Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 8:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Shogi programs beat top shogi amatuers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Shogi programs beat top shogi amatuers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shogi programs beat top shogi amatuers  (Read 1065 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Shogi programs beat top shogi amatuers
« on: May 5th, 2008, 8:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've heard Shogi described as the Japanese version of chess and has a game tree complexity fairly close to Arimaa.

It's played on a 9x9 board, with each player starting with 20 pieces of 8 differing ranks. Instead of the 8x8 board, 16 piece, 6 ranks of chess. Captured pieces can also be placed back on the board by the capturing player. I believe this is the main mechanic that increases the complexity in shogi as opposed to the multiple steps per turn mechanic in Arimaa.

Unfortunately it appears that all the information on the games won against the humans is in Japanese. The English announcement to the computer-go mailling list can be read here.

Janzert
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: Shogi programs beat top shogi amatuers
« Reply #1 on: May 5th, 2008, 11:30am »

Thanx! Janzert.  I am interested in Shogi too.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2008, 9:31am »

Thanks, Janzert.  Somehow this post didn't register with me at first.  The write-up of the tournament is very engaging apart from the fact that the computers beat the top amateurs, but I was particularly interested that the defeated humans are actually stronger than some professionals.  There may now be a hundred computer-beating Shogi players or fewer left in the world.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:05pm »

There is now an english write up on the whole tournament at http://gamelab.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/SHOGI/CSA2008/18csa.html. There is a short section on the HvB games towards the end in a section marked "The Exhibition". One thing of note is that it seems these games were played with short time controls.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.