Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Anand Rocks »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Anand Rocks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anand Rocks  (Read 1575 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Anand Rocks
« on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is anyone watching the chess World Championship?  Viswanathan Anand is absolutely destroying Vladimir Kramnik.  The games, apart from the first, have been quite interesting: unbalanced and sharp.  Although it is too bad that computers watching the match can play better than the contestants in the match, these games are proof that chess is not at all "played out".  There's still plenty of life left in the old game.
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

Re: Anand Rocks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:11am »

I'm watching. In game 5, the refutation to Kramnik's Nxd4 was so deep that it took Fruit running on my home computer over three minutes to find the refutation. The refutation was about 16 half-moves deep in total. Of course, Anand saw it easily. It's kind of hard to believe that Kramnik is the guy who beat Kasparov by watching this match.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:55am »

on Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:11am, The_Jeh wrote:
I'm watching. In game 5, the refutation to Kramnik's Nxd4 was so deep that it took Fruit running on my home computer over three minutes to find the refutation. The refutation was about 16 half-moves deep in total. Of course, Anand saw it easily. It's kind of hard to believe that Kramnik is the guy who beat Kasparov by watching this match.

I have a hard time admitting that there is so big a difference between them. I think Kramnik may simply be in a slump. That happens in any human activity and Chess is no exception.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:15am »

Actually I didn't know it was going on until my wife told me about it. She saw a news clip about it on one of the Indian channels on TV. I've been following since. I am glad to see that the games are not a series of draws and I am totally amazed that Anand won two of the games with the black pieces. I guess all the trips to the bathroom aren't helping Kramnik this time Smiley

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3553

But as they say; it's not over till it's over.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:16am by omar » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:59am »

I liked a comment I read about the meta-game.  On his second win as black, the game followed his first win until Anand deviated first.  It said maybe Anand suspected Kramnik had an improvement prepared, so Anand avoided it.

The nearest I can come to that is to avoid bot bashing positions.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:18pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:15am, omar wrote:
...I guess all the trips to the bathroom aren't helping Kramnik this time Smiley

What do you mean?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:38pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:55am, Arimabuff wrote:

I have a hard time admitting that there is so big a difference between them. I think Kramnik may simply be in a slump. That happens in any human activity and Chess is no exception.

I also don't think there is a big difference between the skill level of Anand and Kramnik, but I tend to believe in luck more than in slumps.  Anand has only won three in a row, excluding draws.  If you flip a fair coin often enough you will get three heads in a row, or three tails in row.  A run of three doesn't mean that the next flip is any more likely to continue the streak than to break it.  For example, consider my three wins over chessandgo during the 2008 World Arimaa Championship.  Tongue
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:54am »

I guess Kramnik is back.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27th, 2008, 6:37pm »

If Kramnik comes back to win this match after having been down three games with three games to play, it will be the greatest comeback in the history of the chess World Championship.  Even Kasparov coming back from 5-0 down against Karpov pales in comparison, because in that match draws did not count, and anyway it was halted before Kasparov got all the way to 6-5.

Are bookmakers giving odds?  Surely Kramnik is less than 100:1 even with today's win.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2008, 6:38pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 2:16pm »

on Oct 27th, 2008, 6:37pm, Fritzlein wrote:
If Kramnik comes back to win this match after having been down three games with three games to play, it will be the greatest comeback in the history of the chess World Championship.  Even Kasparov coming back from 5-0 down against Karpov pales in comparison, because in that match draws did not count, and anyway it was halted before Kasparov got all the way to 6-5.

Are bookmakers giving odds?  Surely Kramnik is less than 100:1 even with today's win.

There is a first time for everything.  Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 12:38pm »

on Oct 28th, 2008, 2:16pm, Arimabuff wrote:

There is a first time for everything.  Wink

Indeed, and for this thing the first time will have to be some future year.  Anand secured a draw in game 11, and with it the crown.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.