Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2014 World Championship Rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2014 World Championship Rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2014 World Championship Rules  (Read 13227 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: 2014 World Championship Rules
« Reply #75 on: Nov 17th, 2013, 8:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've added some rounding code and fixed a bug where the ratings used were occasionally incorrect*. The latest version can be found at http://arimaa.janzert.com/fxe_aaaa_2014.zip.

Janzert

* The iterative algorithm keeps improving the ratings until the error given the current scores no longer goes down. It then used to return the final ratings produced, but occasionally the last iteration would have a larger error than the previous one. So the fix is just to use the previous version.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #76 on: Dec 23rd, 2013, 4:28am »

I dont' know where the right place for that is, I'll write it here:

I'm very worried about connection problems for the coming event. My internet connection is fantastic (outside arimaa.com), but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the arimaa.com domain. Disconnections during games, moves taking a long time to go through, forum pages taking extremely long to load and usually needing one or several refreshes, chatroom disconnection / comments send but never recieved ...

Judging by the number of HvH games lost on time over the past few days, I guess I'm not the only one. I hope the championship won't be affected too severely Sad

Edit: Right on cue, it took two refreshes and a one minute load to get to the write a reply page, and sending it got me: 400 - Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. I've never had this error before Smiley I've spent 10 minutes of constant refreshing and I'm still unable to post the comment or get the full gameroom page. Posting the next day.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #77 on: Dec 23rd, 2013, 9:01am »

According to the pingdom monitoring, arimaa.com has been up for 80 hours, i.e. none of the once-per-minute pings from around the world timed out.  There have, however, been 19 slow pings (defined in the tournament rules as over 750ms) in those 80 hours since the last timeout.  Also there have been 16 missed pings in the last 30 days, most recently a spate on December 19 and 20.

I guess this concerns me on two fronts.  First, I am worried that our monitoring doesn't reflect the true user experience.  I am curious whether the game timeouts and your slow page loads correspond to the slow pings.  Also I am curious how whether Janzert's new monitoring bots would have detected any issues during these times.  Obviously, the better our monitoring corresponds to actual server problems, the better we can decide when to remediate tournament issues.

Second, I am concerned that no matter what procedures we have in place to restart timed-out games, connection issues will make things unfair.  What if poor connectivity costs someone three minutes of reserve when they had five minutes?  They didn't time out, so our remedies don't apply, but they still lost reserve and got a disadvantage.  No matter what our policies are, poor connectivity stinks.

Ultimately, the answer is going to be that life is unfair, and people who have connectivity problems just have to deal with that disadvantage, because there is nothing we can do to fix it.  The tournament has gotten too large for special exceptions and replays like those that occurred in the early days of the Arimaa World Championship.  That's not very satisfactory, but it seems like own of the downsides of growth.

The most optimistic spin I can put on it is that I recall some server issues popping up last December that had me worried, but the tournament itself ran very smoothly from the server side in January, February, and March.  Hopefully the same will happen this year.  But even with the server working well last year, browni and Hippo lost games that weren't over-the-board losses.  I can't think of anything to do about it but grin and bear it.
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #78 on: Dec 23rd, 2013, 10:31am »

on Dec 23rd, 2013, 4:28am, chessandgo wrote:
I dont' know where the right place for that is, I'll write it here:

I'm very worried about connection problems for the coming event. My internet connection is fantastic (outside arimaa.com), but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the arimaa.com domain. Disconnections during games, moves taking a long time to go through, forum pages taking extremely long to load and usually needing one or several refreshes, chatroom disconnection / comments send but never recieved ...

Judging by the number of HvH games lost on time over the past few days, I guess I'm not the only one. I hope the championship won't be affected too severely Sad

Edit: Right on cue, it took two refreshes and a one minute load to get to the write a reply page, and sending it got me: 400 - Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. I've never had this error before Smiley I've spent 10 minutes of constant refreshing and I'm still unable to post the comment or get the full gameroom page. Posting the next day.

If it's any consolation, I think my time-out against you was a problem on my end.
However I have also had a recent problem with arimaa.com and only arimaa.com. A few days ago for a few hours I could not access any part of the site. All other sites worked correctly.  It didn't seem like anyone but me had a problem at that time though. It was Dec. 20, ~12:30 am to 3:30 am EST.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013, 10:32am by browni3141 » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.