Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The Boy With the Incredible Brain »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   The Boy With the Incredible Brain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Boy With the Incredible Brain  (Read 1832 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

The Boy With the Incredible Brain
« on: Sep 7th, 2008, 6:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A must see video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8064809333964304431&hl=en

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: The Boy With the Incredible Brain
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 9:37pm »

Did anyone get a chance to watch this. It's a bit long, but worth it. I was totally blown away by this guys mental capacity.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 6:11am »

Yes, thanks for bumping this I meant to comment but finished watching late at night and then forgot to comment on it by the next day.

I always find these sorts of things very interesting. I had previously seen a documentary about Kim Peek (the real rain man).

The thing I'm always wishing for when watching this sort of program is that someone would try and develop an np-complete problem that plays to the person's strength. Then see if the savant in question can break np time to solve it with increasingly difficult examples.

Janzert
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:39am »

I watched this and was fascinated by it. Although their talents are better used elsewhere, could someone like this be able to convert such computing capacity into dominance in Arimaa or chess? If there are savants who can remember everything they've ever read, what prevents them from reading tons of chess literature, memorizing enormous opening books and thousands of master games, and then contesting the world title?
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:41am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:40am »

I also watched the video and found it amazing.

Janzert, I'm not sure that Daniel's abilities scale up in a way that make NP-completeness applicable.  The documentary focused on his abilities, not his limitations, but if I read between the lines correctly, he can quickly multiply arbitrary four-digit numbers, but not arbitrary five-digit numbers.  The amazing multiplications where he was overflowing the calculator were all exponentiation, e.g. 27^6, which is somewhat easier than arbitrary multiplication.

If I am not mistaken, Daniel's natural mathematical abilities are surpassed by a few individuals with specialized training.  I believe even the abacus whizzes shown in the documentary were doing larger mental multiplications than Daniel can do, but in any event there are individuals who can train themselves to quickly multiply abritrary six-digit numbers.  Futhermore Daniel's recitation of pi is not the record; there is a Japanese fellow who recited 100,000 digits by telling himself a story.  Look up pseudonumerology for an explanation of how to translate numbers to words and back, a skill that ordinary people can learn.

It is astonishing that someone can naturally do something that would take me years of dedicated study to train myself to do.  There is indeed something remarkable about Daniel's brain.  But there is also something remarkable about the human brain per se that we don't understand.  In a sense the most amazing thing is not any particular human mental accomplishment so much as the general capabilities of the brain that can be trained in so many different directions.

In order to really shake up my world-view, Daniel would need to do something that not even a highly-trained normal person could do, for example, solve the Eternity Two puzzle.  That would be a transcendent accomplishment.

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:45am »

on Sep 15th, 2008, 8:39am, The_Jeh wrote:
If there are savants who can remember everything they've ever read, what prevents them from reading tons of chess literature, memorizing enormous opening books and thousands of master games, and then contesting the world title?

The problem is that eventually you get "out of book" and have to play on your own.  Even if a savant could unfailingly get to a favorable position from the chess opening, he or she would get crushed from there on out by a regular grandmaster.  There are too many possible ways to play a game of chess to memorize them all, even for a savant who reads a hundred times faster than I do and never forgets anything.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:51am »

I just did the online demo of Eternity II (16 pieces) and solved it in 1 min 47 sec.

Not sure if this was good or I just got lucky.

IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:53am »

on Sep 15th, 2008, 8:45am, Fritzlein wrote:

The problem is that eventually you get "out of book" and have to play on your own.  Even if a savant could unfailingly get to a favorable position from the chess opening, he or she would get crushed from there on out by a regular grandmaster.  There are too many possible ways to play a game of chess to memorize them all, even for a savant who reads a hundred times faster than I do and never forgets anything.

Yes, but assuming the savant and the grandmaster have equal mental potential otherwise, the savant should have a huge advantage, being able to recall any piece of learned information he wants. And you've cited studies showing that the amount of study time is the primary indicator of skill level in chess. Of course, if I recall correctly, savants, while gifted in some mental areas, are often deficient in others. Perhaps that accounts for any weaknesses once out of book.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:55am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 9:06am »

on Sep 15th, 2008, 8:53am, The_Jeh wrote:
Yes, but assuming the savant and the grandmaster have equal mental potential otherwise, the savant should have a huge advantage, being able to recall any piece of learned information he wants. And you've cited studies showing that the amount of study time is the primary indicator of skill level in chess. Of course, if I recall correctly, savants, while gifted in some mental areas, are often deficient in others. Perhaps that accounts for any weaknesses once out of book.

The main point is how one plays chess well.  If a savant studied chess like everyone else and got good at chess in the same way, that would be an achievement, but not a singular one.  Your original question was about winning at chess purely by dint of a prodigious memory, which I think is not possible.

I don't know whether savants necessarily have an offsetting mental disadvantage. Of course a perfect memory of chess openings is a big help, all else being equal.
IP Logged

Polyfractal
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #3241

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 11:55am »

Just finished watching the documentary, very interesting.  Perhaps the most interesting part wasn't his phenomenal abilities but rather the way they manifested themselves.  He was the first to admit that he wasn't doing any calculating, or even consciously attempting to "solve" the problem.  Rather, he just presented the problem to his mind and magically began to get answers back.  It was almost as if his mind was treating multiplication like it treats other autonomous activities, such as breathing or digestion.

Very cool stuff Smiley
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 2:32pm »

Funny that nobody made any comments about his most impressive skill: being able to learn a language in a week. I've met once a student from Syria with an IQ (evidently) off the scale who learned French in a few weeks right before my very eyes without any help from specialized literature or lessons from teachers ( he couldn't afford them) . It was incredible, each day it was as if I met a slightly different person from someone who knew a dozen words to someone discussing philosophy or the finer points of poetry (he was able to compare people like Rimbaud and Verlaine). That's definitely more remarkable than people reciting the phone book or PI with thousands of decimal places.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.