Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 World Championship  (Read 10706 times)
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Re: 2013 World Championship
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14th, 2013, 7:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We use our gas stove to stay warm when the power goes out for several days due to a winter storm.

I'm sorry that you couldn't play in round six, UMDRevan.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #46 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 4:24pm »

There was some question in chat whether Hippo lost to Rmzna today on time or by forfeit.  The game logs show

1361131209 [Sun Feb 17 20:00:09 2013] w player joining  
1361131210 [Sun Feb 17 20:00:10 2013] w player present  
1361132163 [Sun Feb 17 20:16:03 2013] b player joining  

Since Hippo arrived more than 15 minutes late, he loses by forfeit.  It is a moot point as the tournament continues the same way in either case.  It is sad to see anyone lose on connection issues, and doubly so to see a high seed eliminated from the finals for this reason.

Also the top board this round was an extremely exciting game decided when rabbits lost connection.  At times like these I wish we didn't have to hold the World Championship over the Internet.  I have to keep reminding myself that without the Internet, there would be no World Championship of Arimaa.   Undecided
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #47 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:07am »

Well, school has been hammering me lately, so I haven't had as much time for the tournament.  The good news is that everything ran quite smoothly in my semi-absence.  One of my goals for this year is to demonstrate that a large tournament doesn't have to consume the life of the Tournament Director and cause him to completely burn out.  Much of the procedure is automated, the players generally do what they are supposed to do, and many community volunteers pitch in to help keep things on track.  (Shout out to aaaa for the wiki crosstable and clyring for tireless commentary.)  The fact that I can be TD while leading a somewhat normal life should make it less intimidating for someone else to volunteer as TD for 2014.

I wasn't able to be present for all of Round 6, but I noticed that for top board Boo vs. rabbits, there were 38 logged into the game room, 22 simultaneously in chat, and 30 listening to the live radio broadcast.  The excitement continues to build.

We have 17, 18, or 19 games left in the tournament, depending on whether the eventual winner loses zero, one, or two times.  We will try to guarantee recorded live commentary for each of those games; I would love to be one of those commentators myself, time permitting.  The slower time control makes the games higher quality and gives more opportunity to pontificate about strategies and speculate about upcoming moves.  Given the incredible games we have already had, I'm excited just thinking about what is still to come.

One additional bit of fun for the finals is the spectator contest.  You can win a cash prize on every game.  Sign up before the final round starts! http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2013/predict/

Now that the number of finalists has been set, so have the prize payouts:

1 16102
2  8051
3  5367
4  4026
5  3220
6  2684
7  2300
8  2013
9  1789
10 1610
11 1464
12 1342
13 1239
14 1150

The prizes won't be paid out until after the tournament is over, even for eliminated players, because later games can affect the performance rating of eliminated players, and thus their final ranking.

Have fun, everyone, and cross your fingers for a minimum of technical difficulties!
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #48 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:10am »

Although it works out this time, I'm curious to know how you would have handled the prize distribution if the rounded figures didn't add up exactly right.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #49 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 4:49pm »

I just wander what would happen if I were not expecting I lost on forfeit and I would start the game...

And what would happen if I would log two minutes earlier and played just one move ...

Anyways I have enjoyed the turnament even when I have not expect to leave it so early. See you next yearSmiley

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #50 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 7:57pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:10am, aaaa wrote:
Although it works out this time, I'm curious to know how you would have handled the prize distribution if the rounded figures didn't add up exactly right.

Donated the extra cent to arimaa.com?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #51 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 8:01pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2013, 4:49pm, Hippo wrote:
I just wander what would happen if I were not expecting I lost on forfeit and I would start the game...

Then you would have forfeited.

Quote:
And what would happen if I would log two minutes earlier and played just one move ...

Then you would have lost on time, unless you had kept playing.  Either way, the result and the pairing the next round would have been the same.

Quote:
Anyways I have enjoyed the turnament even when I have not expect to leave it so early. See you next yearSmiley

Super, I'm glad you had a good time.  I was hoping you feel about the tournament the same way I do: it is worse than if the Internet were reliable, but better than if the Internet didn't exist.  I hope something like the current format happens again next year, and I hope you are able to play then too.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #52 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 5:51am »

on Feb 23rd, 2013, 7:57pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Donated the extra cent to arimaa.com?

That's certainly one way of going about things, but given that the prizes are supposed to be in proportion to each other, I myself think that the right course of action would have been to adjust the divisor to the point that the rounded figures would add up.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #53 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 7:46am »

on Feb 24th, 2013, 5:51am, aaaa wrote:

That's certainly one way of going about things, but given that the prizes are supposed to be in proportion to each other, I myself think that the right course of action would have been to adjust the divisor to the point that the rounded figures would add up.

