Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 10:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Game 145436 Clueless2009CC v. Sconibulus »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Game 145436 Clueless2009CC v. Sconibulus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Game 145436 Clueless2009CC v. Sconibulus  (Read 1380 times)
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

Game 145436 Clueless2009CC v. Sconibulus
« on: May 29th, 2010, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=145436

It had an interesting start, and ends in what is basically a full board blockade of gold, with only a few piece shuffles available. This is mostly interesting because of the discussions of blockading in the retrograde analysis thread elsewhere in the forums.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Game 145436 Clueless2009CC v. Sconibulus
« Reply #1 on: May 29th, 2010, 5:05pm »

Thanks for posting.  I'm always on the lookout for stalemate-like positions because they could be warning signs that Arimaa theory is headed toward drawish positions that need the repetition rule to determine a winner.

On the other hand, the repetition rule only applies when neither player has anything better to do than shuffle.  You never ran out of freedom to keep picking at Clueless' position, keep capturing in your home traps, and keep making progress.  

Theoretically there might be positions where the player who is in control has a faster win by forcing repetition than by playing dynamically, and thus would choose to repeat and force a concession, but this game doesn't look like it has any such position.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2010, 2:43pm »

on May 29th, 2010, 5:05pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Thanks for posting.  I'm always on the lookout for stalemate-like positions because they could be warning signs that Arimaa theory is headed toward drawish positions that need the repetition rule to determine a winner.

On the other hand, the repetition rule only applies when neither player has anything better to do than shuffle.  You never ran out of freedom to keep picking at Clueless' position, keep capturing in your home traps, and keep making progress.  

Theoretically there might be positions where the player who is in control has a faster win by forcing repetition than by playing dynamically, and thus would choose to repeat and force a concession, but this game doesn't look like it has any such position.

Unfortunately not ... if your opponent understands the divided playgrounds ... you have difficult time to force him to step into such position. I am almost sure immobilisation would be faster/easier (at least both times it was).  
IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 4:52am »

Another, similar game against clueless at faster time controls, this time I didn't see any way to make progress at all, and think I could have blocked off any move of clueless, so we rotated pieces until clueless ran himself out of time. Insights are always welcome.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=148669
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 7:27am »

Yep, that looks like a complete stalemate at the end.  I don't see any way for either player to make progress.  Clueless will have to blink first, although if it were smart it would release the blockade rather than losing on repetition.

I think you missed a win with 18s MvHgvRgvv.  Gold must give up the horse frame to prevent losing the game, after which you can make progress with you newly-mobile elephant.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.