Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship  (Read 9063 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2012 World Championship
« on: Jan 4th, 2012, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now that registration has closed, it is time to switch from the format discussion thread to the tournament discussion thread.  Tomorrow I will be back home from the holidays.  Apparently I now play Harren in the first round, thanks to hanzack's last-minute registration.  Is there a place to enter times in the scheduler, or do we have to wait for the pairing e-mail to do that?

The tournament promises to be thrilling this year; I for one am made nervous by the money riding on every game.  It's not like last year's format where losses in the qualifier were forgiven before the final.  Not that I have high hopes anyway given my scant training time.  Tongue
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2012 World Championship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 11:58am »

I'll be sending out an email with the link to the time page soon. For me as a spectator, it makes the games more interesting to watch knowing the stakes are high and that the players have some skin in the game Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012, 12:01pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 10:18am »

Thanks for the scheduling link.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 10:59am »

on Jan 4th, 2012, 10:34am, Fritzlein wrote:

The tournament promises to be thrilling this year; I for one am made nervous by the money riding on every game.  It's not like last year's format where losses in the qualifier were forgiven before the final.  Not that I have high hopes anyway given my scant training time.  Tongue

I think you are still fine Wink. Adanac didn't trained that much this year and your postal mixer games shown how strong you are strategically. Just be carefull not to panic at the endgames;).

Yes this year the field is very strong. I wonder how strong would hanzack be this year after one WC appearence. Harren and Nombril are still rapidly improving, let us see, what will Tuks and rabbits show.

I cannot guess, how strong chessandgo is. It seems to me you have (psychologically) bad matchup with him, but he could be surprised by our black horses (as was by rabbits last year).

Yes that would be exciting WC and I am looking forward for it (even just as spectator).
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 11:46am »

on Jan 8th, 2012, 10:59am, Hippo wrote:
Just be carefull not to panic

Easier said than done, especially with the larger prize pool.  The money aspect works to my disadvantage.  It makes it harder for me to think about playing instead of thinking about winning and losing.  The games haven't even started and I am already nervous.  Undecided
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 12:19pm »

on Jan 8th, 2012, 11:46am, Fritzlein wrote:

Easier said than done, especially with the larger prize pool.  The money aspect works to my disadvantage.  It makes it harder for me to think about playing instead of thinking about winning and losing.  The games haven't even started and I am already nervous.  Undecided

Just don't consider arimaa WC to be your job ... play for fun and play your best. Be happy with the final gain, but don't count it till the end of the WC Wink.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 8:43pm »

I think Fritz is just trying to convince everyone to not take him as a serious contender so we don't prepare enough for our game(s) against him.  Grin

I'd like to confirm if there are any changes in the rescheduling policy this year.

2011 and 2012 rules both state that game times couldn't be changed after Tuesday night.

In 2011, if both players both agreed to a new time after Tuesday night, the game time was allowed to be rescheduled.

The email sent out to the players is very specific that due to inconvenience to observers' and commentators' plans, rescheduling will not be accepted after Tuesday night.  So will the rule will be enforced this year?   Even to the point of a forfeit game occurring because a reschedule will not be allowed?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 10:39pm »

I, too, would like clarification on the "no scheduling changes after the second scheduler run" rule.  Either enforce it absolutely (including a forfeit when one player has an emergency and the other player is willing to postpone the game time by a day) or take the rule off the books.  I hate rules that are not enforced, because they penalize people who try to abide by them and reward people to don't abide by them.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 12:00pm »

Just now I have noted 99of9 have not registered as well.
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 12:12pm »

What I sort of want to know is... When are we going to start!?

Release the beasts!
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 2:15pm »

on Jan 8th, 2012, 10:59am, Hippo wrote:

I think you are still fine Wink. Adanac didn't trained that much this year and your postal mixer games shown how strong you are strategically. Just be carefull not to panic at the endgames;).

Yes this year the field is very strong. I wonder how strong would hanzack be this year after one WC appearence. Harren and Nombril are still rapidly improving, let us see, what will Tuks and rabbits show.

I cannot guess, how strong chessandgo is. It seems to me you have (psychologically) bad matchup with him, but he could be surprised by our black horses (as was by rabbits last year).

Yes that would be exciting WC and I am looking forward for it (even just as spectator).

nombril has improved in postals, but what about real-time Smiley I'm hoping not so much, haha, because if its according to postal i have no chance.

and you are right about harren, can't deny that after i lost to him recently
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 10:13pm »

Don't worry about me, I'm timing out too often to be a serious threat.  And I thought I was getting worse at postal speeds - I lost my first ever postal games during the mixer.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 10:23pm »

on Jan 8th, 2012, 8:43pm, Nombril wrote:

I'd like to confirm if there are any changes in the rescheduling policy this year.

2011 and 2012 rules both state that game times couldn't be changed after Tuesday night.

In 2011, if both players both agreed to a new time after Tuesday night, the game time was allowed to be rescheduled.

The email sent out to the players is very specific that due to inconvenience to observers' and commentators' plans, rescheduling will not be accepted after Tuesday night.  So will the rule will be enforced this year?   Even to the point of a forfeit game occurring because a reschedule will not be allowed?

Yes, there will not be any changes to the scheduled game time after it is finalized. We've said that in the past but did not really enforce it. I think we should start enforcing it so that everyone is on the same page. I think it will work out better that way. It could mean a game is lost due to forfeit, but that's part of strictly following rules. I will run the scheduler shortly after the last game of the round is over. That way players know sooner what their game time will be and have more time to contact their opponent.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 10:25pm »

on Jan 9th, 2012, 12:12pm, The_Jeh wrote:
What I sort of want to know is... When are we going to start!?

Release the beasts!

Round one games have been scheduled. Let the games begin !!!
IP Logged
MerlokDD
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #6930

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11th, 2012, 2:53am »

Dear all,

is somewhere a link to the actual schedule?
All I found is related to the 2011 WC or pre-tournament announcements...

Thx a lot.

MerlokDD
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.