Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 7:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship - Volunteers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers  (Read 9860 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 8:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 12th, 2012, 6:13pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Greg, I have added you as a commentator for Simon vs. Tuks.  .

By the way, you can mention live commentary for woh vs Nombril and hanzack vs rabbits, at least Greg and I should be there. I fear I won't be there for ocmiente vs Adanac, but I hope I'll be able to commentate Fritzlein vs Harren.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 9:42am »

Thanks to whoever updated the radio commentary page with the additional games.  It wasn't parsing correctly because of the "vs"; I took those out and now all games show in announcements as having live commentary.

It is looking less and less likely that I will be able to participate Saturday morning.  Sorry, guys!
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012, 9:42am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #32 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 11:34am »

Jean I've added you for commentary on the three games you mentioned. But I think you will only be able to do two of them, since the first three games are starting just one hour apart. We will most likely have a situation where multiple games are going on simultaneously. So please go to the Volunteers Spreadsheet, select the 'R1' tab and enter what games you would like to commentate on.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet:  
http://goo.gl/5SGmc
It is also linked in the gameroom announcements.

If we have commentators signed up for multiple simultaneous games then I will setup some more rooms in TS. We will probably need multiple people doing the relay; one for each room. Also multiple people doing the recordings; at least one for each game. Lets use the spreadsheet to coordinate.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012, 11:34am by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 11:36am »

on Jan 13th, 2012, 9:42am, Fritzlein wrote:
Thanks to whoever updated the radio commentary page with the additional games.  It wasn't parsing correctly because of the "vs"; I took those out and now all games show in announcements as having live commentary.

It is looking less and less likely that I will be able to participate Saturday morning.  Sorry, guys!

That was me. Thanks for fixing it.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 1:06pm »

Oh, you will relay and record, Omar, excellent. There's only two of us so far though. If we get 6+ commentators we can easily have a channel per game. With 4-5 it's an option. Even with 3 I'd say it's better to just make one team that talks about all games. If no else one volunteers until tomorrow we won't have a choice Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 6:31pm »

on Jan 13th, 2012, 11:34am, omar wrote:
We will probably need multiple people doing the relay; one for each room.

Can more than one relay be broadcast through the Arimaa radio server at the same time?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #36 on: Jan 15th, 2012, 8:14am »

on Jan 13th, 2012, 8:17am, chessandgo wrote:
but I hope I'll be able to commentate Fritzlein vs Harren.

I won't be able to commentate this game unfortunately Sad sorry.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 8:46pm »

I can commentate Sunday morning, Nombril vs. chessandgo and (probably overlapping) Tuks vs. Adanac.  Co-commentators are welcome.  I am willing to focus on the first game while someone else covers the second, but that actually requires a three-man commentary team: one for each game and an anchor to pass control back and forth.  (I am assuming that Arimaa radio can only broadcast one audio stream, even though Omar has never explicitly confirmed this and even implied the contrary.)
IP Logged

thomastanck
Forum Senior Member

6366th Person to register!

« Reply #38 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 9:00pm »

As far as I know, "whatever channel omar is in is the channel that broadcasts", so I think with some coding it shouldn't be hard to have it run 2 channels. Only server side problems should exist...

^-- warning: My thoughts from limited knowledge...

Anyway, thanks Fritzlein for volunteering! I think commentary is very exciting and gives me insight into what the game is about, because games are very fuzzy through my inexperienced eyes.
IP Logged

Thomas Tan, a very bad Arimaa player.
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 4:44pm »

If the times don't change, I can commentate Sunday morning again, same time for Nombril again this week.  I doubt I can commentate a second game unless the weekend is less busy than it is currently shaping up to be.  With Adanac unable to commentate this weekend, it would be a great time for someone new to try their hand at it.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #40 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 5:45pm »

Again, I won't be able to commentate the week-end games I fear Sad
IP Logged

Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #41 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 4:30am »

I guess I could try to commentate on saturday. "Try to" = attempt to say sensible things about the games, maybe unsuccessfully.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2012, 4:33am by Simon » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 10:13am »

on Jan 24th, 2012, 4:30am, Simon wrote:
I guess I could try to commentate on saturday. "Try to" = attempt to say sensible things about the games, maybe unsuccessfully.

Yay!  That's exactly what I do, and I'm glad you will give it a try.  I find that I give my worst commentary when I try to anticipate specific moves, and try to analyze what will happen in response.  Try not to talk about lines of play and variations.  I give my best commentary when I try to say sensible things about the position, like "the elephant wants to be next to the enemy camel".  If you understand something, say it, even if it seems trivial.  This formula will take you a long way as a commentator.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #43 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 2:50pm »

on Jan 24th, 2012, 10:13am, Fritzlein wrote:

Yay!  That's exactly what I do, and I'm glad you will give it a try.  I find that I give my worst commentary when I try to anticipate specific moves, and try to analyze what will happen in response.  Try not to talk about lines of play and variations.  I give my best commentary when I try to say sensible things about the position, like "the elephant wants to be next to the enemy camel".  If you understand something, say it, even if it seems trivial.  This formula will take you a long way as a commentator.

I can commentate early morning games Wednesday-Friday or Monday afternoon.  Nothing on the weekend, though.

I agree with Fritz that it’s much easier to just say general things than to try to predict specific tactical lines.

Me in 2010:
“On 17s the silver horse should move from d5 to c4 to protect the c3 trap.  Oops, I meant silver elephant on e6…I was looking right at the e6 square and couldn’t even say the piece name correctly… Then on 18s it should try to dislodge the b3 gold horse so that the silver elephant can…oops, I mean silver horse, can occupy b3 and get a good position.  Then on 19g the silver camel might be able to push the attacking horse away.  That’s the gold camel, I meant to say, assuming it moves to the west side on 18g.  But can the elephant block that camel, let me look…no wait, that’s not going to work…wow, talking and planning tactics at the same time is tricky.  Oh, a different 17s was just played and everything I just said is completely irrelevant”.

Me in 2012:
“Silver might think about an elephant & horse attack in the southwest quadrant.  Gold will probably shift the camel to the west to deter that on the next move, so the silver player might want to settle for a rabbit pull on the following moves.  Have I mentioned yet that it’s really important for silver to occupy that b3 square?  Twenty times?  Good, because it’s really important to control the opposing traps”.

That’s an exaggeration, of course, but I’m definitely making fewer predictions about upcoming moves and saying more things of a general nature.  It’s so much easier now Wink
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #44 on: Jan 24th, 2012, 9:21pm »

on Jan 24th, 2012, 2:50pm, Adanac wrote:

I can commentate early morning games Wednesday-Friday or Monday afternoon.  Nothing on the weekend, though.

Well how about that, there is a weekday game!  I can co-commentate the first 90 minutes of the chessandgo-hanzack game if someone else can finish the broadcast.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.