Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2014 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2014 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2014 Postal Mixer  (Read 4777 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2014 Postal Mixer
« on: Mar 27th, 2014, 12:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I forgot that registration for the Postal Mixer ends at the same time that the Challenge Screening ends, i.e. March 31.  That means it is not too early to start the tournament discussion thread.  We have 25 registrants so far.  How many will jump in at the last minute?
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

Re: 2014 Postal Mixer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2014, 9:40am »

Are the pairings going to be made based on gameroom ratings or WHRP?  They should be done using WHRP if possible.

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2014, 9:52am »

I suggested to Omar that he use WHRP for players who have one and substitute gameroom rating for anyone without WHRP.  He said he would put it in his notes for how to set up the Postal Mixer.  From looking at http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2013/showGames.cgi , that's what happened last year.  So, in the absence of further information, I expect it to happen again this year.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2014, 2:29pm »

Ziltoid will not be participating in the postal mixer this year, mostly due to me being nearly sick of the negative comments about it in the chatroom since the WCC started.  

The other part of it is that it always takes a sizable investment in electricity and PC time, which tends to limit my use of the PC during the postal mixer.

If a select few are interested in playing postally against it,  that can be arranged.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2014, 4:04pm »

on Apr 1st, 2014, 2:29pm, rbarreira wrote:
Ziltoid will not be participating in the postal mixer this year, mostly due to me being nearly sick of the negative comments about it in the chatroom since the WCC started.

Although you haven't named names, I feel that this is mainly directed at me. I apologize that I offended you. It is easy to trash a bot because it has no feelings, forgetting that the developer does. I repeatedly insulted your creation, which understandably upset you.

As long as it has weaknesses, I can not promise to no longer make negative comments about ziltoid, but I can do my best to restrict the negativity to objective criticisms, and avoid anything mean-spirited.

Sometimes when I am speaking I will make jokes, and sometimes those jokes go to far. You can call it a flaw of mine that I have a hard time knowing when I've crossed a line without somebody telling me so. I really wish you had said something sooner. While I might be socially clueless, I am not a jerk, and I would have shown more respect if you objected publicly or privately.

Finally, although I feel sharp is the stronger bot, I congratulate you and ziltoid for winning the screening. You have earned the right to the Challenge this year.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2014, 4:04pm by browni3141 » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #5 on: Apr 1st, 2014, 4:15pm »

on Apr 1st, 2014, 4:04pm, browni3141 wrote:

Although you haven't named names, I feel that this is mainly directed at me. I apologize that I offended you. It is easy to trash a bot because it has no feelings, forgetting that the developer does. I repeatedly insulted your creation, which understandably upset you.

As long as it has weaknesses, I can not promise to no longer make negative comments about ziltoid, but I can do my best to restrict the negativity to objective criticisms, and avoid anything mean-spirited.

Sometimes when I am speaking I will make jokes, and sometimes those jokes go to far. You can call it a flaw of mine that I have a hard time knowing when I've crossed a line without somebody telling me so. I really wish you had said something sooner. While I might be socially clueless, I am not a jerk, and I would have shown more respect if you objected publicly or privately.

Finally, although I feel sharp is the stronger bot, I congratulate you and ziltoid for winning the screening. You have earned the right to the Challenge this year.

Thank you for the kind words and for explaining your perspective! As I just said in the chatroom I'm definitely fine with criticism and even some amount of poking fun at the bot (which does deserve some of it Tongue). Actually I welcome it. But yeah, I was starting to get a bit tired of the constant flow of it.

Thinking back, I guess should have spoken out about it a bit earlier. Although I guess during the screening that could have been perceived wrongly.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2014, 4:16pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #6 on: Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:55am »

on Apr 1st, 2014, 2:29pm, rbarreira wrote:

If a select few are interested in playing postally against it,  that can be arranged.

I am interested to play postal game(s) against ziltoid.

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:58am by arimaa_master » IP Logged
Brendan_M
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8106

« Reply #7 on: Apr 2nd, 2014, 1:23pm »

I'm little bit disappointed to have selected only 3 games to play this year and last year but have drawn 2 out of 3 of the same opponents. Is there any chance this can be adjusted?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 2nd, 2014, 2:01pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2014, 1:23pm, Brendan_M wrote:
I'm little bit disappointed to have selected only 3 games to play this year and last year but have drawn 2 out of 3 of the same opponents. Is there any chance this can be adjusted?

