Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum Ŧ Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633 ŧ

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633  (Read 1235 times)
Saposhiente
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #5970

Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633
« on: Jul 28th, 2013, 1:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi! I won this game, but there are some moves I'm still uncertain about:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=271633
-Was move 17g safe? My instinct told me it wasn't but my analysis told me it was.
-Was his attack on C3 viable, or was I fine not spending time preparing for it in the opening?
-Could I have gotten a proper camel hostage on moves 19-22, or at least put my phant in a better position without giving up the horse or the dog?
-Any other tactical or strategic oversights?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2013, 1:59pm by Saposhiente » IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2013, 8:53am »

Move 17g looks fine to me at first sight. What did you think could happen?  
I donīt see a way for silver to threaten the dog or pretty much anything else. The only thing to note is that you are pulling a rabbit on the side where your opponent has his camel, which is usually not a good idea.  

The first attacking move from silver against the c3 trap is the move 18s;
He was already advanced at this wing and your camel was passive at e1, but advancing with the camel first was not optimal.  
On which moves did you want to prepare for the attack? I think you did fine.

I donīt see a satisfying way to hostage the camel in a traditional way.  
It is really tricky because the rabbit that you pulled on move 17g is often in the way of plans that otherwise would have worked.

Quote:
-Any other tactical or strategic oversights?

Regarding the tactics: On 20g, you are pushing the rabbit you pulled on 19g.
Also on 19s the came could have escaped to b6.

Regarding strategy: You pull rabbits on the camel side on several occasions, which is usually a bad idea.  
Take a look at the journey of the h3 rabbit after the move 11g.  
You never capture or flip it into the trap despite several occasions where you could have done this without danger and there were no other strategic/tactical things to do: 12g, 13g, 15g, 16g.
I am not saying this is bad, you are still threatening the rabbit, but framing it into the trap would lead to the immediate loss of the rabbit as soon as the elephant leaves, and the enemy elephant canīt do any "dances" around the f3 trap.

I noticed you did the move 5g in only 14 seconds and decided on other moves pretty fast as well.  
I hardly think you are doing the best you can when moving so fast, but it depends how competitive you want to play and how much fun you want to have.  
(And how much fun you are having when you play competitively, I know I have a lot of fun thinking about some moves, but not always)
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

Re: Postal Saposhiente vs Heyckie - game 271633
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2013, 12:23pm »

17g: absolutely safe Smiley
18g: i would have captured rabbit h3. It not only gives you slight material advantage, but most importantly it frees rh2 to goal. E.g. you could have played 25g he6w Me5n Hh2n Hh3n with very dangerous attack, had you captured rh3 earlier.
19g: Hb4-a3 possibly is a waste of 2 steps, because mb3->a4 + Hxx->a5 takes 4 steps for silver anyway. Better spend those 2 steps developing. As of "Could I have gotten a proper camel hostage on moves 19-22", I would start by looking at 19g Ra2n Ra1n Ra3n Ed4w with a threat 20g rb5e Hb4n Ec4w Dc3n.
21s: i dont think silver should have moved ed3 that far away from Me1. General swarming move like 21s ha6e dd5w dc5s dd6s looked more promising.
22s: i dont think silver should have exposed pieces in the side where gold has camel as SFP. Thus better was smth like 22s dd5s dd4w Rd3n dd6s. Or 22s ha6e ra7s ra8s rb5e to "threaten" Ha5->b5 + rc5->c4, at least that would have made a logical continuation of decentralizing ed3.
After mistakes on 21s and 22s silver position has rapidly deteriorated.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2013, 12:37pm by Boo » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB Đ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.