Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 7:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The camel piece »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   The camel piece
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The camel piece  (Read 4280 times)
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

The camel piece
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Arimaa's camel stone refers to the Bactrian Camel, with two humps, or the dromedary, with a single hump??  Huh    Cool
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: The camel piece
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 12:25am »

I don't know, but have you ever noticed that the Arimaa dog looks an awful lot like a pig?  For my first couple-dozen games I had to keep reminding myself that there are no pigs in Arimaa.
IP Logged

NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 2:44am »

Yes!!! I tought it was a pig too!!! Cheesy

Now, what about the elephant? Is it an african or indian elephant?  I suppose the gray african elephant would be the silver one, and the brownish asian would be the golden one...   Cool
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 7:59am »

My brother Fred once turned my horse into a frog.  It got pushed around a lot but it could jump over cats.
IP Logged
Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 2:55pm »

on Apr 4th, 2006, 12:25am, Fritzlein wrote:
I don't know, but have you ever noticed that the Arimaa dog looks an awful lot like a pig?  For my first couple-dozen games I had to keep reminding myself that there are no pigs in Arimaa.

Given that the symbolism's point was to give the players an intuitive knowledge of the relative strengths of the pieces and that a pig is obviously stronger than a cat and weaker than a horse of normal size then I don't see a problem in calling it a pig. Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 5:47pm »

I'm trying to remember the endgame where all the heavy pieces were off, and I kept my cats back on defense while my dogs went forward to create goal threats.  At one point I suddenly realized I had "pigs" on the 7th rank.  ("pigs on the 7th" is what you call it in chess when you have both of your rooks on your 7th rank.   Usually that's good for at least a draw by perpetual check if not an outright mate.)
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 8:02am »

on Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:24pm, NIC1138 wrote:
Arimaa's camel stone refers to the Bactrian Camel, with two humps, or the dromedary, with a single hump??  Huh    Cool

Looks to me more like the single hump Dromedary camel Smiley
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 8:11am »

on Apr 4th, 2006, 12:25am, Fritzlein wrote:

You should have seen the first version of the cat; I can't seem to find that image anymore, but it looked a lot like a pig. The current version of the dog is supposed to look like a german shephard.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2006, 8:14am by omar » IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #8 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 5:20pm »

oh I thought it was more like a dogo argentino or something (with shortened ears)

Don't shepperds have longer ears ?
Also a dogo would be more useful in battle Wink
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 1:31pm »

I always thought a Rhinocerous would be better than a camel.   It's more obviously intermediate in size between a horse and a phant, especially to American idiots like me who don't really know what a camel looks like.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 4:53pm »

on Apr 12th, 2006, 1:31pm, IdahoEv wrote:
I always thought a Rhinocerous would be better than a camel.

That's funny.  I did once see a nature documentary where a rogue elephant was slaughtering innocent rhinos.  Yet my first thought was that the second piece should be a lion rather than a camel.

A while back, I was going to suggest that a lion would be a more sensible second-strongest piece than a camel, and cooler for promoting the game, but I got to thinking:  While a lion certainly can't take down an elephant, conversely an elephant could never catch a lion, so between those two animals it is sort of stalemated.

Since then, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is there are vegetarians for the top three pieces.  For the most comprehensible hierarchy, every piece should be able to eat the next lower piece for dinner.  How about Lion > Wolf > Dog > Cat > Rabbit > Grass?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 5:08pm »

You want to play a game where the objective is to get some grass to the other side of the field?
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 5:42pm »

rofl  Grin
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 7:33pm »

You might not care about winning anymore after you capture too much of the opponent's grass.

"We're all brothers, man ... i think we both win!"
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 2:06pm »

The question about lions and rhinos takes us to the other questioning:  Is it an african elephant or an indian elephant? What exactly is the geographic context of arimaa, Iran/msopotamia/arabia? Or perhaps the whole region from north Africa to north India?... With that decided, we can then chose the cat and dog species more carefully... Smiley

We could also take out the dog, and make it cat, hawk and rabbit, since the hawk is a very traditional animal in the arab world!... Also, the killer instinct is stronger in cats against birds and hawks against rabbits, than in dogs against cats and cats against rabbits!!..  Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.