Makes sense.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #54 on: Mar 4th, 2013, 1:54pm »

I will be an hour or two late scheduling Round 8 tonight, unless another TC decides to step in and schedule at the standard time.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #55 on: Mar 4th, 2013, 2:18pm »

on Mar 4th, 2013, 1:54pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I will be an hour or two late scheduling Round 8 tonight, unless another TC decides to step in and schedule at the standard time.

I'll give it a shot.  If I have any difficulties, I'll let you know.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #56 on: Mar 4th, 2013, 8:33pm »

Thanks, Adanac.  It looks good.  As a special warning to you, DST happens in the U.S. and Canada shortly before your game.  To be clear, your game is scheduled for 11:00 UTC, which doesn't change.  Your Local Time is probably saying that the game is at 6:00, but it will actually be at 7:00 due to your clock moving forward an hour while UTC stands still.

Unfortunately, there is a possibility that the server, being located in the U.S., will wig out and move the scheduled game time by an hour.  If this happens, it needs to be rescheduled for 11:00 UTC by the TC on duty.  I would rather that not be me, since that is quite early relative to my sleep schedule, but I'll get up briefly to check the time if necessary.  I just want to be clear in advance as to when the game officially must happen.

Thanks again for running the scheduler!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #57 on: Apr 14th, 2013, 11:18am »

After a long run of no server issues, arimaa.com decided to crash in the middle of the potentially World-Champion-deciding game.  Go figure!  Boo lost on time when he lost connection.

By rule, the game timeout result cannot stand, since the server was having issues.  As TD, I saw the potential options as replaying the game from scratch, restoring the game from the final position, or restoring the game from the point at which the server began to have issues.  The latter is not provided for in the rules, but this situation made me think it should be added to the rules in 2014.  Fortunately,  my decision was made easy by the fact that both players reported being unaffected by server issues until the timeout happened.  Surely in such a situation all the played moves should count.

The players entered their time preferences for next week, and the scheduler chose the same game time as this week, namely 9:00 UTC on Sunday.  I have created a dummy game to make it easy for spectators/commentators to know when to be present, but that game will not be played.  Instead, the timed-out game will be restored from the final position with Boo to move.  To compensate for Boo's additional thinking time during adjournment, chessandgo will be awarded an extra six minutes of reserve thinking time.

In the intervening week, the players are allowed to analyze the position with any resources including computers and other players.  Spectators are allowed to publicly discuss the position, including who is winning and what strategies/moves each player should pursue.  However, I and my four fellow Tournament Coordinators will not participate in this discussion.

Adjournment creates uncomfortable possibilities of unfairness, but I judged adjournment to be less problematic than the unfairness inherent in arbitrarily invalidating moves that were played under proper tournament conditions.  Alas, technical failures will always create a situation that gives one player more advantage or disadvantage than the other.  All we can do is try to find the least bad resolution.

I would like to heartily thank both players for being calm and understanding about the server crash, and for being accepting of my ruling as to what should happen next.  Sporting behavior on the part of tournament participants makes being Tournament Director vastly easier than it would otherwise be.  Boo, chessandgo, you are both champions off the board as well as on!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #58 on: Apr 14th, 2013, 3:22pm »

There is a cron job that backs up the main disk to a second disk and it runs at 5:23 am EDT. It seems like this combined with the spectator traffic on the server due to the game in session may have triggered the server to start thrashing.

Regarding resuming the game from an earlier move instead of the last move. I guess that could be done, but we are not setup to do that currently.

For situations where the game is to be resumed, it might be more fair if the player on move submits a sealed move (by email or PM) to the TD soon after it is decided that the game will be resumed. The TD can set when the sealed move must be submitted. When the game is resumed the player must play the sealed move. That way the player on move cannot benefit from a long thinking time and others discussing the position.  
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #59 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 9:22am »

Congratulation Jean, and everyone who played!  I feel proud to have smoothly run the biggest live Arimaa World Championship ever, but truly credit goes to the community.  Being TD would be an exhausting undertaking, except that everyone is so helpful and cooperative the tournament mostly runs itself.  It is a privilege to be part of Arimaa.

The final prize payouts are
chessandgo 16102  
Boo  8051  
Thiagor  5367  
Nombril  4026  
Brendan_M  3220  
rabbits  2684  
Adanac  2300  
browni3141  2013  
omar  1789  
supersamu 1610  
Alfons 1464  
clyring 1342  
99of9 1239  
RmznA 1150
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.