "ganga" which means bargain.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.