Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hyperpape vs. Wiggin »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hyperpape vs. Wiggin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hyperpape vs. Wiggin  (Read 1051 times)
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

Hyperpape vs. Wiggin
« on: Mar 11th, 2012, 3:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=219486

I'd welcome comments on any part of the game, but although there were blunders throughout the game, the endgame in particular bothers me. 28s was a blunder, but after that, I still had (what seems like) an ok position and still couldn't figure out how to handle it.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012, 3:26pm by hyperpape » IP Logged
NJames
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6842

Re: Hyperpape vs. Wiggin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 10:14pm »

Well, here are my thoughts. They're probably worth what I'm charging for them...

(Looking at the game just from 28s on)
At first glance, I suspect your rabbit positions are not as good as Gold's rabbit positions. That seems to play out over the rest of the game. Why do the rabbit positions seem to me to favor Gold from 28s on? Gold rabbits have a strong barricade on the west side preventing you from advancing a rabbit beyond the 4th rank. It will take many steps to break this. On the east side, your rabbits in the 8th rank are not as effective as his rabbits on the 2nd rank either.

The steps used on rabbits on 29s and 30s don't do anything to address this problem and actually tend to make it worse. Your advanced rabbits on the wings never manage to create any threats because of the barricades, but they do reduce the defensive position of your own rabbits. With so few non-rabbit pieces on the board, there was no real need for surrounding the c6 trap with rabbits. You could have just as well moved put those rabbits on a6, b6 and d6.

Hopefully you find these comments helpful in one way or another.
IP Logged

Go !
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 11:10pm »

With such a depleted board - look to spend more steps on goal attack rather then protecting your pieces or even capturing opponent's pieces.

Your "material advantage" of camel vs. cat will only ever matter if the pieces are in direct conflict without the elephant.  So NJames idea to examine of rabbit positions is a good plan.

So, 36s - take another rabbit (I know, contrary to my earlier statement! Your camel isn't even immediately threatened, but more importantly it seems your goal attack around f3 is strong enough to force goal, or at a minimum force the gold elephant to defend.

With that approach at 36s - you turn the 2nd rank rabbits NJames identified as strong into a liability, making it easier to freeze and create space for your rabbit to get past.

38s...look for goal attacks, not capturing rabbits.  At first look you have at least one option for a forced goal in 2 or 3.

39s...too many steps on defense.  You can get away with just 2 steps.  Or possibly a daring zero steps  Shocked
IP Logged

hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 6:39am »

Thanks, this is super helpful. However, part of the problem is that on 38s and 39s, I simply didn't know how to press the goal attack. What can I actually do? Should I bring up the cat?
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 7:11am »

For those two positions I didn't bring up a cat.  Take a look with the plan window and try moving your camel and/or elephant, see if anything looks good.  Especially 39s - I gave some hints for how to split the steps.

I'll post some lines later on, but I am short on time right now.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.