Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship - Volunteers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers  (Read 9843 times)
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 8:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 11th, 2012, 8:05am, Tuks wrote:
hey adanac, in one of tables its show me and Simon as haing a 0-0 past when in fact i beat him last year in the final 8, i would correct it myself but the login has been changed i think

OK, it's fixed.  That game was in the wrong column, shown as Nombril-Simon when it should have been Simon-Tuks.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 10:12am »

on Jan 11th, 2012, 7:31am, Adanac wrote:
I can volunteer for commentary on the Simon-Tuks game.  I'll fill in the spreadsheet once the R1 sheet is up.

Are we going to have 3 separate channels on TeamSpeak, since the first 3 games could be in progress simultaneously?

I can join you for the first hour of the game, and then jump in another channel for one of the other two games. Also, if we're short of commentators, we can also have one team of commentators switching periodically between the different games (in chess tournaments it used to be like this, at some point one commentator would say "ok, let's focus on this other game now", and they would start speaking about how it evolved since they last spoke of it, follow it for a while, and then jump to another game. It was actually not unpleasant at all for spectators, maybe because of the slow pace of the games)
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 10:45am »

As a member of the audience I think I would be more interested in hearing the same commentators discuss the three games, although it has disadvantages too.

Big picture-wise, there may not be enough audience for all the three games.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 12:16pm »

I would be on mobile connection in Mountains so my Teamspeak connection would be probably poor.
I would rather concentrate on wiki ...
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 2:28pm »

on Jan 11th, 2012, 10:45am, rbarreira wrote:
As a member of the audience I think I would be more interested in hearing the same commentators discuss the three games, although it has disadvantages too.

I was hoping to just commentate one game this week, but OK (why not) I'd be up for the challenge of trying 3 games simultaneously  Grin  It might only be 2 simultaneously because the first game could certainly end within 40 moves.  We would need at least 2/3 commentators, maybe with one player keeping an eye on other games while the other commentator(s) discuss the current one.

Would it be a challenge to synchronize the video with the audio for the archives?  Should the video have 3 games screens simultaneously or rotate through the active games as they're discussed?
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2012, 2:32pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 3:20pm »

on Jan 11th, 2012, 2:28pm, Adanac wrote:
We would need at least 2/3 commentators, maybe with one player keeping an eye on other games while the other commentator(s) discuss the current one.

Yes, ideally two commentators and an anchor to keep passing around the baton.  Unfortunately, I might be busy Saturday morning, so I might not get to spectate or commentate. Cry
IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 3:26pm »

on Jan 11th, 2012, 10:45am, rbarreira wrote:

But there will be!  Maybe not now, but this is being recorded for posterity.  In the 4th millennium, this will be huge! "Teacher:  how did they NOT know how significant a contribution to abstract game strategy Arimaa was at the time, computer-wise?  Oh yeah, they were neanderthals back then.  Thanks ... back to kindergarten class."  

Arimaa is destined to be a monster (in the future).  Fritzlein's book:  an archeological gem; Z-Man's Arimmaa version?  Gold.

Tata Steel chess tournament in Wie Aan Zee will be going on at the same time.  But when I get out of classes:  I'm watching/playing over the Arimaa World Championship games, first.

That's my idea of "The Big Picture".
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 5:07pm »

We might get huge numbers of new spectators on the weekend as a result of today's XKCD phenomenon.  Commentators should check out who's in the gameroom and commentate accordingly.  i.e. we may need to explain what a frame is and why it's bad, etc. if the majority of the audience is brand new to Arimaa.  That would be difficult to do unless we split the commentary into 3 separate channels for the first 3 games.

However, I suspect that most new players are just testing the game out for fun and aren't ready to jump into World Championship spectating yet.  In that case, we'll still have small-medium audiences on Saturday and we can still try out the simultaneous broadcasts, if that's what people want.  I'd be willing to try it out as an experiment.  It doesn't hurt to try new ideas.  Is it possible to link the radio to all 3 games and record the total number of unique listeners?

