Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship  (Read 9099 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2012 World Championship
« Reply #60 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 7:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 13th, 2012, 6:40am, Adanac wrote:
What will the next pairings be in the 4 possible scenarios from round 6?

I don't know for sure, but my rough guess is that you play each of your four remaining opponents in one of the four scenarios.  How's that for unhelpful?

[edit]
Yep, rbarriera verifies here: http://pastebin.com/UNQsQSwN
You could play anyone next round!
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012, 7:52am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #61 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 9:08am »

on Feb 13th, 2012, 7:31am, Fritzlein wrote:

I don't know for sure, but my rough guess is that you play each of your four remaining opponents in one of the four scenarios.  How's that for unhelpful?

[edit]
Yep, rbarriera verifies here: http://pastebin.com/UNQsQSwN
You could play anyone next round!

Wow, in the statistically most-likely scenario I will be playing Jean again in round 7  Shocked  No pressure on me at all Cool

So hanzack needs me to lose for him to receive a round 7 bye and I need hanzack to win to avoid a 3rd straight round of Fritzlein-chessandgo-chessandgo or Fritzlein-chessandgo-Fritzlein.

And I notice that if Fritzlein & I both win this round the four survivors will all have a 4-1 record.  So nobody is assured at least a 3rd place finish yet?
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012, 9:12am by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #62 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 11:55am »

on Feb 13th, 2012, 9:08am, Adanac wrote:
And I notice that if Fritzlein & I both win this round the four survivors will all have a 4-1 record.  So nobody is assured at least a 3rd place finish yet?

Yes, I guess I jumped the gun to say hanzack had at least third place wrapped up, although he could easily take third without winning another game.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012, 12:16pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #63 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 12:06pm »

I think I'm going to enjoy having a week off while the rest of you play another game  Tongue

Adanac, I came to the same conclusion about guaranteed top 3 finishes...seems noone is guaranteed.  (But keep in mind our actual tournament only recognizes a first place finisher...it seems many are eager to recognize 2nd/3rd, so that should be a consideration for next year's format)

I noticed aaaa in the chat room mention that the TFE format has been receiving undue criticism.  I hope my comments can lead to constructive tweaks - I certainly like it better then a format where initial seeds always get the lowest remaining seeded player, etc.

(PS Adanac, I do have hours available later in the day on Feb 27th, in case we end up paired.)
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #64 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 12:13pm »

on Feb 13th, 2012, 6:40am, Adanac wrote:
Monday, February 27th is by far the most convenient day for me to play in round 7 but if my possible opponents can't play that day I'll have to move my schedule around in advance.  Thanks  Smiley

For the record, I can't play on the 27th, and have none of the slots checked even as an emergency lowest preference, so if it is looking like we will be paired, start scrambling.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #65 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 12:16pm »

on Feb 13th, 2012, 12:13pm, Fritzlein wrote:

For the record, I can't play on the 27th, and have none of the slots checked even as an emergency lowest preference, so if it is looking like we will be paired, start scrambling.

OK, thanks for letting me know.  The silver lining is that I'll only encounter this particular dilemma after a victory.  And if hanzack & I both pull off upsets then I'll play Nombril who is free that day.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 12:44pm »

Well, at least I put on a good show while going down in flames.  Hanzack's victory over me had 48 peak radio viewers, not only a record for the tournament, but a record for all time.  Also there were 32 in chat and 48 in the gameroom (not a record).
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #67 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 2:26pm »

Hanzack is a relatively unknown player to people with a rating of less than 1900 (due to an artificially deflated rating) and so the fact that he is unbeaten while facing all of the "unbeatable" opponents is raising everyone's hopes that they can be #1 at some point. Also his play style seems to be very unique which is why I personally am eager to watch his games.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #68 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 3:35pm »

Yeah, hanzack is a great story.  The mystery man, of unknown ability, signing up at the last minute, and in all three of his games against "unbeatable" players, coming back from a worse position to win.

The best part is that while chessandgo, Adanac, and I were playing only sporadically throughout the year, hanzack was playing incessantly.  From this I infer:  (1) Hard work pays off.  (2) Playing against strong bots pays off, at least if you intentionally win with a variety of crazy styles like hanzack does, rather than relying on the same safe method to win over and over.
IP Logged

Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #69 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 5:40am »

From the chat archive (NZ time):
2011-11-07 19:35:36 froody last I saw it seems like c&g was untouchable
2011-11-07 19:36:17 Swynndla but Hanzack might beat him

... see I'm a talent spotter!  Wink
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #70 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 7:45am »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 3:35pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Yeah, hanzack is a great story.  The mystery man, of unknown ability, signing up at the last minute, and in all three of his games against "unbeatable" players, coming back from a worse position to win.

Maybe it is time to revisit this thread?  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1323851616

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #71 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 10:51am »

on Feb 20th, 2012, 7:45am, mistre wrote:
Maybe it is time to revisit this thread?  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1323851616

Haha.  Probably froody is going to show up and claim that he won his $100 bet with me, because it wasn't actually hanzack winning the World Championship, it was froody in disguise, or a cyborg hanzack/froody/computer team.

Of course, since froody didn't even register for the World Championship, he still owes me $1, but I've given up on collecting it.  I doubt we'll ever hear from him again.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #72 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 7:52pm »

I've finalized the schedule for round 7. The time for Adanac vs Nombril is at 3pm EST on Monday. Is this really what the players wanted or was there a problem?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #73 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 8:34pm »

on Feb 21st, 2012, 7:52pm, omar wrote:
I've finalized the schedule for round 7. The time for Adanac vs Nombril is at 3pm EST on Monday. Is this really what the players wanted or was there a problem?

Judging from chat, they would have opted for an even later time on Monday, but it wasn't within the schedule window.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #74 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:47am »

Thanks for checking. That's going to be hard to cover, but I hope someone will provide commentary for it.

I've updated the spreadsheet. Please sign up if you can. Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.