Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship - Volunteers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers  (Read 9853 times)
tharkun
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7288

Re: 2012 World Championship - Volunteers
« Reply #90 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 7:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 21st, 2012, 7:52pm, omar wrote:
The time for Adanac vs Nombril is at 3pm EST on Monday.

on Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:47am, omar wrote:
That's going to be hard to cover, but I hope someone will provide commentary for it.

I've updated the spreadsheet. Please sign up if you can. Thanks.

I'm confused about the time shown in the spreadsheet. 3pm EST is 9pm in GMT+1, and this time is also shown for me in the gameroom (Scheduled games). However, the spreadsheet seems to suggest that the game will start 4 days and 23 hours from now, which is 2pm in GMT+1. I verified that the current time in the spreadsheet was correct, so I'm baffled.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #91 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:01pm »

The time shown in the gameroom under 'Scheduled Games' should be correct; unless your timezone setting is off, which can be checked by selecting the Time Zone option from the Settings menu.

I wonder if there might be an error in the formula used in the spreadsheet. I just copied it over from the previous sheet.
IP Logged
tharkun
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7288

« Reply #92 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:56pm »

Yes, I tried already to check that my timezone is correct in the settings menu. It is a bit unclear how it works, though. I suppose that "computer time zone offset: 1" means my selected timezone is currently GMT+1, which is correct. However, "offset suggested by your location: 6" seems to contradict this, especially since "location" does show my current location on the world map.

It is possible that I am the culprit myself. The calculations in the spreadsheet seem to work only when the starting point for the time slots and the current time are both measured in the same timezone. The starting time is fixed, but the current time is dependent on the timezone settings (function "now()" ). Thus, I probably misunderstood the given instructions:
Quote:

If the current time shown below is not right then the times above will also be off by the same amount. Adjust the timezone or time on your computer and reopen this page.

I thought that "adjust the timezone" was referring to the spreadsheet, so I changed the timezone settings in the spreadsheet to my own. That was probably not the correct interpretation of the instructions, is it?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #93 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm »

I'm baffled by that page too.  

"Gameroom time zone offset" -6

seems to be working for me, where  

"Computer time zone offset: 0  
Offset suggested by your location is: 6"

is written below. It's kinda strange that we get the same suggested offset while not being in the same time zone. Not sure if that helps you Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #94 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:11pm »

on Feb 16th, 2012, 12:50pm, chessandgo wrote:
Is someone writing a game report for the Adanac-Fritz game of Round 5? I've not contributed yet, so I'd give it a shot unless someone (Vladan?) has already started.

EDIT: oh, I actually went ahead, and just realized that Greg had signed up for the commentary. Hmm, I'm sending you what I've written, feel free to cut and paste, and use or not use it any way you like Smiley

I have not reported since I went to Tignes. May be in next rounds I would again, but I have already reported much more games I have originally expected. I like it, but it could create one sided view ... biased by the same kind of errors ... Smiley. I am happy you and Greg made some reports on your own. ... There are strong players already eliminated ...  
IP Logged

tharkun
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7288

« Reply #95 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:17pm »

Anyway omar, if the time for Adanac vs Nombril really is at 3pm EST (that is 9pm in GMT+1) on Monday then I'm available to co-commentate if you want me to.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #96 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:54pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:17pm, tharkun wrote:
Anyway omar, if the time for Adanac vs Nombril really is at 3pm EST (that is 9pm in GMT+1) on Monday then I'm available to co-commentate if you want me to.

Yes it could be nice discussion with your fresh ideas in the studio Smiley ... so install the teamspeak ... version 3 works well.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #97 on: Feb 24th, 2012, 1:36pm »

Greg, regarding your game report of our Round 6 game:

"the gold elephant turned the tables with a very powerful 28g"

I still have the same feeling as during the post-game interview: doesn't 28s d->e6 r->g7 completely block gold's Elephant? I thought the manoeuver was doomed when I played it, but didn't see what else to do. Am I missing something?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #98 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:07am »

on Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm, chessandgo wrote:
I'm baffled by that page too.  

"Gameroom time zone offset" -6

seems to be working for me, where  

"Computer time zone offset: 0  
Offset suggested by your location is: 6"

is written below. It's kinda strange that we get the same suggested offset while not being in the same time zone. Not sure if that helps you Smiley

Maybe your location is not setup. To fix the location select 'Location' from the 'Settings' menu.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #99 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:08am »

on Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:17pm, tharkun wrote:

Yes, certainly. That would be great.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #100 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 7:28am »

on Feb 26th, 2012, 12:07am, omar wrote:

Maybe your location is not setup. To fix the location select 'Location' from the 'Settings' menu.

My location seems correct. Just to check, we should put minus the "Offset suggested by your location" as a rule (in which case it's be working fine for me)?
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012, 7:31am by chessandgo » IP Logged

hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #101 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 10:20am »

Why not just write something along the lines of "the game is scheduled for [time] [day] GMT, which should be [time] [day] in [location],  which you have set as your location".  

Or maybe your local time should be first. But that way, it will be immediately apparent if your time isn't working right, and you have GMT visible as a fall-back.  

I hope it's not too presumptuous to offer comments on UI elements I haven't seen, but I just thought something of the sort might alleviate the confusion.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #102 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:54pm »

Turns out I won't be able to attend the Nombril vs Adanac game. Arimaabuff and Hippo will be providing commentary. It would be great if someone can record it. Fritz if you can do the radio relay that would really help. Otherwise, I will setup a computer to do the radio relay from Studio1 and leave it running.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:55pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #103 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 11:24am »

on Feb 26th, 2012, 12:54pm, omar wrote:
Turns out I won't be able to attend the Nombril vs Adanac game. Arimaabuff and Hippo will be providing commentary. It would be great if someone can record it. Fritz if you can do the radio relay that would really help. Otherwise, I will setup a computer to do the radio relay from Studio1 and leave it running.

Sorry, I didn't see this until too late, and anyway the best I could have done is what you propose; set up a computer with the relay and leave it running.  I will be at school all day, and actually in class during the game.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #104 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 1:16pm »

OK, I'll setup the relay. But I won't be able to help much with commentary.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.