Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Computer Shogi »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Computer Shogi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer Shogi  (Read 1202 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Computer Shogi
« on: Mar 10th, 2006, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I found this Web page.

http://home.planet.nl/~henkh/ProComp.htm

Apparently, even as the advantage for humans widens in Arimaa, it is shrinking in shogi.  Does anyone know further updates about state of affairs in shogi?  I wonder if the ban for professionals playing against computers is still in force.  Also I wonder how many humans outside the top 200 (assuming there are 200 professionals) are still better than computers.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Computer Shogi
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 4:49pm »

"The number of people who know the rules of Shogi can be roughly estimated at ten million, the number of those who play regularly must be around a hundred thousand."

What are the numbers for Arimaa?  Maybe the ratio of 100 to 1 is approximately the same, i.e. three thousand people know the rules and thirty play regularly.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 5:06am »

The current Arimaa player number for the newest player is: 1845. The number of human players with a rating uncertianty less than 100 is currently 85.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 6:19am »

My rough count of the players with uncertainty less than 50 is 23.  But that rules out people like clauchau, haizhi, and even Blackknight, so maybe 50 is an unfairly low criteria for "play regularly".
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 12th, 2006, 2:37pm »

The 2006 Computer Championship of Shogi was recently completed, and won by YSS, one of the pre-tournament favorites.  Unfortunately, I can't find a tournament report in English.

In the past, a professional has played the tournament winner at a large material handicap, but last year the computer prevailed at a handicap of a bishop (worth more than a bishop in chess), so I wanted to hear how much the handicap had been reduced this year, and whether the computer still won.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.