Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2023 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2023 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2023 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule  (Read 434 times)
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

2023 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« on: Apr 5th, 2023, 6:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello.

The current plan for the 2023 WC is to return to a floating triple elimination format.

One adjustment for that format I'd make is for the case of 3 players remaining, where a bye may be too big of an advantage, especially in determining 2nd place.  There are several cases:
  • Everyone has multiple lives: each one plays the other two, then reevaluate if still three left;
  • Everyone has one life left: each one plays the other two -- in case everyone goes 1-1, then most of the prize money for top 3 is split evenly, and we have two more games to determine the champion, randomly choosing one player to get a bye into the final (to keep the event from going too long);
  • Exactly one player has multiple lives left: this player gets a bye into the final;
  • Exactly one player has one life left: this player, A, gets the first bye, then A faces the loser of game 1 in game 2 (then, if still 3 left after game 2, A plays the winner of game 1).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2023 WC Rules, Format, and Schedule
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2023, 12:29am »

Floating triple elimination sounds good. There was a time when I did simulations of various tournament formats to rank how well they are at picking the best player and posted the results in the forum. FTE was pretty good for the number of games.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2023, 12:39am »

Found it.  
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1320497619;start=31#31
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2023, 12:26pm »

Regarding color assignment:

Quote:
1. Assign Gold to the player with a lower total of previous games as Gold minus previous games as Silver.
2. Assign Gold to the player with fewer previous games as Gold among games between the two players.

I'm leaning towards preferring the priority of these two rules to be swapped, because there's only a limited opportunity for the pairwise color balance to be equalized (and history has certainly not shown there to be a significant enough advantage of one side over the other to justify giving priority to global color balance).

Especially with that in mind, I also don't see the point of having a separate set of color assignment rules for 2 and 3 Players.
IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2023, 2:21am »

I think I mainly care to alternate colors for any rematch, which seems consistent with that swap, but we could still see the same colors twice in a row for the 3rd meeting, in some cases?

Also, I don't have experience with how the automated pairing actually works from the TC side.  Where would the color rules be adjusted?  Where is performance calculated (I just recall seeing that on the tournament wiki)?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2023, 9:58am »

If you download this and run some simulations, you can get an idea of how the automated pairing and color assignment works. Be sure to check out the README files in the distribution.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/compare/
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2023, 9:58am by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2023, 8:02pm »

on Apr 13th, 2023, 2:21am, SilverMitt wrote:
I think I mainly care to alternate colors for any rematch, which seems consistent with that swap, but we could still see the same colors twice in a row for the 3rd meeting, in some cases?

Also, I don't have experience with how the automated pairing actually works from the TC side.  Where would the color rules be adjusted?  Where is performance calculated (I just recall seeing that on the tournament wiki)?

The pairing and colors are specified by how the tournament format is implemented.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2023, 8:06pm »

on Apr 9th, 2023, 12:26pm, aaaa wrote:
Regarding color assignment:

I'm leaning towards preferring the priority of these two rules to be swapped, because there's only a limited opportunity for the pairwise color balance to be equalized (and history has certainly not shown there to be a significant enough advantage of one side over the other to justify giving priority to global color balance).

Especially with that in mind, I also don't see the point of having a separate set of color assignment rules for 2 and 3 Players.

I tend to agree with you on this. Although in Arimaa the color does not seem to matter nearly as much as in Chess.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.