Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship  (Read 9087 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2012 World Championship
« Reply #90 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 10:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've setup the game for 3rd place.  Seems there is popular demand to determine 3rd place. It's easy enough this year. I don't what we would do if 6 players tied for 3rd.

I'll be there to record it if anyone wants to commentate.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #91 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 11:49pm »

on Mar 9th, 2012, 10:58pm, omar wrote:
I don't what we would do if 6 players tied for 3rd.

There is an easy fix.  If two or more players are tied for 3rd (same number of wins), than the two players with the highest performance rating play for 3rd place.

2nd place is also easy - it is whoever loses last to the champion (regardless of number of wins) and therefore there can be no ties.

Similarly, all places below 3rd are first based on wins, then performance rating.  No ties required!

IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #92 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 9:05pm »

Personally, it feels like performance rating over a short tournament can be useful for setting up pairings - but I'm very hesitant to support using them for anything more important.  

I was wondering about having an extended number of "lives".  After losing n games (3 this year for triple elimination) you play other players (as they become available) that also have lost n games.  Eventually, only 1 person will have just n losses, and will be the second place finisher.  Same for n+1 losses, to decided the 3rd place finisher.

I guess it is essentially a single elimination tournament outside of the first place tournament, starting with players who get knocked out first.

A side benefit is to have an opportunity for additional closely matched games towards the middle and end of the tournament.

It seems at most it could extend the tournament by 1 week?  (In the case there is one person waiting and 2 out of the last 4 people are eliminated in the same week.)  (Oh - maybe another week to decide 3rd place...)
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #93 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 9:32pm »

So, kind of like a consolation bracket?  Not a bad idea because these games could be played while the other games are still going on and would not have to extend the length of the tournament.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #94 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 9:51pm »

Yeah, consolation bracket is a much better way to say it!  Nested 2 deep to get 2nd and 3rd place.

It would extend the tournament length if the last remaining person in the consolation bracket will play the person knocked out of the final game against the champion.

But yes, the majority of the extra games would be parallel to the primary games.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #95 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 11:17am »

We could keep the Open Classic/World Championship format, guarantee everyone a minimum number of games, and effectively make the equivalent of a quadruple-elimination Open Classic.  For example, a 10-round Swiss system in which everyone with 7 or more wins advances to the finals.  Follow that with a single-elimination folding bracket World Championship Finals.  

Or maybe an 8-round Swiss followed by a double-elimination Finals for everyone with 6 or more wins.  That would make the Open Classic a triple-elimination.  I think either system could easily accomodate 64 players within a reasonable period of time.  I like the idea of having a preliminary Swiss that anyone can join for the right to participate in the Finals, and everyone has a shot at the coveted #1 seed.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #96 on: Mar 19th, 2012, 4:15pm »

Just so that the record can be searched here as well as in the chat archive:  For the final game there were 83 peak radio listeners and 41 players logged into chat (without me Cry).  What an amazing success!
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2012, 4:16pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #97 on: Mar 20th, 2012, 11:01am »

on Mar 19th, 2012, 4:15pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Just so that the record can be searched here as well as in the chat archive:  For the final game there were 83 peak radio listeners and 41 players logged into chat (without me Cry).  What an amazing success!

Amazing, and good to know that the server can handle that many people streaming commentary audio.
IP Logged
Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #98 on: Mar 20th, 2012, 11:10am »

on Mar 20th, 2012, 11:01am, rbarreira wrote:

Amazing, and good to know that the server can handle that many people streaming commentary audio.

Well, actually it couldn't. When the number of radio listeners came above 80, the sound went weird and the voices were not understandable anymore...
But amazing numbers indeed.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #99 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 9:26am »

on Mar 20th, 2012, 11:10am, Manuel wrote:

Well, actually it couldn't. When the number of radio listeners came above 80, the sound went weird and the voices were not understandable anymore...
But amazing numbers indeed.

Sometimes that happens even when we don't have many listeners and I just need to restart the radio relay program to fix it. I was impressed that the server handled the load with much problems.

Overall it's been a very smooth year for the WC and WCC events without any games needing to be restarted or situations arising that require the TD to intervene.  

A big thanks to everyone who helped to make the events so successful this year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.