Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 2:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Shayne vs Thomas_eli »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Shayne vs Thomas_eli
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shayne vs Thomas_eli  (Read 770 times)
Shayne
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6141

Shayne vs Thomas_eli
« on: Feb 20th, 2011, 1:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My brother and I are both pretty new here. This seemed like a close game but, any pointers are appreciated.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=172707
IP Logged
Belteshazzar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5094

Re: Shayne vs Thomas_eli
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 2:05am »

The first thing I would say is that until you become a lot more experienced, you shouldn't begin with more than two rabbits in the front row, and any rabbits that start in the front should be on the sides.  Since rabbits can't retreat, your opponent can cause you some problems by pulling them up.

Beyond that, take care not to "hang" pieces, meaning don't put them in a position in which they can quickly be captured. It is sometimes necessary to sacrifice pieces, but you shouldn't make it easy for your opponent to take them.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011, 2:08am by Belteshazzar » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 11:21am »

Both of those openings are very popular in the WC (world championship) games that have been going on.  I think you should feel free to try them out, just be aware that usually having rabbits forward in the opening (except the edge two) usually lends itself to attacking your opponent rather than trying to pull pieces back to yourside.

Attacking with just elephant and camel advanced can often get you in trouble.

Pulling pieces that can easily be unfrozen by the elephant and then retreat (or help attack) is often waste of time.

But part of what makes Arimaa fun for me is that there aren't any absolute rules, so don't think you have to follow anyone's advice.  You might come up with a new approach that is really good.
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23rd, 2011, 1:26am »

It is good to learn defense before offense. Like Belteshazzar said, make sure you arent giving your opponent  an easy capture. Once that is easy enough that you can do a simple check of it at a glance you should already have the hang of offense because you will spot where your opponent is weak.
IP Logged
Shayne
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6141

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2011, 1:49am »

Thanks for the replies they help a lot. Still a youngster at Arimaa but also very addicted to it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.