Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 15th, 2024, 11:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship - Volunteers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers  (Read 9838 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« on: Dec 27th, 2011, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,
With the new year just around the corner, I thought it would be worth checking to who had time and energy to pitch in to support the 2012 World Championship activities.  Here are some things I've remembered from previous years.

The website lists the following positions as unfilled, though maybe Omar has already arranged something that I don't know about.  I've mentioned who has done it in the past, if folks have questions about what is required for those two positions the previous people can probably give a better description then me.  Or maybe they want to do it again? (update... Mark is the TD, just need the lead Event Reporter)

Tournament Director: TBD (Previously Ned Bent) Mark Mistretta

Event Reporter: TBD (Previously Greg Magne)

Other things that will need doing:

Radio:
* Host the relay (I'm assuming we want 2-3 people for this)
* Provide commentary (not just deep analysis, you don't have to be a top player to ask questions and provide impressions.)
* Make audio and/or combined audio/video recordings

Wiki (event reporting):
The official Event Reporter who is organizing the coverage will need:
* Many people to write up a game or two each round

Tournament:
* I assume Omar will be the primary person for scheduling the rounds, unless he wants to delegate that?
* Secondary person to be responsible for rescheduling games.

Publicity:
* Write copy for small forum posts
* Create pdf flier for email and physical announcement board posting, etc.

Sponsors:
* Is it too late to round up a few more sponsorships?

Server Support:
I recall some discussion of a back up person being trained up on restarting the server or anything else that may need doing during an event.  Did anyone ever volunteer for this role in general, that will also be available during the WC so Omar isn't "on call" 24/7 ?

Anything else?  Any volunteers?

I'll start Smiley I can probably write up 1 game each round and could be available to do the rescheduling.  I think I remember how the tournament tool works after running a few Swiss tournaments last year.
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2011, 11:20pm by Nombril » IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

Re: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2011, 7:32pm »

Omar already asked me if I would serve as the tournament director and I accepted...
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 2:40pm »

Eric, thanks for posting this. It's good to have this organized list of tasks that people can volunteer for. Hopefully people can find things that they can help with and step forward. The past Arimaa events would not have turned out as good as they did without the help of the community.

Here are my thought on some of these items:
1. Writing game summaries for the wiki. Greg has usually done most on this in the past. I'm sure he would appreciate more help from the community. This does require one to have some advanced level understanding of Arimaa; maybe 1800+ and good writing skills.  
2. Providing commentary on the games. It would be great to have commentary on all the games this year since the number of games will be much less than last year. As Eric mentioned you don't have to be a top rated player to help. It would be good to have two commentators during the games; one that is rated at least as good as the players and can provide some insight to the moves and another to do the intro and closing comments, ask questions, give general impressions and thoughts, keep an eye on the chat room questions, and update the listeners on the current status of the game. The rating of the second commentator (anchor) does not matter. Having more than one commentator allows each one to have a little break while the other is talking and avoids dead air.
3. Helping with publicity of the event. Most everyone is involved with other communities and probably have accounts on other forums. Posting a message about the event or an upcoming game in the appropriate section of a forum that you have an account on would be a great way to help more people learn about Arimaa and experience the event. We accept such posts in the 'Off Topic' section of this site and postings by members who are both part of the Arimaa community and other communities have helped us learn about other sites and events. So I am sure similar postings about Arimaa on other sites would be considered appropriate.
4. I have not put any effort this year into trying to find sponsors. I had other things going on and didn't get to work on this. But it's not too late. If anyone could help with this or help with making introductions that would be great.
5. I will be making a video recording of each game, but sometimes I find out after the game that my recording did not turn out right. So it would be great to have someone else also recording the games as a backup.
6. As the tournament coordinator I will schedule the games and keep the tournament moving. Since the tournament can now be run using the tournament management tool, it would be good to have a backup who is also familiar with this tool.

Mark, sorry I forgot to update the event pages to add you as the TD. I just did that now. Thanks for helping out with this.

IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 2:36am »

on Dec 27th, 2011, 7:27pm, Nombril wrote:
Other things that will need doing:

Radio:
* Host the relay (I'm assuming we want 2-3 people for this)
* Provide commentary (not just deep analysis, you don't have to be a top player to ask questions and provide impressions.)
* Make audio and/or combined audio/video recordings

I can help with these 3 items.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 10:07am »

I'm not going to be able to do anything during the month of January, except maybe do a radio commentary or two if the time is just right.  I'm not even expecting to spectate much, unfortunately.

Luckily, February should be a good month for me and I plan to help with commentary and the Wiki.  Since the tournament doesn't begin until January 11th, that means I should be OK for the 4th week.

