Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2021 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2021 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2021 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule  (Read 1041 times)
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

2021 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« on: Dec 28th, 2020, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At omar's request, I am starting a thread on running the 2021 WC.  I think it could be similar to last year, but perhaps round 1 could be different (with the hope of getting a cleaner bracket), and I'd like to have best-of-3 in the winner's bracket quarter- and semifinal (and a 4-game final), so we could have more games between the top players.

I'd expect the time control to be similar to last year, though maybe it would make sense to tweak it (e.g., 45m/90s).

In general, there would be a lot of flexibility for re/scheduling again.  Entry fee format could be similar to last year's, and I can sponsor some entries.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks.
IP Logged
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

Re: 2021 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2020, 4:41pm »

Just an idea: We could do best-of-three blitz matches between each pairing instead of 45s games, which might be more interesting for spectators.  (Note how popular fast time controls have become in chess.)
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 2:43pm »

I think the time control in last year's WC (1h+1m/move) worked well. Of course, as rabbits put it on March 14 last year, "But then 1m feels so fast after having 1h of reserve..." I understand the desire to increase the increment, and would be happy to play with a 45m+90s/move time control as well, but the cost of a hypothetical 90-move game going from five hours to six is a very real one.

Although a Blitz tournament with many more games would be fun, it doesn't match up well with what I want the regular World Championship to be. (If we did use Blitz games, I would expect first-to-4 or 5, at least in the later rounds.) Of course, I am biased by the impression that Blitz games will punish me much more if I don't de-rust adequately, and the impression that I am relatively quite a bit weaker in Blitz games than at slow time controls. Smiley

Making later winner's bracket matches best-of-3 instead of single games seems good to me. Obviously, it potentially adds one week per round it's used in (two in grand finals), but will produce many more games between top players, which I think is a good trade-off given the possibility of flexible multi-week scheduling.

I don't know what ideas you have for producing a cleaner bracket with round 1. Can you elaborate?

I would assume from this page that we are now about 1 month from the planned start of the event.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2021, 2:45pm by clyring » IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 3:27pm »

Thanks for helping out with this SilverMitt. I setup the 2021 WC event in the TMT and added you to the access list. I also setup the wiki page and the website page:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2021
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2021_World_Championship

Feel free to finalize the event details and let me know. I'll send out an announcement.
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 5:39pm »

Reading the archives from around WC2020 reminds me to request that seeding be reverted to the 2014-2016 method or to WHRH instead of mixing GMR with WHRE.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 7:30pm »

Guys, one more thing. Let's leave SilverMitt to run the tournament as he wants. If anyone feels strongly about trying something else, then they should request to run the tournament next year and start discussions about the changes much earlier.
IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2021, 11:30pm »

The byes in the first 3 rounds would depend a lot on the number of players, and, given last year, perhaps it's better not to fix the bracket until after the first round.  There might also be some seeding games that don't count towards elimination at the top, in lieu of byes.

I defer to clyring on which rating would be best to use for seeding.  One year we just wound up with gameroom rating by mistake, anyway?

Best-of-3 mixed with double elimination is sort of like what happens in the NCAA baseball tournament, perhaps.  The situations where a game 3 happens would perhaps be the most interesting, even if they might take an extra week.

Looks like we'll stick with the same time control (unless adjournment could be an option).

I would guess the current start time is a bit of a placeholder.  Early-to-mid March would make sense to me at this point.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2021, 10:52pm »

Since the 2020 WC had a start date of Feb 15, I tried to pick something close to that. Feel free to change it, you have access to the event in the TMT. But do it soon since the registration begins soon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.