Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 Postal Mixer  (Read 7719 times)
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: 2013 Postal Mixer
« Reply #45 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 10:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 9th, 2013, 4:37pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Do you judge the "best" game by having the fewest errors, or the most drama, or the great move that was hardest to find, or by some other criteria?

As I read your post I thought I should have worded my proposal better. But then I realized that I never wrote something about a "best" game.  
I don´t think declaring a game the "best" game is desirable.
Instead declaring a game or several games as games of the tournament based on things like "having the fewest errors, or the most drama, or the great move that was hardest to find" is something we might want to do.  

There are numerous ways to look at this.

- Is a game eligible for best game of the tournament because a player dominated the position for the whole game and pulled of a good control game?

- Or maybe a game where things get traded down and there is an even endgame and a player sees a goal in 4 that involves sacrificing several pieces?

- What about a game where someone has the positional advantage, but a big material disadvantage and manages to convert that into a material lead about 15 moves later?

There are so many ways to look at this.  
When I proposed this I thought about what possible criteria there are, but decided to ask if we want such a thing as a game of the tournament before thinking of ways to determine it.
Maybe one other way of looking at this is:
what game shows several features of what Arimaa is about?
Some essential features of Arimaa are, in my Opinion:  
Trap Control, piece alignment, rabbit advancement and goal  
race.  

In my opinion the following features should not invalidate a game of being eligible for game of the tournament, but are nevertheless detrimental to its eligibility:
- Featuring too many blunders
- The game ended by timeout or resignation (debatable to some)

The following features can be considered positive:
- The players are playing at an equal level in this game
- The game features interesting positions

I have trouble to come up with anything else on this topic at the moment.
Does anyone else have some ideas?
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #46 on: Oct 13th, 2013, 3:08pm »

on Oct 10th, 2013, 9:04am, Fritzlein wrote:

For performance rating it matters who your opponents were and how many you won, but the distribution of your wins and losses doesn't matter.

It should be noted that this is a useful property of the logistic "elo" model and not something that is true in general for other models.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #47 on: Nov 4th, 2013, 1:10pm »

So the postal mixer has ended by the Alfons win over ChrisB.
I would still vote for Alfons's game against bot_ziltoid/briareus for briareus finding of counterplay leading to camel and cat for two rabbits trade and finally for Alfons's following play improving it's positional lead despite being camel down resulting in final goal.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.