Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « real-time abstract strategy games »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   real-time abstract strategy games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: real-time abstract strategy games  (Read 1116 times)
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

real-time abstract strategy games
« on: Nov 19th, 2009, 11:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are there any? What I'd like to do is make a game that feels like Arimaa, but is played in real-time.

I'm imagining the pieces as circular discs that slide around inside a big circle. pushing/pulling/freezing when the edges touch. Trapping/goaling could be done by pushing pieces out of the main circle, or to its centre, or to special zones? Both players control the movement of their pieces simultaneously in real-time. Pieces can move in any direction. Maybe at different speeds? Several (or maybe all) the pieces can be moving at the same time. (maybe you would allow both players to pause the game and change how their pieces are moving, then only allow action when both players have unpaused?).

I'm thinking it would have the same feel as arimaa to play. So you have the balance between fewer strong pieces against more weak pieces, the long term strategy, the capture/goal races, etc etc.  

You get the idea? Could this work as a game? Has anything similar been done? How hard would it be for humans to play? How hard for computers?

It could also work in 3D : )
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

Re: real-time abstract strategy games
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 11:16pm »

This is interesting. Icehouse: a turnless abstract strategy game.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icehouse_%28game%29

That's the closest thing I can find. I guess real-time arimaa would be impossible to play without a computer.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2009, 6:46am »

Good idea froody. I've been thinking about it too without much more detail than you have.

I remember having played Kung-Fu Chess a few years ago : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung-fu_chess

The site is off but fans have revived the game as Tempest : http://www.tempestchess.com

It's a great experience - like Chess meets World Of Warcraft.

If I remember well, its main features are :

1) Time is now smooth, or at least fine-grained, not coarse-grained nor turn-based.

2) Space is still discrete and coarse-grained : the only available destinations are the usual 8x8 squares. Interactions only occur on them.

3) You and your opponent can move as many pieces as you want at the same time.

4) Except it takes time for a piece to reach the destination you asked for and I think you cannot change your mind about it.

5) Furthermore, once a piece has reached its assigned destination, there is an additional visible delay you must wait before you can move the same piece again.
IP Logged
nycavri
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2416

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2009, 9:18pm »

The Icehouse system is what got me into this hobby in the first place.  The game of Icehouse itself actually plays more like a sport than a board game, and needs a certain mindset (known appropriately as "cool") from the players.

There are a couple of other real time strategy games that I know of - Icetowers and Light Speed (port of Icehouse to cards) are the one's that leap to mind.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.