Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « November Weekend Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   November Weekend Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: November Weekend Tournament  (Read 1483 times)
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

November Weekend Tournament
« on: Oct 29th, 2014, 7:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think I remember that in the chat of the last Weekend Tournament Janzert mentioned an idea about a tournament split on three Saturdays.
My point of view: IMO an interesting try could be a tourney on every Saturday and in the end the two best scores of each player are taken and summed up to get the winner. So it won't be too bad if one can't play on every saturday but of course one has still an advantage if one does so.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: November Weekend Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2014, 11:26am »

If I understand the intent of having three linked events rather than three independent ones, it is to increase participation, but I don't quite see why that would happen.  The three-weekend tournament would still be come-and-go as you please, right?  Would people really be more motivated to come back in future weeks than they are now motivated to play as many games as possible in a single day?  It terms of turnout I rather expect it would feel exactly like three independent tournaments even if scoring were accumulated.

The main effect that I anticipate would not be on attendance, but on pairing, since repeat pairings are minimized as much as possible.  Linking three events would stop the same pairings from happening in each of them.  I suppose this would be a positive effect if turnout is high, since it increases variety, but a negative effect if turnout is low, since it forces mismatches in a small field.

Maybe I'm not understanding the intent, and/or incorrectly anticipating the outcome?
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2014, 1:33pm »

The stated intent of having a split event was to schedule the games at convenient times for a wider number of time zones.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2014, 5:08pm »

As browni said my primary motivation would be to get rounds during prime time for each of EU, NA and SEA*. Trying to do that all in one day is just infeasible for me. My primary hangup that has kept me from actually going through with it is whether I'm going to be available and actually willing to devote a good chunk of time out of 3 Saturdays next month. Wink Including the for me 2am till whenever timeslot for the SEA Saturday.

I'm currently leaning toward 4 rounds each day with 30s/3m, 15s/1:30, 30s/30m and 60s/4m timecontrols. The first 2 rounds only scheduled an hour each, with the blitz round making up for any time the first round spilled over.

I'll try and get my mind settled and a real announcement up by this coming Saturday.

Janzert

* European Union, North America and South East Asia.
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2014, 5:51pm »

Well, that does not disagree with my idea: 4 Saturdays, one SEA, one EU, one between EU and NA and one NA. If now top 2 result are taken and summed up everybody has same good chances.  Wink
IP Logged
half_integer
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8819

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2014, 9:27pm »

Maybe I should ask this in the October tournament thread, but what was the reaction to the fastest time control, 30s/3m I believe?  Were there players that avoided those rounds, wanting more time?  Or was that outweighed by those who don't want their games to take 1.5 hours?
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2014, 8:00pm »

on Oct 30th, 2014, 9:27pm, half_integer wrote:
Maybe I should ask this in the October tournament thread, but what was the reaction to the fastest time control, 30s/3m I believe?  Were there players that avoided those rounds, wanting more time?  Or was that outweighed by those who don't want their games to take 1.5 hours?

I didn't notice anyone avoiding the timecontrol although there was one player that disliked having it. On the other hand other players seemed to like it. There was also talk of having some blitz games, giving some of the motivation to add in a blitz round this tournament.

Janzert
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2014, 8:02pm »

I've update the wiki with the tournament information.

In addition to the things already mentioned above I also changed scoring to give a bit of extra reward for playing during unpopular times.

Janzert
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #8 on: Nov 2nd, 2014, 1:34am »

For me those 30sec/low reserve games were really fast but not too fast. I fear 15sec will be too fast for me but I probably still will play them since they don't take long anyway. I am not sure if one hour is enough for the 30 sec/ 3 min game but even if the next round will be delayed it will be compensated by the fast blitz time control I guess.
First Saturday is thought as best EU time, second NA time and third SEA time, right? Ironically it could happen that I play the most games on the third Saturday because of chess matches on 16th and 23rd.
For the WTs after the WC it could be better to have a LTC WT and a STC WT (though then the problem is that we have even less players per tournament). I am not sure if I understood the point system correctly but as long you do I don't care.  Grin
EDIT: On the registration page shouldn't it say "Event Start time: Nov 15 5:00pm UTC" instead of "Event Start time: Nov 16 5:00pm UTC"?
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2014, 1:38am by deep_blue » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #9 on: Nov 2nd, 2014, 8:25am »

on Nov 2nd, 2014, 1:34am, deep_blue wrote:
For me those 30sec/low reserve games were really fast but not too fast. I fear 15sec will be too fast for me but I probably still will play them since they don't take long anyway. I am not sure if one hour is enough for the 30 sec/ 3 min game but even if the next round will be delayed it will be compensated by the fast blitz time control I guess.

Yes, this was another motivating factor for the blitz round.

Quote:
First Saturday is thought as best EU time, second NA time and third SEA time, right?

Yep.

Quote:
For the WTs after the WC it could be better to have a LTC WT and a STC WT (though then the problem is that we have even less players per tournament).

I've thought about alternating months, that may be a better way to do it rather than mixing them together.

Quote:
I am not sure if I understood the point system correctly but as long you do I don't care.  Grin

Essentially the fewer players in a round the more that participating is rewarded, but any win is still worth more than any loss (unless we get more than 80 players in a single round Wink ).

Quote:
EDIT: On the registration page shouldn't it say "Event Start time: Nov 15 5:00pm UTC" instead of "Event Start time: Nov 16 5:00pm UTC"?

Oops thanks for the catch, should be fixed now.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2014, 8:25am by Janzert » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2014, 6:53pm »

Due to the server interruption during round 4 on November 15th. All the game results for that round will be thrown out (they don't seem to have been recorded on the server anyway). For scoring purposes the players in that round will be given a bye.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.