Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 Postal Mixer  (Read 7715 times)
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: 2013 Postal Mixer
« Reply #15 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 4:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the space of 5 minutes, bot_Hippo moved in both games vs bot_briareus. So it's not always thinking for 8 hours?
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #16 on: Apr 5th, 2013, 2:41pm »

Ricardo, I have said it thinks for 8 hours single thread, but 5 copies of the bot are run in parallel. I would run 6 copies (on 8 core machine), but the memory consumption of the copy version is enormous so I am afraid of swap possibilities ... . I hope to debug the undo version early and it could solve the memory problems to allow 6 parallel runs.

When I last checked it the bot was gaining reserve as it was thinking in all 5 of its games where it was its turn.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #17 on: May 5th, 2013, 8:15pm »

The link in the menu still points to the 2012 postal tournament and not this years - http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2012/showGames.cgi

No big deal, but I keep forgetting to click on the one in the middle of the page...

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2013, 8:45pm by mistre » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #18 on: May 6th, 2013, 7:53am »

on May 5th, 2013, 8:15pm, mistre wrote:
The link in the menu still points to the 2012 postal tournament and not this years - http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2012/showGames.cgi

No big deal, but I keep forgetting to click on the one in the middle of the page...

Yes and now the link from announcements disappeared, so the only remaining link is the mentioned link to 2012 from pulldown menu events>postal mixer.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #19 on: May 6th, 2013, 8:28am »

If you click the text "games are underway" under 2013 Postal Mixer in the announcements, it takes you to the correct page.

The correct link is http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2013/showGames.cgi just in case that announcement goes away.
IP Logged

Alfons
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #5149

« Reply #20 on: Jul 6th, 2013, 11:56am »

What's upt with bot_trash?
It seems it does make any more moves...  
(and he's the only relaxing oponent I have  Wink )
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

« Reply #21 on: Jul 7th, 2013, 3:07pm »

Thomastanck, the developer of bot_trash was last seen 2 months ago on Arimaa.com.
This is a game where bot_trash already timed out: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=269572
You will probably win your game on time.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 3:53pm »

on Jul 7th, 2013, 3:07pm, supersamu wrote:
Thomastanck, the developer of bot_trash was last seen 2 months ago on Arimaa.com.
This is a game where bot_trash already timed out: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=269572
You will probably win your game on time.

So my bot (bot_Hippo) as well as bot_trash finished their postal mixer games. My bot lost no game on time in contrary to the most games of bot_trash.  

Unfortunately my bot won only one game on the board and was probably winning it's games against trash as well. I have converted my bot to do/undo rather to copying bitboards version during the mixer, but it had no notable influence on the search speed. I almost let the evaluation function unchanged. Trap controll understanding, mobility understanding (and forks) are the most obvious problems of it.... Very long way to make it play well.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 27th, 2013, 1:21pm »

Sadly for carbon-based intelligence, it looks like bot_briareus will eclipse its 10-4 showing from last year.  So far briareus is 10-1 and the worst it is likely to finish is 13-5, which is counting on both browni3141 and me to win from positions that are currently materially even with no (bad for bot understanding) elephant deadlock.  Only ChrisB and Alfons have dominating positions.

I continue to be amazed that briareus doesn't seem to suffer from the longer time controls in the way that most bots do.  Even given the relative time handicap that human players aren't thinking as long per move as bots, most bots seem to slightly underperform their 2-minute-per-move rating when they play in the Postal Mixer.  I wonder what briareus's secret is for ourperforming.

In any case, I offer my premature congratulations to Ricardo.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #24 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 4:44pm »

Thanks Fritz! I don't know what the difference is to other bots, if there's indeed a difference. bot_hippo seems to have better WHRP than gameroom rating as well?

Maybe next year marwin, sharp or quad will participate in the mixer as well (hint, hint, hint), it would certainly be interesting to get more data about this.

PS: BTW, bot_briareus is currently on vacation from the postal, due to my own vacation. It'll be back in around two days (leaving the computer on 24/7 seemed like a bad idea with so few games left, there would probably be big periods of inactivity).
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2013, 4:54pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #25 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 7:44pm »

on Jul 27th, 2013, 1:21pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Sadly for carbon-based intelligence, it looks like bot_briareus will eclipse its 10-4 showing from last year.  So far briareus is 10-1 and the worst it is likely to finish is 13-5, which is counting on both browni3141 and me to win from positions that are currently materially even with no (bad for bot understanding) elephant deadlock.  Only ChrisB and Alfons have dominating positions.
In any case, I offer my premature congratulations to Ricardo.

Personally I would discard my timed-out game for the purpose of comparing records. I had a significant advantage when it ended and would most likely have won.  

I find it strange to call DD for hr even, although it seems roughly so much of the time. The game has been kind of crazy and I've given up on winning quickly, but I think you can count on me winning eventually Wink

IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23rd, 2013, 2:17pm »

on Jul 27th, 2013, 1:21pm, Fritzlein wrote:
So far briareus is 10-1 and the worst it is likely to finish is 13-5, which is counting on both browni3141 and me to win from positions that are currently materially even with no (bad for bot understanding) elephant deadlock.  Only ChrisB and Alfons have dominating positions.

13-5 as a worst case is now a lock. Now to see if it can make it 14-4, 15-3 or 16-2 (unlikely) !
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Sep 15th, 2013, 1:19am »

on Aug 23rd, 2013, 2:17pm, rbarreira wrote:
13-5 as a worst case is now a lock. Now to see if it can make it 14-4, 15-3 or 16-2 (unlikely) !

Whew, I finally won in 80 moves, the longest game of the tournament so far.  I remember when we thought 80-move games would become increasingly common, but instead they have become rarities.  I shouldn't speak too soon though, as there are games yet to finish in the Postal Mixer.

With browni scoring a sexy win in a goal race, briareus stands at 13-4 with only Alfons's game yet to finish.  There's another position I can't see through clearly, although on a superficial perusal it looks like briareus has staged a comeback over the last ten moves or so.
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #28 on: Sep 15th, 2013, 7:53pm »

Even if there is another 80-move game, it may take months to reach that point still. The large initial reserve and a mutual willingness to use almost all of it have meant my last remaining game has seen only 27 moves played so far. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2013, 7:57pm by clyring » IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #29 on: Sep 15th, 2013, 11:21pm »

When I win the continued game that I timed-out against briareus do we modify that record, or would that be unfair?  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.