I agree with SpeedRazor that these early World Championship games will be gold for future fans of the game.  But we've already given them dozens of nuggets in the past Wink  It wouldn't hurt to try something different if that's what today's spectators want.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 8:36pm »

Sorry, I'm unlikely to be able to commentate this week because all the games are during my usual sleeping hours!

xkcd, cool!  The only one that made me laugh was snakes and ladders.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 6:13pm »

on Jan 11th, 2012, 2:28pm, Adanac wrote:
I was hoping to just commentate one game this week, but OK (why not) I'd be up for the challenge of trying 3 games simultaneously  Grin

Greg, I have added you as a commentator for Simon vs. Tuks.  I wish I had thought to do that earlier, so that the flood of newcomers would have seen it announced in game room announcements, but better late than never.  If you would rather be listed as commentator for a different game, or for additional games, or not at all, just post here and I will change it.

By the way, has someone volunteered to be radio czar?  If I'm not available for commentary Saturday morning, I'm probably also not available for making sure the radio relay is working.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2012, 6:15pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 6:11am »

on Jan 12th, 2012, 6:13pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Greg, I have added you as a commentator for Simon vs. Tuks.  I wish I had thought to do that earlier, so that the flood of newcomers would have seen it announced in game room announcements, but better late than never.  If you would rather be listed as commentator for a different game, or for additional games, or not at all, just post here and I will change it.

By the way, has someone volunteered to be radio czar?  If I'm not available for commentary Saturday morning, I'm probably also not available for making sure the radio relay is working.

Thanks Fritz!  Since we're not getting a lot of volunteers for Saturday morning commentary (or afternoon in Europe -- and certain Australians aren't willing to commentate at 3am Grin) , I'm still leaning towards one big simultaneous broadcast for all the commentators.  I only see Jean and I so far as volunteers but I'm sure we can pull it off.  I expect 2 commentators doing 3 games will be easier than even a single solo commentary (which I sometimes find difficult, sometimes not).

If we go this route, we should try to show up 1 hour before Simon-Tuks so that we have time to test the recording capabilities.  Maybe create 3 dummy games and test whether we can get a radio relay to all 3 games simultaneously.  Also, although it's a lot of work for whoever is recording, maybe we can cycle the active games in the video file to be in sync with the commentary.  It won't look very good in the archives if we're talking about a different game than what is shown on the screen.

I think having a good archive file is important.  If it's too complicated to have one simultaneous broadcast then we should just have 3 different channels with 3 different recordings.  Jean originally indicated he would do the Nombril-Woh game.  And since I'm already committed to doing a whole morning broadcast, I could commentate on Tuks-Simon and then help co-commentate one of the later games.  We'd still need at least 1 more commentator for Rabbits-Hanzack (that's an important one Wink) in that scenario.

One last thought: We need to have time for interviews, which might occur in the middle of a simultaneous broadcast.  So if Nombril or Tuks, or anybody else wants to do a post-game interview, just come into TeamSpeak as usual and I'm sure we'll be able to find an appropriate time to discuss that recently completed game.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #26 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 6:41am »

on Jan 13th, 2012, 6:11am, Adanac wrote:
Jean originally indicated he would do the Nombril-Woh game.

Arrr, did I? Smiley
As for the radio Czar thing, I'd like to learn. Is there a written ressource that explains how this works? Or would you have time to explain it in TS later today? The video recording (if we have one commentary for all 3 games) is yet another issue, I suppose the simplest way would be to record a single video file with all three games "side by side" and then edit it to show the appropriate board at the right time. The hardest (but without as much post-recording headache) would be for the recorder to jungle manually with the board during the recording. I could do that, but maybe it'd be even better if a non-commentator did it.
IP Logged

thomastanck
Forum Senior Member

6366th Person to register!

« Reply #27 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 6:41am »

I will be watching the game (and burning midnight oil) so if we need more ppl to relay the radio, I can do that. I don't know what I need to do though.
IP Logged

Thomas Tan, a very bad Arimaa player.
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 7:17am »

on Jan 13th, 2012, 6:41am, chessandgo wrote:

Arrr, did I? Smiley

on Jan 11th, 2012, 10:12am, chessandgo wrote:

I can join you for the first hour of the game, and then jump in another channel for one of the other two games.

I'm not a lawyer or anything but you indirectly said you'd commentate Nombril-Woh when you said you'd jump into another channel 1 hour after the Tuks-Simon game Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #29 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 8:13am »

when you state it that way ... Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.