Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Blocked rabbits close to goal »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Blocked rabbits close to goal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Blocked rabbits close to goal  (Read 1106 times)
eltigro
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #6994

Blocked rabbits close to goal
« on: Dec 15th, 2011, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I've had a couple of games under my belt now and finally "understand" all the rules and one move tactics....now on to some strategy Smiley

I watched a couple of games online and noticed that people tend to be able to finish off faster then me when they got an offensive rabbit being blocked. I always seem to mess up with an offensive rabbit, not being able to get an opening.

Any tips would be appreciated to improve my game

A couple of examples:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=205124&s=w

This one I totally messed up. After having captured two rabbits by turn 18, my pieces are scattered all over the field and I decide to go totally agressive and try to force something on the west with my advanced rabbit and totally neglect all other areas of the game. I spend 8 turns trying to get something going...but eventually get myself boxed in with my elephant and rabbit.

I probably was too fast in trying to go for the goal that fast...or was there anything possible?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=205027&s=b

This one I think I figured out already I think.
Crucial move : 18 gold, if I had moved my dog on d5 to e5 and pushed the opposite camel instead of pulling it I would have saved myself a turn (had to do this move on 19 gold) and I would have been the faster one in the race.
Right?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=205132&s=b

This is the most interesting game I've had soo far.
After playing for control and succeeding in it with both a material and positional advantage I make a terrible move 46 silver forcing me to exchange horses and losing a cat on the next turn in an effort to save my camel. Alas, the camel dies only a couple turns later.
After a couple more captures on both sides, I decide to go into the offense with my rabbits on turn 55  before he gets his big pieces in the center of the board and cruises to victory with his bigger pieces.
After 10 turns of having a rabbit 1 step away from the goalline I finally I manage to find a hole in turn 68, but I bet I missed several opportunities in the last 10 turns to score faster.

Any help would be appreciated.
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

Re: Blocked rabbits close to goal
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2011, 4:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow. I don't know what the deal is with loc sacrificing rabbits. Maybe eliminating pieces from the board that were in its own way?

For the first game, I think you definitely attacked goal too early without enough force. Honstly, I'm not good myself at pushing goal threats through, so I'm not the best to comment, but there were just too many pieces in the back to get in the way. I think you can normally force through when their pieces are much more advanced. You also didn't do enough on the left side of the board, particularly near the C6 trap when you had some of your strongest pieces over there being attacked. You allowed yourself to get distracted with your goaling attempts (which I think were too early), when you should've probably attacked it with your elephant to capture and/or save your pieces. Also, on 22g, you probably shouldn't have unfroze the horse after you pushed it. If you'd have stuck with it, you could've captured the horse and that would be one less piece to deal with. It also would've made up, in part, for some of your material loss coming in the C6 trap.

I'll have to take a look at the other games.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.