Today's not too busy at the office so I'll create the tournament page on the Wiki with some player information.

UPDATE:  Here's what I have so far.  This will probably be my only contribution until the month of February.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2012_World_Championship
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2011, 11:12am by Adanac » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 12:34am »

Thanks to all the early volunteers!  If we want to increase the prize fund at all, we have a few days to try and line up a few sponsors.  Sponsors can contribute to the prize fund and (/or ?) provide gift certificates/discounts to the participates.  In return, they are listed/linked on the website and during commentaries.

I've updated this spreadsheet http://goo.gl/5SGmc with the various roles and who has volunteered so far.  Feel free to add your name directly to the spreadsheet on the General Planning tab.

I also added a tab for AV instructions - I know there are various postings in different forums for preferred software and settings.  If someone familiar with the topic has a few minutes, it might be easier to find the information if it was copied over to this location for reference.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 5:07pm »

I will be back in school before long, but if all goes well I will have some time to volunteer.  My hunch is that I should stick to live commentary only, reserving all of my spare Arimaa time for that, and leaving other tasks undone if that's how it turns out.  But is live commentary really most important?

Would it be better to have video capture of every commentated game, but fewer such games, than to have more commentated games, some of which aren't recorded for posterity?  In past years, Adanac has done a terrific job of making a permanent text record; should we divert some attention from video to keep up the text tradition, or should we let it fall by the wayside to maximize the live experience?  And as far as publicity goes, what is the right balance between trying to draw people in as opposed to putting on a good show for people already interested in the games?

Absent any persuasion I will do as much live commentary as I can, and not flinch if that commentary is unrecorded, undocumented, and/or unpublicized. And if school keeps me too busy, it will be a moot point, as I will do nothing of anything, except play my games. Undecided

I suppose the most relevant question is how much time Omar will have for tasks apart from keeping the server up and running.  We probably shouldn't count on him for much more than that given that he's still responding to the forum only sporadically, despite the approaching tournaments.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012, 5:15pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 8:26pm »

Fritz, I think it is reasonable for you to focus on the live commentary.  I recall last year a number of people that weren't terribly eager to be recorded talking live, but happy to help with the recording.  I'm hoping they just aren't planning that far ahead to have signed up for it.

I would love to have a poster to hang up in the ACM lounge on campus.  Were any of the script and graphics arts people involved with the "how to play Arimaa" video interested in putting something together for that?

I'll do what I can to help with the Wiki, I know I've enjoyed the written record of what is happening.  If anyone wants to be the official event reporter, they are welcome to be in charge.  Otherwise it might end up being me?
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 2:16am »

I could try to write some commentary (ocassionaly), but if so, I would need/welcome anybody to correct my English. I am not sure if that would be helpful at all ... isn't writing it from scratch for some native speaker easier.

If a game would be played in suitable time, I would gladly chat/voice comment. If there would be native speaker-comentator (and I expect there would be), I would prefere chatting.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 8:29am »

Hippo -  I think for both the written and vocal media - the people in this community are much more interested in the ideas then the grammar!  I think the past it was even pitched as a good opportunity to practice English.

I'd be happy to check anything you want to write.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 10:38am »

on Jan 6th, 2012, 8:29am, Nombril wrote:
Hippo -  I think for both the written and vocal media - the people in this community are much more interested in the ideas then the grammar!  I think the past it was even pitched as a good opportunity to practice English.

I'd be happy to check anything you want to write.

Oh thanks, you are that polite Wink. OK I will try ...
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 12:39pm »

I've uploaded the settings that I use to do the game recordings:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/ZDSoftSettings.pdf

I'll try to do recordings of all games, but that shouldn't deter others from recording also, since my recording could turn out bad or not as good as someone elses. Recordings can be uploaded to:  
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp
into the 2012 WC folder. The naming convention we've used in the past is:
   R1-woh-Tuks.avi
Basically the round number, gold player, silver player and type of file.

I'll also try to help out with the commentary as needed.  

I think commentary is really important because it captures the excitement of the game. Also the write up of the games in the wiki is important as well. Remember these are some of the highest quality live games among our top rated players. Whatever we record now is all that will be saved about the event for the future.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 9:54am »

I'll take care of the result tables on the wiki.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 7:31am »

I can volunteer for commentary on the Simon-Tuks game.  I'll fill in the spreadsheet once the R1 sheet is up.

Are we going to have 3 separate channels on TeamSpeak, since the first 3 games could be in progress simultaneously?
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 8:05am »

hey adanac, in one of tables its show me and Simon as haing a 0-0 past when in fact i beat him last year in the final 8, i would correct it myself but the login has been changed i think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.