Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 7:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Shogi and Havannah »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Shogi and Havannah
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shogi and Havannah  (Read 1175 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Shogi and Havannah
« on: May 13th, 2006, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks !

I saw you mention Havannah and Shogi, but haven't found any good place to play online, neither downloadable program ...
Do you know any ?

Jean
IP Logged

unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

Re: Shogi and Havannah
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2006, 8:24am »

Havannah can be played pbem at either Richard's pbem-server ( http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv ) or the mindsports arena.  I don't know of any Havannah-playing software.

Shogi - for downloadable programs, I'd recommend Spear ( http://gamelab.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/SHOGI/SPEAR/spear.html  ).  To play online in realtime: http://www.shogidojo.com/eng/engindex.htm and for pbem Richard's pbem-server (again).
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Thanks a lot Unic ! I've already suffered my first loss to Spear Smiley unfortunately the ideograms are really hard to get ...
I saw the pbem server but it looks really userunfriendly to me ... Sad
And the mindsports arena didn't worked last night ... And I'm unable to register at shogidojo ... d**n
 ! I feel stupid !  

Well, at least I can play Shogi now, looks great but hard ... it's as if I was learning bughouse without having ever played chess before Smiley

Thanks again !

Jean
IP Logged

unic
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1878

« Reply #3 on: May 14th, 2006, 2:57pm »

The pbemserver is quite user-friendly as long as you stick to games supported by the graphical interface (which include both Havannah and Shogi).  Click on the board to choose your move, click view move to see the resulting position, and click send move to submit it Smiley

(If you want to play one of the text-only games, that's a bit more unfriendly though - but they have a whole bunch of games via the graphical interface.)

Shogi: I'd recommend you persevere with the ideograms - they will become familiar soon enough if you keep playing (I found myself not having to think about them after half a dozen games or so), and not learning them would really limit your possibilities of playing Shogi online or with people in real life.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.