Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship - Volunteers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers  (Read 9821 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 9:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar, great job on the video of chessandgo vs. hanzack!  It adds another dimension to have someone following what the commentators are saying and trying to make the video match, for instance by backing up to a previous move the players made that is still under discussion, or by demonstrating a line from the current position that is being speculated about.  It makes the experience much more engaging than seeing only the moves that are actually played.  Thanks!
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #61 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 10:48am »

You did good Simon! Btw, people tend to use the "push to talk" mode instead of voice activation, to avoid you mic turning off when you pause for a few seconds.
IP Logged

Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #62 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 8:06pm »

I do use push to talk, but unpress the hotkey whenever I pause. Is that distracting?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #63 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 8:54pm »

on Jan 28th, 2012, 9:44am, Fritzlein wrote:
Omar, great job on the video of chessandgo vs. hanzack!  It adds another dimension to have someone following what the commentators are saying and trying to make the video match, for instance by backing up to a previous move the players made that is still under discussion, or by demonstrating a line from the current position that is being speculated about.  It makes the experience much more engaging than seeing only the moves that are actually played.  Thanks!

Thanks.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #64 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 9:00pm »

on Jan 28th, 2012, 8:06pm, Simon wrote:
I do use push to talk, but unpress the hotkey whenever I pause. Is that distracting?

It's best to use the press to talk option. That way there is no chance of background sounds causing you TS to get active. Also if you don't have head phones it could get into a feedback look when someone starts talking.

Thanks for helping out with the commentary. Also thanks to nr20 (Jack) for helping out as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012, 9:06pm by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #65 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 9:08pm »

I forgot I had started a page in the wiki for radio commentary notes. I found it today and added more to it. I hope this is useful for the commentators. Please feel free to add to it.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Radio_Commentary_Notes
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #66 on: Jan 29th, 2012, 4:55am »

on Jan 28th, 2012, 8:06pm, Simon wrote:

Oh ok. Well, the listeners might be under the impression that your sentence is over and that they've missed something when your mic stops emitting, or your co-commentators might think it's their turn to talk. But do as you prefer obviously, both are fine!
IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #67 on: Jan 29th, 2012, 5:44am »

on Jan 28th, 2012, 9:44am, Fritzlein wrote:

I had a different experience; I was distracted when alternative moves were being played, sometimes up to 5 or 6 moves in the future, while they didn't always fit the exact commentary at the time. Probably just a personal preference, but I preferred just seeing the current position, and therefore opened  the game myself, and played it using the options 'realtime' and 'auto', while listening to the commentary from the video.

Would it be possible to do both in the future? Or see both screens (current position + alternative moves) in one window?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #68 on: Jan 29th, 2012, 5:55pm »

Yes, doing it when there is a second recorder to make both versions available could be a good idea.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #69 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:31pm »

We desperately need more commentators for round 4.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #70 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:42pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:31pm, omar wrote:

I won't be available for commentary either this week or next week but I will be available for the 6th round.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #71 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:57pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:31pm, omar wrote:

I can't help commentate this round either, but I don't think the need is desperate.  If nobody volunteers, there will simply be some (or all) games with no commentary.  It's not the end of the world.

I remember how burned out you got last year, Omar, from trying to commentate every game when there was no other volunteer.  I hope you don't do the same thing again this year.  Your Arimaa time and energy are too valuable to be squandered in this way.  If you save yourself for more critical things, the Arimaa community will be better off than if you exhaust yourself commentating five games in one weekend.  

I do hope that more new volunteers step forward like Simon has done (and very creditably, I might add).  But if no one does, I hope you don't fall on this particular sword.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:12pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #72 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:06pm »

Looks like I will be home for the Adanac vs hanzack game tomorrow, so I've added my name as commentator if Arimabuff would like company.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #73 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:50pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:06pm, Nombril wrote:
Looks like I will be home for the Adanac vs hanzack game tomorrow, so I've added my name as commentator if Arimabuff would like company.

Thanks for volunteering for this game. It should be quite exciting.

Come on guys, we need someone to help with at least the Fritzlein vs chessandgo game.

Also thanks Patrick for signing up to help out with these games.
IP Logged
Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #74 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 12:13am »

I could give commentary on Harren v. Tuks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.