Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2014 World Championship Format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2014 World Championship Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2014 World Championship Format  (Read 7566 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2014 World Championship Format
« Reply #45 on: Apr 27th, 2013, 6:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 23rd, 2013, 3:13pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Omar, what is your vision for the 2014 Arimaa World Championship?

I would love to see another big tournament. But it's not a must. More importantly I would love to see another community member stepping up to organize the event. If the next organizer wants to change the format a bit, I'm open to considering it; especially if that's what it takes to get one motivated. If I am the organizer, I would like to give the big format a try, but only if I'm able to find enough help for running the event. I don't want to be the TD or TC if possible.

One way to ensure a big tournament next year is to start something like a kickstarter now to pool some funds for the event. For example if we raise $4000 for the event we could set aside $2000 for the prize fund and $2000 to pay the event helpers like commentators, TD, etc. With some money set aside for running the event, I'm sure we could find enough help. Four thousand might sound like a lot but if we could get 400 people to pitch in $10 to help the next WC be a big event that would do it. Also we could try to find sponsors for the event.

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2013, 6:18am by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #46 on: Apr 27th, 2013, 1:01pm »

on Apr 27th, 2013, 6:06am, omar wrote:
If I am the organizer, I would like to give the big format a try, but only if I'm able to find enough help for running the event. I don't want to be the TD or TC if possible.

OK, then I nominate Omar for organizer and Janzert for Tournament Director.  I am willing to be one of the group of Tournament Coordinators if that means I can still participate as a player.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #47 on: Apr 27th, 2013, 5:43pm »

on Apr 27th, 2013, 1:01pm, Fritzlein wrote:

OK, then I nominate Omar for organizer and Janzert for Tournament Director.

Thanks Fritz. Knowing that you had already declined for next year, I had been planning to throw my hat in the ring. But I have to make a disclaimer along with my offer to do it.

First my work schedule is such that calling it a schedule is a misnomer. Wink Fortunately during the time of the championship I generally do have a lot of free time. Unfortunately the two regularly scheduled things in my life are Sunday's (when many of the games are played) and Monday evening at 7pm eastern (when the scheduler should be run). Especially with the great team of TCs here, I don't think any of that is insurmountable but there may be someone else who won't have the time conflicts.

While I'm willing to TD unless something really weird were to happen where I couldn't agree with the rules used, I'm also willing to work on setting up the rules for next year. My goal would be to keep the same format and base as this year. Making a few tweaks and adding for various things not explicitly covered currently. Most changes we need I expect have probably been at least mentioned in this thread already.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #48 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 10:24am »

Woohoo!  I'm thrilled you are willing to be the TD, Janzert, and if I had known you were considering it, I would have been less worried.  I've been fishing for a 2014 organizer for over two months and haven't even gotten a nibble.  I don't hear a chorus of disappointed wails from people who wanted to be in charge; rather a huge collective sigh of relief from people who like a big tournament and want it to happen again.  Let's just consider it settled that you are TD, so that you can get to work as soon as you have time and energy.

I don't quite understand Omar's distinction between organizer and TD, but I do understand that if you are willing to take charge of something, he will let you.  In particular, the way I interpret his last post, I think you can go right ahead and start drafting the 2014 rules for discussion.  I believe that is the best way to carry forward the conversation, because it is easier to react to something concrete than to imagine abstractly.

I encourage you to mold the format into whatever type of tournament you think would be fun.  It was a major support to my motivation for the 2013 tournament that essentially everything was the way I wanted it to be.  That kept me cheerful and grateful.  When I feel obliged to run things in a way I don't particular care for, I always start to think, "I'm not getting paid enough for this.  
Wait, I'm not getting paid anything for this!"  Wink

Putting your stamp on the tournament is more than just a way to keep things fun and pay you for your time; it is also a way to contribute ideas and show that they can work.  If I were to run the tournament again, it would be nearly a carbon copy, because everything was already running my way.  Having a new person in charge is an opportunity to show that more than one format can work without having a stick-in-the-mud veto new ideas that haven't had a chance to prove themselves.

Grab this tournament with both hands and run with.  I'm sure you will do a fantastic job.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #49 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 12:51pm »

Hey great news, thanks for stepping up Janzert! And congrats to Fritz and all the organizers for a very smooth run in 2013.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #50 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 8:40pm »

Janzert, I'm delighted to hear that you can be the TD for the 2014 WC. You've been a member of the Arimaa community for a very long time and have made many contributions in the past (bot_OpFor, Arimaa Engine Interface software, branching factor analysis, material evaluation calculators, etc). Although you have not participated in any tournaments, I know you have a good understanding of how the tournaments are run and I trust your judgement to serve as an excellent TD. Thanks for stepping forward.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #51 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 10:10pm »

on Apr 28th, 2013, 10:24am, Fritzlein wrote:

I don't quite understand Omar's distinction between organizer and TD, but I do understand that if you are willing to take charge of something, he will let you.  In particular, the way I interpret his last post, I think you can go right ahead and start drafting the 2014 rules for discussion.  I believe that is the best way to carry forward the conversation, because it is easier to react to something concrete than to imagine abstractly.

In the 2013 WC you were wearing several hats. I have defined the roles in this Wiki page:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Event_Roles

So based on that you were the organizer (you chose who would fill what roles), the legislator (you wrote the rules), the coordinator (you ran the tournament management tool) and the director (you made the final ruling on how to proceed when unexpected situations came up). The referee role mentioned in the wiki is actually what we referred to as TCs in the 2013 WC.

For the 2014 WC I will serve as the organizer and Janzert can serve as legislator, coordinator and director. As the organizer I will try to make this event even bigger than the previous one.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2013, 10:18pm by omar » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #52 on: Apr 30th, 2013, 4:04am »

Thanks Omar and everyone. I look forward to building on the great base of support that has been built in this community, site and rules that have developed over the years here.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.