Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 BGG Con »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 BGG Con
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 BGG Con  (Read 1708 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2012 BGG Con
« on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is anyone planning to attend this convention. If we have enough interest I can arrange some face to face Arimaa tournaments there.

Here is the link to the registration page:
http://boardgamegeek.com/bggcon
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2012 BGG Con
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:49am »

I wasn't planning on attending.  BGG was a tough recruiting ground last time; people attend to get to play the newest and hottest eurogames; they have no interest in abstracts.  You wouldn't be able to get enough people for a tournament.  There would admittedly be some promotional value in setting up one of ocmiente's sets and just playing each other all day for five days, but that's probably not worth two $85 tickets.

What we need is a chess  convention.  Do those exist, or just chess tournaments?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:52pm »

As a way of recruiting Arimaa players, I agree this is not the right convention. But I was thinking of this more as a way for the existing Arimaa players to meet up offline. I figured if some Arimaa players are already going to it, it would be good motivation for more of us to join.

Just trying to avoid something like this:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1290127401
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012, 1:00pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 3:42pm »

Yeah, good point.  I would have loved to meet Evan.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 1:58pm »

I'm going this year with my wife. (and meeting up with lots of, as of now, non-converted-to-Arimaa friends) If a F2F Arimaa tournament happened, I would go to it.

But as far as recruitment goes, I agree with Fritzl.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 3:19pm »

I'm surprised they are not sold out yet.  The expansion in venue must have been dramatic enough to meet the demand.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 10:04am »

on Mar 27th, 2012, 3:19pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I'm surprised they are not sold out yet.  The expansion in venue must have been dramatic enough to meet the demand.

Last year, while they did sell out quickly, the number of people who ultimately had to sell their tickets and people who were still trying to get tickets about balanced out in the end. I think I read it was around 1100 people? I think this year they've about doubled the registration size, and are already 75% sold out, so I'm not surprised.

I think the expansion in venue was a good idea. Not to mention that now they were able to change venue... They had an agreement to use their last venue for multiple years, which gave them a really good rate.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.