I was looking forward to playing you, Brendan, but we didn't get a game because Omar for some reason decided to use WHRE for pairing instead of WHRP.  Why wouldn't WHRP be the most appropriate?  But anyway I doubt it can be fixed now.  Omar used to spend a lot of time discussing things like registration fee, prize format, pairing scheme, etc. in the forum before each event, but now he is short of time for Arimaa.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2014, 2:03pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Brendan_M
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8106

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 6:03pm »

I was also hoping to play you Karl. Maybe we can play a postal game once we have finished a few of our current postal games?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:34pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2014, 6:03pm, Brendan_M wrote:
I was also hoping to play you Karl. Maybe we can play a postal game once we have finished a few of our current postal games?

I only have five games, and at the moment that is too many!  My putative time advantage (i.e. I excel at postal Arimaa because I have more free time than my opponents) may not materialize this year.  I only signed up for the Postal Mixer because I hope that summer will be more laid back.  Hopefully I haven't timed out in all my games before then!
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #11 on: Apr 7th, 2014, 8:31pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:55am, arimaa_master wrote:

I am interested to play postal game(s) against ziltoid.

Sorry for the late reply. I will try to issue an invite for a postal game from the bot one of these days (after I get the postal bot set up). If that doesn't work we can meet in the chatroom and set it up.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #12 on: Apr 8th, 2014, 9:20am »

on Apr 7th, 2014, 8:31pm, rbarreira wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. I will try to issue an invite for a postal game from the bot one of these days (after I get the postal bot set up). If that doesn't work we can meet in the chatroom and set it up.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #13 on: Jul 4th, 2014, 12:13am »

I just want to let you all know that ChrisB is a real gentleman and a great sporting spirit (not that I think anyone had any doubts about it). Also I want to make sure we're not collaborating to "fix" the result of our game for or against any person or purpose.

In our game (id385683) in the mixer we reached an interesting, pretty even endgame (or very late middle game) where while sending 34g I clicked the undo and redo buttons back and forth bit too carelessly and mistakenly sent a move without the last step. The sent move would have cost me a Cat and pretty certainly the game. Frustrated, I typed: "misclick :(".

ChrisB then suggested to bring the position back to where it was before the move, pointing out that he thought the position was interesting and wanted to see how it played out, to which I agreed. The next 1.5 moves were then played in a way mutually agreed to get the same position as before 34g. After I sent my originally intended 34g on 36g we're now continuing the game in a competitive way again.

I hope the non-competitive moves 34s-35s do not raise any issues given these circumstances and most importantly if they do, no harm is done to ChrisB.

Thanks again to ChrisB, cheers all!
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2014, 6:32am by Heyckie » IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #14 on: Jul 4th, 2014, 10:21am »

on Jul 4th, 2014, 12:13am, Heyckie wrote:
I just want to let you all know that ChrisB is a real gentleman and a great sporting spirit (not that I think anyone had any doubts about it). Also I want to make sure we're not collaborating to "fix" the result of our game for or against any person or purpose.

In our game (id385683) in the mixer we reached an interesting, pretty even endgame (or very late middle game) where while sending 34g I clicked the undo and redo buttons back and forth bit too carelessly and mistakenly sent a move without the last step. The sent move would have cost me a Cat and pretty certainly the game. Frustrated, I typed: "misclick :(".

ChrisB then suggested to bring the position back to where it was before the move, pointing out that he thought the position was interesting and wanted to see how it played out, to which I agreed. The next 1.5 moves were then played in a way mutually agreed to get the same position as before 34g. After I sent my originally intended 34g on 36g we're now continuing the game in a competitive way again.

I hope the non-competitive moves 34s-35s do not raise any issues given these circumstances and most importantly if they do, no harm is done to ChrisB.

Thanks again to ChrisB, cheers all!

Thanks, Heyckie, nice summary!

I'm glad we got the game back on track and I'm very curious how it will play out.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.