Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « TheMob vs TheGang »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   TheMob vs TheGang
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TheMob vs TheGang  (Read 41392 times)
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

Re: TheMob vs TheGang
« Reply #90 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, so we are to decide who goes first using a fair way.

I propose the following: Today is June 22nd. Let us take the last digit before the decimal point of tomorrow (June 23rd) morning London Gold Fix in USD - it is a public data we all can see. Today morning fix is 1546.00 (you can check it here: http://www.goldfixing.com/test2.htm ), so the last digit is 6.
For the tomorrow morning last digit if it's even than the Mob is Gold if it's odd than the Gang is Gold.  

Could it be like that?
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:21am by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #91 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:38am »

Well, seeing as TheMob is rated 1500 and TheGang 1400, I suggest we figure out which of Gold and Silver has the advantage, and give it to TheGang... Tongue But really, colors don't matter; noone's figured out how to exploit a color.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #92 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:38am »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 8:10am, Nazgand wrote:
As for when we start, I think as soon as TheGang has 6 members.
[...]
Edit: Scratch that; we should start the game now and let people join while setup is decided.

I stand by my comments at the beginning of the thread; six people is way too few for a Mob discussion.  Even ten is thin; I was only happy to start with ten on a team on the hope that more would join in later when the game is announced/linked in the game room.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some practice posts of text, not to mention practice use of the analysis tool, before the clock starts ticking down.  I just went to the Mob page (Move 1) and it was completely blank.  My first post didn't show up, and I couldn't figure out why until I saw that I had entered my text as the edit comment.  Smiley  It's not rocket science, but I expect it will take a bit to get our bearings.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #93 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:42am »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:20am, UruramTururam wrote:

I propose the following: Today is June 22nd. Let us take the last digit before the decimal point of tomorrow (June 23rd) morning London Gold Fix in USD - it is a public data we all can see. Today morning fix is 1546.00 (you can check it here: http://www.goldfixing.com/test2.htm ), so the last digit is 6.
For the tomorrow morning last digit if it's even than the Mob is Gold if it's odd than the Gang is Gold.  

Could it be like that?

First we should flip a coin to decide whether we use the London Gold Fix or the London Silver Fix.  Roll Eyes  Just kidding; that sounds like a very fair and reasonable way to flip a coin in public.  It's not like I'm going to buy/sell a bunch of gold in order to set the price and make sure the Mob gets to play Gold.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:43am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #94 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:20am »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 6:18am, chessandgo wrote:
So we are the gang. I think Quebecois use the word "gang" quite liberally, often meaning something like "band of friends". I suppose the same goes in English. In French though the word only stands for a gang of criminals, it feels super weird when someone says "Great, I'm a gangster now" Smiley

I don't think there are any positive connotations to "mob", and in current urban slang it is far more hip to be a gangster (gangsta) than a mobster, so you probably have the cooler name of the two.  Wink  My fondness for belonging to the mob comes from its association with the adjective "unruly", i.e. a mob is almost automatically an "unruly mob", except in connection with organized crime.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #95 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:50am »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:38am, Fritzlein wrote:

I stand by my comments at the beginning of the thread; six people is way too few for a Mob discussion.  Even ten is thin; I was only happy to start with ten on a team on the hope that more would join in later when the game is announced/linked in the game room.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some practice posts of text, not to mention practice use of the analysis tool, before the clock starts ticking down.  I just went to the Mob page (Move 1) and it was completely blank.  My first post didn't show up, and I couldn't figure out why until I saw that I had entered my text as the edit comment.  Smiley  It's not rocket science, but I expect it will take a bit to get our bearings.

I'm with Fritz on this one. As the admin, I need time to acclimate myself to the new site.  Plus, I still need the email and password to the mob account from RonWeasley and instructions on how to use the voting tool.

Let's at least get the original members who expressed interest signed up at PBworks (among other things) before we even think about starting the game.

Also, I will ask Omar if he can start publicizing the event on the main page to drum up interest.

My last reason for delaying a bit is that I am currently on vacation and I don't feel comfortable putting us on the clock at this point. (not to mention I have several postal games going on).

How about we start this in conjunction with the AWL on July 18th?  I know there are some of you ready to go now, but I don't want to rush things.  The earliest I would be comfortable starting would be July 11th.

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:51am by mistre » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #96 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:37am »

I also hope Ron explains us the voting tool usage.

I hope I would be available expect one week in August. Yes, it's true that I would have small amount of time for thinking during the openning as the mixer consumes a lot of my time. So I welcome delay start to 11 July (or a bit later).

[edit]
Done.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2011, 6:27am by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #97 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 2:24pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:50am, mistre wrote:
How about we start this in conjunction with the AWL on July 18th?  I know there are some of you ready to go now, but I don't want to rush things.  The earliest I would be comfortable starting would be July 11th.

I'm on vacation July 1-17, so a July 18 start works for me too.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #98 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:29am »

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 9:20am, UruramTururam wrote:

Could it be like that?

The June 23 morning London Gold Fix was $1541.50.  The last digit before the decimal is 1, so it is odd, so The Gang is Gold.  In one sense that's too bad, because the The Mob was starting to have an interesting discussion on how to set up as Gold.  On the other hand, it's good, because now The Mob will have the advantage of playing Silver.   Wink

Has the discussion started yet on The Gang side?  If not, let me mention that in The Mob we are mostly discussing using the "comment" feature rather than the Wiki per se.  The comments are signed and kept in order.  Perhaps when we have some distilled wisdom, like a FAQ or an analysis tree, that can be enshrined in the Wiki proper.

I quite enjoy the automatic e-mail notifications that PBWiki sends out for modifications.  I don't think it is going to take me long to get used to having discussions over there.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:43am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #99 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:28pm »

The gang didn't start discussing the initial setup yet.
(As we expected to play silver Smiley)
So if it's given we are gold ... we could start discussing.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #100 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 1:26pm »

The Gang needs to get on the stick.  Over at The Mob we are figuring out how to use clojure's tool to pass an analysis tree via the Wiki page.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work properly for variations of the setup.  I'm sure there will be other small bugs that pop up as well.

Perhaps once the game starts and he sees that his tool is in use, clojure could be persuaded to return to active development.  It is a truly fabulous gift he has given to the community already.
IP Logged

Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #101 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:57pm »

on Jun 21st, 2011, 2:56pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I think it is fine to divide the teams that way, allowing people to switch before the game starts if they want to.

I have applied and been accepted as a mobster.  I like to mix things up, and also I'm looking forward to benefiting from Fritzlein's informative and logical verbosity.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #102 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:55pm »

Swynndla, I am glad you recognize the innate superiority of the United States of America even before the game begins.  As for the rest of the schmucks out there who haven't yet seen the light, well, we will just have to convince them over the board. Grin
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #103 on: Jun 24th, 2011, 8:31am »

I have renamed the Move 1 page in the PbWorks site to pre-game discussion.

I have created a new page called Move 1, which we can use once we actually start the game.  Hopefully that will help newcomers to the page not get confused.   Cheesy

I have also added a separate page to discuss the use of the Analysis Tool.

I can add other pages by request.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2011, 10:01am by mistre » IP Logged

Jimbo
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6580

« Reply #104 on: Jun 24th, 2011, 8:07pm »

Just posting here so when I send my application to the gang the admin knows i'm a real person/player.  

i'm looking forward to the same extent  I'm bad at Arimaa. That is, I'm looking forward to this very, very much. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.