Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « A suggestion on Arimaa interface »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   A suggestion on Arimaa interface
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A suggestion on Arimaa interface  (Read 1671 times)
Werner
Forum Senior Member

A suggestion on Arimaa interface
« on: Aug 25th, 2007, 6:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Having read the MSc Thesis on Arimaa by Christ-Jan Cox from Maastricht University, I was convinced that the game Arimaa is a complex strategy game, closely related to chess. That was why I decided to register in Arimaa Gameroom, to understand the game better.

The game pieces are closely related to chess, but the names are replaced by that of animals.

I suggest that the images of the animals on the javascript interface should be replaced by special fonts representing arimaa animals. Moreover, fonts should be freely chosen by the users, such that we could have, for example, E0 (E1)for gold (silver) elephants, M0 (M1)for gold (silver) camels, D0 (D1) for gold (silver) dogs, C0 (C1) for gold (silver) cats, R0 for gold (silver) rabbits. In this way, the fonts could be loaded far quicker than images, as they are represented by words. Moreover, it would be more pleasant for some users to see words representing the "animals" instead of the images. This should be included as an option, but not compulsory for all users.  

IP Logged

\
DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

Re: A suggestion on Arimaa interface
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 6:41am »

I strongly disagree, I like Arimaa the way it is.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: A suggestion on Arimaa interface
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 10:55pm »

on Aug 25th, 2007, 6:52am, Jan Kruschak wrote:
This should be included as an option, but not compulsory for all users.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with extra options in the game client.  For me, I probably wouldn't use the other symbols, because I have become so familiar with the current pieces.  But if I could download the current piece fonts once, and save downloading them every time I load a gameboard, that would help keep my ISP charges down!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.