Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Denny's Restaurant Sponsorship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Denny's Restaurant Sponsorship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Denny's Restaurant Sponsorship  (Read 2348 times)
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Denny's Restaurant Sponsorship
« on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 12:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I noticed the announcement in the gameroom that Denny's Restaurant will be a WC sponsor, contributing $2,000 to the prize fund. I haven't been able to see any mention of how this came to be so I ask here. Whom are we to thank for getting the sponsorship and how did they do it?
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013, 1:00am by browni3141 » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Denny's Restaurant Sponsorship
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 8:31am »

I'm going to guess it was Omar, and he got it by asking. Wink  Not to minimize the achievement.  I am really, really bad at asking for money.  If it were my job I would be fired in under a day.  I'm as curious as you are about the details of how one asks in a way that encourages an affirmative answer.

I'm also very curious as to what effect, if any, it has on the registration and conduct.  Will more folks sign up?  Will they be less sporting with more money on the line?

Omar speculated that a large prize fund would give registration a big boost, but I don't think it is a given.  Yes, anyone rated 2000 and over will likely have a positive expectation return on investment.  On the other hand, the majority of signups last year were rated under 2000, so it also matters how people who are underdogs to make the finals feel about things.  It's conceivable that a sense that things are more serious this year could scare away some entrants who would otherwise play for fun.  Mind you, I expect and would bet on a record turnout, but group behavior is an unpredictable beast, and I wouldn't be shocked by a lower turnout than 2013.

As for an increased incentive to cheat, well, I don't know what to do about it other than hope it doesn't happen.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 10:03am »

I was going to play again anyways, but the increased prize fund is a very nice bonus.

I'm betting on a slightly higher participation than last year.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 10:48am »

Denny's Hobbit tie-in produced menu items like Smaug's Fire Burger and Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies.  I think we need to start brainstorming about the Arimaa tie-in menu items like Frame Flapjacks and Hostage Sausage. Cheesy
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:42am »

I was going to play anyway, but now I am more motivated to train so that I can maximize EV.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2013, 6:03am »

I'm OK w/ asking for money, though certainly not an expert.  I'd expect in a situation like this, having some numbers about number of unique viewers, total views expected in the time leading up to and during the tournament, number of mentions during live broadcasts, and/or some indication of how many people will see your name and for how long helps with anyone considering it an "advertising" promotion.

My general advice is to ask for 10x or 100x as much as you think is reasonable, and then back down from there Smiley

If anyone has ideas about other sponsors and/or the numbers above, I'd be willing to do some asking.  (Though it is probably a 2-4 week approval cycle for anything large.)

-Nombril
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2013, 1:45pm »

Can we get bangers there? I like that word: bangers. Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.