Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Computer program resolve checkers!!!!! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Computer program resolve checkers!!!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer program resolve checkers!!!!!  (Read 1539 times)
OLTI
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1034

Computer program resolve checkers!!!!!
« on: Jul 20th, 2007, 6:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Check out this  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070719/ap_on_hi_te/solving_checkers
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Computer program resolve checkers!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 8:21am »

Wow, only 13 years between Chinook topping the best human and solving the game.  That must be a testament to the importance of brute force.  Surely the same will not be true for chess or Go, will it?  If computers win the World Championship of Go in 2025, will Go be solved in 2038?  I don't think so, because I think computers will win at Go by some not-mostly-brute-force method.
IP Logged

JacquesB
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2380

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:35am »

Go will never be solved in the strict sense used in game theory. Of course, I expect to see the day when a computer beats the strongest human soon (say before 2030). After many years in computer go I have only understood this about one year ago or so: Go against what can game theory can prove (this is  paradoxical) is an infinite game. The search space should be treated as infinite and combinatorial methods are not applicable. The price you have to pay for pruning the decision space is too high and that will always give mediocre programs (in 19x19, of course). Go will be won (not solved) through knowledge engineering and statistics.  UCT is just the beginning of a change in the direction of computer go. All pending games (and this includes how Arimaa was created) have been way too much influenced by how chess was won: minimax search + sorted alfa beta pruning + tricks. Almost a decade after deep blue, we have to change our minds to win new games, including Arimaa.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:36am by JacquesB » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:46am »

I don't see how computers could beat humans at go in the forseeable future (say, before the end of humankind ?  Shocked)
Very impressive that they've solved checkers nonetheless ; thanks for the news Olti.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 1:24pm »

Good riddance to a game with such a ridiculously high number of draws.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 9:22am »

on Jul 20th, 2007, 11:46am, chessandgo wrote:
I don't see how computers could beat humans at go in the forseeable future

I don't see how computers can beat humans at Go either, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.  Probably it is just a matter of time.  To tell the truth, I don't even see how a sewing machine can work, but it does work.  Life has a way of surprising us.  Wink

(Although in this case it might turn out that the people who think computers will inevitably conquer Go are the ones who will be surprised. Smiley)
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.