Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 World Championship Commentary »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 World Championship Commentary
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 World Championship Commentary  (Read 6796 times)
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: 2013 World Championship Commentary
« Reply #15 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 8th, 2013, 7:38am, Fritzlein wrote:

Actually, the two games with Asian players (alien1020hk and 99of9) still have neither a main commentator nor a co-commentator.  Most of North America will be asleep!

Except New York, the city that never sleeps.  Grin
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #16 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 3:29pm »

It looks like I just misread the time for the alien1020-Thiagor game and should easily be able to make it, but I can't so easily commentate the 99of9-Skrypt game because I would have to stay up late the previous night already commentating the browni3141-herima game. But having one uncommentated game makes me unhappy; if anyone is able and willing to cover either of these games, I can cover the other and be satisfied with having ensured that every round 1 game had live commentary.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 9th, 2013, 11:20am »

It appears supersamu has signed up to co-commentate 99of9 vs. Skrypt, so every first-round game has some coverage.  Thanks for your heroic commentary efforts, clyring!
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2013, 11:20am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #18 on: Jan 9th, 2013, 4:00pm »

on Jan 9th, 2013, 11:20am, Fritzlein wrote:
It appears supersamu has signed up to co-commentate 99of9 vs. Skrypt, so every first-round game has some coverage.  Thanks for your heroic commentary efforts, clyring!

Yes, very commendable, indeed! I'll try to be there whenever I can to offer a helping hand.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:26pm »

It seemed to work out well when I accidentally left the relay running on my desktop computer.  I don't often need to use the desktop, which raises the possibility of my leaving the relay on 24/7.  Is this a good idea?

Pro: We don't have to recruit volunteers and divvy up the games.

Con: If something goes wrong, I will likely be unavailable to fix it, whereas an active volunteer could restart the relay, as Omar often had to do in past years.  I suppose that if a relay volunteer could be found on the spot, everyone could simply move to Studio 2 and relay from there, ignoring my relay, although I don't know what happens to the radio if two people relay simultaneously.

So, is it worth the convenience in exchange for magnifying a failure?
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #20 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 5:14am »

Quote:
If something goes wrong, I will likely be unavailable to fix it, whereas an active volunteer could restart the relay

You could consider starting a teamviewer.exe on your PC and granting access to trustworthy persons.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 9:20am »

on Jan 13th, 2013, 5:26pm, Fritzlein wrote:
although I don't know what happens to the radio if two people relay simultaneously.

Clyring suggested in chat that if a second person starts a relay, the first person is booted off, which greatly minimizes the downside of my leaving the relay running all week.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #22 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 4:14am »

I can't be more precise than that but I promise I'll help to do the commentating as often as I can.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 9:43am »

Your commentary is welcome regardless of your ability to know when you can give it.  I will have the relay running the whole time.  Note, however, that when no commentators have signed up, I won't enable the embedding of the radio widget in advance, as that also advertises the games as "with live commentary", which may not come true.  I don't want to mislead and disappoint the potential audience.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #24 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:10pm »

I put my name as co-commentator when there is a great chance that I'll be able to make it even if it's part of the time. That's the best I can do.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:51pm »

on Jan 15th, 2013, 1:10pm, Arimabuff wrote:
I put my name as co-commentator when there is a great chance that I'll be able to make it even if it's part of the time. That's the best I can do.

Cool, I have added the embedded radio player for the first two games of the round.  Thanks!
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #26 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 9:32am »

For any commentator who is wondering, I would prefer the following pronunciation for my in-game name (mistray).  
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #27 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 12:50pm »

on Jan 16th, 2013, 9:32am, mistre wrote:
For any commentator who is wondering, I would prefer the following pronunciation for my in-game name (mistray).  

This would be a good addition to the player info page in the game room.  

For 'ocmiente': ,oakmi'ente.  Did not find a pronunciation key in ASCII quickly enough to use it, and forum doesn't appear to support non-ascii characters very well, but basically say it as someone speaking Spanish would.  Long 'o' to start (as in 'boat'), second syllable with long 'e' as in 'feet', major emphasis on third syllable and minor emphasis on first, penultimate and last syllables' vowels sound like 'e' in 'met'.  
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2013, 1:55pm by ocmiente » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #28 on: Jan 27th, 2013, 2:23pm »

Thanks to all the commentators for the great coverage and commentary we have been getting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to all of it myself.

Just one thing, especially as we're getting into a stage of the tournament where many new players will be playing against each other now. The commentary on the lower level games can be a great help for both of the players to improve, showing them where they missed things over the board. Please remember though to be respectful of the players and their feelings no matter how they are playing.

Thanks again and I look forward to listening to you all for the rest of the tournament.

Janzert
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #29 on: Feb 4th, 2013, 3:38pm »

Unfortunately, I have been plagued by a bad connection lately. Hopefully, I'll do better next time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.