Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2024, 11:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Human + Machine instead of Human vs Machine »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Human + Machine instead of Human vs Machine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Human + Machine instead of Human vs Machine  (Read 1291 times)
SimonDorfman
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4732

Human + Machine instead of Human vs Machine
« on: Feb 20th, 2010, 10:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

An interesting article: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23592

Garry Kasparov:
Quote:
What if instead of human versus machine we played as partners? My brainchild saw the light of day in a match in 1998 in León, Spain, and we called it “Advanced Chess.” Each player had a PC at hand running the chess software of his choice during the game. The idea was to create the highest level of chess ever played, a synthesis of the best of man and machine.
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: Human + Machine instead of Human vs Machine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2010, 12:46pm »

Some players use bots to make analysis after the game in arimaa. Maybe with practice a bot could be used effectively in a game.  

In chess I don't think that is a good idea anymore since the top level is already owned by computers, as far as I know.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2010, 2:05pm »

on Feb 20th, 2010, 12:46pm, Eltripas wrote:
Some players use bots to make analysis after the game in arimaa. Maybe with practice a bot could be used effectively in a game.  

In chess I don't think that is a good idea anymore since the top level is already owned by computers, as far as I know.

I guess the Mob game is the only game where computers and humans are working together, although the computers tend to take a very subsidiary role. Maybe someday we will be able to have a human+computer tournament.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2010, 2:07pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2010, 7:06am »

As Kasparov pointed out even in that article, when computers started getting better than humans, the humans no longer needed to contribute any chess knowledge to the team in order to play well.  And for Arimaa, there is little for the bots to contribute at present except in endgames.

These two examples make me suspect that the man/machine partnership is most interesting when partners are near equal strength.  Cyborgs are cool in principle, but in practice it may usually boil down to handing off only a tiny, well-defined task to the computer, or to handing off everything to the computer except a tiny, well-defined task reserved for the human.  The gray area of creative interaction may be relatively small.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2010, 3:33pm »

on Feb 21st, 2010, 7:06am, Fritzlein wrote:
there is little for the bots to contribute at present except in endgames.

Are bots now better than humans at endgames?  Perhaps we should have an endgame challenge once the CC is over.  Starting say 10 moves out from the eventual goal of a bunch of close games, playing twice with sides reversed.

Surely you're not conceding part of the game already Fritz? Or do you just mean the final forced lines?  Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2010, 6:39pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2010, 3:33pm, 99of9 wrote:
Surely you're not conceding part of the game already Fritz? Or do you just mean the final forced lines?  Smiley

I may be over-generalizing from my own weak goal attack and defense, but yes, I do concede that bots will usually outplay me in endgames of, say, eight pieces on a side or fewer.  This is in addition to bots being better than me at finding freak forced goals and miraculous defenses on a full board with a temporary imbalance.

Arimaa so much in flux, though, that I can imagine humanity (and even me) getting significantly better at endgames when we pay more attention to them and get some of the theory codified.  For starters, reading a draft of chessandgo's chapter on endgames has already helped me.

I haven't missed having a computer in my corner for the Mob game until this most recent move.  It would be a huge timesaver if I could check the end of some lines where I think I have stopped the goal attack but I am not sure.  I am probably going to lose the Mob game on some move when I allow an attack that I think I can defend but can't really.  That's not a problem, though, because I'm going to lose the game anyway, and I need the goal attack/defense analysis practice.

By the way, very nice 30g from the Mob just when I thought I had sufficiently slowed a rabbit advance up the h-file.  I didn't even think about a rabbit coming up the f-file.  I had three weeks to think, and the time was not full of happy thoughts.  In fact, I mostly avoided contemplating how doomed I am by altogether avoiding analyzing. Cry
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 5:29am »

So now the challenge for us bot designers is to get into the endgame.  Unfortunately it's at the end Cool.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.