Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 1:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « yet another silly question »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   yet another silly question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: yet another silly question  (Read 3846 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

yet another silly question
« on: Jul 18th, 2006, 1:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all,

may one have more than one account ?

thx !
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: yet another silly question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 6:25pm »

I think several people have had more than one, for various reasons.  Omar set up a second account as OmarFast because he didn't want games at 30 seconds per move to affect his real rating.  Later he must have changed his mind, because he played even blitz games with his main account and stopped playing with OmarFast.

99of9 set up a second account as 88of8 so that he could attempt botashing records at huge handicaps without affecting his rating.  The 88of8 account became unnecessary when Omar added the feature of "Unrated Mode", specifically for botbashers.

Vinvin set up a second account as VinvinBel, but I have no idea why.  Maybe he couldn't remember the password for the Vinvin account?

There are several more examples of one person having two accounts.  But why do you want a second one?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 6:36pm »

because I am in awe for fritzlforpresident's nickname Smiley
IP Logged

FritzlForMaster
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #2036

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 8:23pm »

Well, no more  Grin
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 10:01pm »

I can't tell you how flattered I am.  My fans are legion!  Well, two at least.
IP Logged

FritzlForMaster
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #2036

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 10:08pm »

actually, I wondered for the potm : if I play someone with this other account, it might make 4 games counted for potm against myself for this person, instead of 2 ... Any special rule for this ?
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 9:28am »

on Jul 18th, 2006, 10:01pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I can't tell you how flattered I am.  My fans are legion!  Well, two at least.

Can I join the fan club too?  My new nickname will be
"AtnediserProFnielztirF"
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 9:31am »

Yes, it would give extra points for Player of the Month.  The special rule is don't do that or anything else to manipulate the Player of the Month that isn't in the spirit of the contest.  It's fairly amazing that no one has tried to circumvent the spirit of the rules in PotM so far; it's the type of contest that tends to have many loopholes.  So far there hasn't been any evidence of collusion, or games lost on purpose, or fake accounts, or anything except the winner trying to play lots of serious games against as many different people as possible.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 9:34am »

on Jul 18th, 2006, 10:08pm, FritzlForMaster wrote:
actually, I wondered for the potm : if I play someone with this other account, it might make 4 games counted for potm against myself for this person, instead of 2 ... Any special rule for this ?

I think that playing HvH games with 2 separate accounts should be disallowed.  A second account should only be used for HvB games, if a second account can be justified at all.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 9:38am »

on Jul 19th, 2006, 9:31am, Fritzlein wrote:
Yes, it would give extra points for Player of the Month.  The special rule is don't do that or anything else to manipulate the Player of the Month that isn't in the spirit of the contest.  It's fairly amazing that no one has tried to circumvent the spirit of the rules in PotM so far; it's the type of contest that tends to have many loopholes.  So far there hasn't been any evidence of collusion, or games lost on purpose, or fake accounts, or anything except the winner trying to play lots of serious games against as many different people as possible.

Other than some blatant abuse of the "Change to Unrated" feature, I'd say that this website has a remarkably upstanding group of people.  I've never yet had any worries that anyone would cheat in HvH contests for PoTM, WC or Postal Championship.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 11:07am »

One feature somebody might want someday is the ability to rename their one account so they can retain rating and history information.  The reason to do this would be simply the desire to have a new name.  For example, if J. K. Rowling ever visits this site, I might have to rename my account.  Maybe to ... BartyCrouch.

Anyway, feel free to open new accounts named WeasleyIsOurKing.
IP Logged
DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 8:07am »

on Jul 19th, 2006, 9:38am, Adanac wrote:

Other than some blatant abuse of the "Change to Unrated" feature...

I think we should vote to eliminate that option, who's with me?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 8:37am »

I hope we can abolish the change-to-unrated feature when the new javascript client is complete and tested.  Once we have a more stable client, there will be less need to unrate games.  There will still be games which are lost due to connection/Internet problems rather than interface problems, but hopefully those will be a much smaller number of games and therefore more tolerable.

If we do keep the change-to-unrated feature, then perhaps we could limit folks to using it once per week.  If you've already unrated a game in the past week, you will know that you are playing at your own risk from then on.  Anyone who is hyper-concerned about his rating can always play in Unrated Mode until a week has passed and he has the protection back.
IP Logged

DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 5:36pm »

on Jul 20th, 2006, 8:37am, Fritzlein wrote:
I hope we can abolish the change-to-unrated feature when the new javascript client is complete and tested.  Once we have a more stable client, there will be less need to unrate games.  There will still be games which are lost due to connection/Internet problems rather than interface problems, but hopefully those will be a much smaller number of games and therefore more tolerable.

If we do keep the change-to-unrated feature, then perhaps we could limit folks to using it once per week.  If you've already unrated a game in the past week, you will know that you are playing at your own risk from then on.  Anyone who is hyper-concerned about his rating can always play in Unrated Mode until a week has passed and he has the protection back.

One thing that I consider a bug is that when I send my move at say 5 sec. elapsed on the clock, it registers sometimes, at up to 30 SEC. for that move. That means that the 25 sec. that it took the server to respond are taken off MY thinking time. I think it could easily be corrected if the server took into account MY LOCAL time when I pushed the button. Do you agree with me Fritz?
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2006, 5:37pm by DorianGaray » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 6:08pm »

I know that the client for the Internet Chess Club has a "timestamp" feature that sends in both the move, and the amount of time used locally on that player's computer, i.e. the difference between when the previous move arrived and a response was sent.  This factors out the time of Internet lag.  However, I understand that it was somewhat vulnerable to cheating, and I have no idea how difficult this is to code securely.  There may be programmers here who have a better insight than I do.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.