Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544  (Read 735 times)
arimaaphile
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6540

cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544
« on: Aug 27th, 2011, 8:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Friends,  

Would anyone like to comment on my most glaring mistakes or those that were decisive? I did not specifically plan to play defensively (or home play, is that what it is?).  

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=19 4544&role=v&side=w  

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

Re: cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 4:49pm »

Most glaring mistake so far: 3s, wasting half a move.
bad defense of f6 trap from 8s onward.
IP Logged
Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

Re: cvic vs arimaaphile Game 194544
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 8:11pm »

1s: while rabbits are often placed on a7 and h7, it's very unconventional to place a non-rabbit piece behind a rabbit. Not sure why you would want to do that.

3s: you wasted 2 steps moving the elephant back and forth

5s exactly undoes 5g, so cvic could have forced you to deviate by repeating his move. However, he chose not to.

10s: all you can reasonably expect to achieve with that horse advance is a rabbit pull, which is a very slow threat. In the meantime you don't have a 1-turn threat on the horse and the dog is close to framed but not quite, and you have a cat hanging, not critical as long as cvic can't afford to bring his elephant away from c6 but could be important later. Not necessarily a blunder, but I would have preferred something like moving your dog down and your camel into the spot the dog was in in order to consolidate things around c6.

13s: It would probably be better to abandon the frame and attack the camel with your elephant, not worth losing the horse. In the event that you do want to keep the frame, my personal preference would be to rotate in the dog rather than the horse. Note also that by advancing the e file rabbit instead of the d file rabbit, the frame was actually not complete from this point on, but cvic didn't have time to push out with the dog

18s, 19s: I'd recommend killing the rabbit. On 19s pushing the camel to e7 and the e7 rabbit moving west to fix the frame looks very strong*. On 18s  perhaps pull the camel instead. With all your non-elephant heavy pieces in the west and gold swarming in you are going to be in trouble at the f6 trap if you don't make captures immediately. in the actual 19s, advancing  the rabbit looks strange since you are voluntarily breaking the frame and offering up the g6 square.

23s: there was a false protection which you ignored. If you had captured the horse, you would have control over f6 again and made up your material deficit.

24s: i would recommend protecting your hanging cat - but cvic ignored it

In the goal race in general, I thought you should make more captures

Also, in goal defense in general, I would try to simply get more pieces between the enemy rabbits and the goal a bit earlier.

*actually, my proposed 19s appears to lead to a camel + rabbit + dog for horse + camel hostage trade, which normally would be highly favourable but in this case looks troublesome since you would have no horses left leaving both of his as the strongest free pieces. But I think this problem is more inherent in your position than in my proposed move.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.