Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « UMDRevan vs bot_Arimaazilla Game 250752 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   UMDRevan vs bot_Arimaazilla Game 250752
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UMDRevan vs bot_Arimaazilla Game 250752  (Read 1253 times)
UMDRevan
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8265

UMDRevan vs bot_Arimaazilla Game 250752
« on: Nov 30th, 2012, 2:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone,

I have now officially been playing Arimaa for over a week! (8 days, lol).

I'm having a blast experimenting and trying to get better.  After a couple of games, I feel like  
there were several general problems that emerged in my first week of play:

1) blundering away material/defensive lapses
2) aggression bordering on recklessness
3) general lack of game knowledge (it's my first week, I'll give myself that one for now)

In any case, I suffered two losses to bot_Arimaazilla, and I decided to go back face the easier bots  
while trying to keep the above in mind and work my way back up for a rematch. The result is the  
following game against bot_Arimaazilla:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=250752

I would love to get feedback in general, and especially as it relates to my three concerns above.
That said, I'll go through the game myself and offer up my thoughts on the game so that my view of  
the game can be corrected/improved as well.

My primary goals for this game were to avoid blundering away material, and to play a more  
defensive/reactive game (but be willing to attack if the opportunity presented itself).  I played the  
silver pieces, and tried to start the game conservatively, without trying to obtain or give up a  
major advantage too early.

My first real action started at 5s, where I tried to get bot_Arimaazilla's cat.  At 7g, gold's camel  
froze my dog.  Honestly, this irritated me for the simple reason it didn't even cross my mind it  
might happen (suggestions for avoiding silly situations like this?).  In any case, several moves  
later, gold's elephant was enticed to defend the gold camel, freeing up my camel to be aggressive on  
the other side of the board.

After 13g, I'm disappointed in the way the board appears.  It looks a lot more chaotic and  
disconnected than I wanted it to look at this point in the game, and I'm not entirely sure about my  
performance while the bot was trying to free the gold camel (something for me to go back and study--
it feels like I missed something).  In addition, I was a bit surprised by the number of gold rabbits  
that were advanced beyond their beginning ranks, and I was unsure how to evaluate this position.  My  
pieces look scattered and uncoordinated.

At 17g, my horse was captured.  Not too sharp.  At least I was able to capture the gold camel as  
compensation, but it just seemed sloppy and unnecessary to lose the horse.  At 20g, I blunder away a  
dog, and the gold rabbit and elephant are a bone in my throat.  Over the next few moves, I attempted  
to force goal/go on the offensive, as it felt like I had lost control of the game and needed to make something  
happen.  

By 27s, it was clear to me that forcing goal was not going to happen, so I changed the thinking and  
started to try to get back to my listed goals and see about fixing my defensive setup, where there  
are several advanced rabbits for gold.

30s is where lucid thought returned, and I abandoned the silver rabbit on F3 to turn my dog loose on  
the gold pieces in the F6 quadrant.  It seems my attempt to advance my rabbit (while I disliked it  
generally) seemed to spread out gold's pieces and give my dog opportunities to capture material.  
Better.

At 37g, I blunder away my other horse (sigh).  At least in return, I was able to completely clear out  
the F6 quadrant from goal threats, and my elephant, which was disappointingly locked down in defense  
in the C6 quadrant suddenly became a positive, where it's extremely unlikely that gold will able to  
reach goal.

Not terribly important, but I felt the position at 43g never really needed to happen.  I avoided any  
loss of material, but I felt like sloppiness prevented an easier win.  And lastly, I got revenge on  
bot_Arimaazilla with a win.

In summary, I was happy to have blundered away less material than in other games I've played, but I  
still blundered away material, so I'm rather annoyed with myself.  I was surprised by and ineffective  
against gold's advanced rabbits until rational thought returned and I established a defensive  
presence.  I'm really disappointed I allowed my elephant to get tied down to passive defensive  
duties, despite it perversely turning into a positive after capturing gold material in the F6  
quadrant.  I was happy to turn things around and get the win (and revenge!), but I would love  
some feedback on these issues.

Thanks, and happy playing!
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

Re: UMDRevan vs bot_Arimaazilla Game 250752
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2012, 3:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there. Some comments.

6s, maybe better to pull the cat twice backwards and let your dog stop next to the trap. The cat still cannot escape if unfrozen and the dog is safer there.

7s, in general, don't send a horse to fight a camel. Better to spend moves getting your elephant to the camel, which you did on the next move.

9s, "framing" the camel, but it can still escape, and on top of that it becomes unfrozen. The camel was better left where it was, and the move spent on something else.

re: 13g, I think the position looks fine. You have a horse hostage and a cat capture threat. Your elephant is more centralized than his and is more of a threat to his camel than his is to yours. And there are too many pieces on your back ranks for gold's advanced rabbits to be a threat and are probably more a liability for him than anything.

14s, perhaps better to spend moves moving your elephant to his camel or your camel away from his elephant.

re: 17g, you will learn rules of thumb for trap defense as you play more. One of them is, you can safely have one defender supporting a trap as long as it is more than two steps away from any stronger attacking piece.

re: 27s, good, cats are well-allocated to fighting advanced rabbits.

You'll stop making blunders with practice. I wouldn't worry about that too much. You're doing great for only one week of play.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2012, 7:58pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.