Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2020 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2020 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2020 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule  (Read 1977 times)
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

2020 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« on: Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello.

I am announcing my interest in running the 2020 WC.  I would like to do a bracketed double elimination format.  This is a fairly straightforward extension to the bracketed (single) elimination format, such as you see in tennis and NCAA basketball, with an additional loser's bracket for players with 1 loss.

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible besides that, but I think I can support rescheduling.  Entry fee format could be similar to last year's, and I can sponsor some entries.

Also, there will be scenarios where players only need to play 1 game over 2 weeks, and I would like to allow those games to be played in either week.  My current inclination would be to permit either player to postpone the game to the second week, with sufficient advance notice.  All other changes would require agreement from both players.  So, if the players were A and B, then I would create a scheduled game for A vs. B in the first week, but, say, A could request to move it to the second week.  If A does not show up for the game without doing so, then it would be up to B whether to win by forfeit or allow the game to be played in the second week.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:54am by SilverMitt » IP Logged
risteall
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #10277

Re: 2020 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2019, 7:57am »

I would like to run the WC as a triple elimination similar to 2016, possibly with minor changes to forfeit handling. I contacted Omar a while ago but have been lazy about doing anything else.
IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #2 on: Nov 2nd, 2019, 2:36pm »

I'd just like to add that, even setting complexity aside, I would prefer a bracketed double elimination to the floating triple elimination.  We used to have quite a lot of floating-style multi-elimination tournaments on ICC (although without any consideration for preventing rematches), and I would not describe those as fair (e.g., in terms of determining second place).

That said, my main priority is not to have single elimination again.  Also, I wouldn't expect to play as TD.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2019, 1:45pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:53am, SilverMitt wrote:
Hello.

I am announcing my interest in running the 2020 WC.  I would like to do a bracketed double elimination format.  This is a fairly straightforward extension to the bracketed (single) elimination format, such as you see in tennis and NCAA basketball, with an additional loser's bracket for players with 1 loss.

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible besides that, but I think I can support rescheduling.  Entry fee format could be similar to last year's, and I can sponsor some entries.

Also, there will be scenarios where players only need to play 1 game over 2 weeks, and I would like to allow those games to be played in either week.  My current inclination would be to permit either player to postpone the game to the second week, with sufficient advance notice.  All other changes would require agreement from both players.  So, if the players were A and B, then I would create a scheduled game for A vs. B in the first week, but, say, A could request to move it to the second week.  If A does not show up for the game without doing so, then it would be up to B whether to win by forfeit or allow the game to be played in the second week.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks.

SilverMitt, if you are still interested in doing this, please send me a message so we can coordinate. I would suggest not allowing for the games to be played in the second week because it could cause confusing and a player could lose the game if the opponent decides to win by forfeit.

IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2019, 3:37am »

I have a couple more things to add at this moment.

I am drafting the wiki page for the 2020 tournament for the case that I would be the TD.  In any case, the tournament should be announced in the coming days.

I would also like to update the time control to a high-reserve one (1 hour with 1 minute/move, and no restriction on move time).  Aside from reducing the time of longer games, it would also reduce the risk of timeout due to a short-term connection loss.  And I believe there is support for a move-based spectator delay.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2019, 6:57pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2019, 7:57am, risteall wrote:
I would like to run the WC as a triple elimination similar to 2016, possibly with minor changes to forfeit handling. I contacted Omar a while ago but have been lazy about doing anything else.

I had sent you the following reply. Maybe you did not receive it. Since I had not heard back from you, I thought maybe you were no longer interested.

>As I said before, I would like to organise the WC using a similar format to 2016 (if no one else is willing to do it with such a format). I would also play in the tournament if possible. As far as I can tell, most people would be ok with this. Since you scheduled a game for yourself this year, I guess there is no longer a prohibition on it.

That would be great. Feel free to announce it in the Forum.

Tournament coordinators can also play in the tournament. Tournament directors cannot. The tournament director is only needed if a issue occurs that is not already covered by the tournament rules. The tournament coordinator is the one who clicks the buttons in the tournament tool at the appropriate time to setup the games. No judgement issued by the tournament coordinator. Also if a issue occurs that is covered by the rules, the tournament coordinator can take care of it by following the specified remedy stated in the rules.

I didn't have a tournament director specified this year and got lucky that no issue came up that needed a judgement.

So yes, you can play in the tournament and also serve as tournament coordinator (run the tournament). But for longer tournaments with more games, you should definitely find a tournament director who will not be playing in the tournament. If no one else wants to serve as tournament director, I can do it.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2019, 7:09pm »

SilverMitt has provided details for the 2020 WC here:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2020_World_Championship

Please feel free to provide any feedback and suggestions.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19th, 2020, 9:23pm »

I just want to say thanks to Andrey (SilverMitt) for organizing and coordinating the WC event this year. It went very smoothly.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated in the tournament.  

And of course congratulations to Mathew (browni3141), J.R. (ristall) and Gregory (rabbits) for placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.