Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « My homework »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   My homework
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My homework  (Read 1105 times)
hanzack
Forum Senior Member

lalala...I'm singing a song of arimaa.

My homework
« on: Jun 11th, 2010, 4:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please tell me about programing. help meee!  Cry
I want to plot next programmings on emacs.

1,  when you input a positive number from your keyboard,  
making the program plot only multipuls of 3 in numbers from 0 to the number you input

2,  making the program add an indentation every time it plots 5 numbers

3,  making the program plot the sum total of the plotted numbers.  

and I wrote like this

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{  int x, y = 0;  
    printf("x ? ");
    scanf("%d", &x);
    if(x < 0){
    printf("Input positive number");
     }else{
    while(3 * y <= x){
     printf("%3d ", 3 * y); y++, x--;
   }
    return 0;
}  

when i inputted the number "12" , it plotted this

"x ? 15
  0  3  6  9 12 15"

awww help meee!!! awawawa Undecided
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

Re: My homework
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 8:29am »

Since the topic is "My Homework", I'm guessing this is a homework assignment.  So, I won't give you the answer, but will try to give a couple of ideas.  

1.  Include error checking.  Make sure the user can't enter a negative number. <EDIT> I reread your post and see you already have that.
2.  Instead of a while loop, consider a for loop.  with for loops, you can do something like this:
Code:
int counter;
for(counter = 0; counter <= num; counter += 2)
{
/* do something */
}

That would do something with the numbers from 0 to num, incrementing by 2 rather than 3
3.  for part 2 you could add another counter, increment by 1 in the loop, and each time that new counter % 5 == 0, print out a tab or something
OR... you could use some math and use the original for loop counter % 15 to determine when to print out the tab.  The math I'm suggesting here is not complete - it is homework after all.  However, if I were the instructor, I'd probably like the mathematical solution better - depends no your instructor, I suppose.  
4.  For part 3, as for part 2 you could declare another variable and add the for loop counter value to it each time through the loop, then print that value at the end.  
OR... you could probably use something like the mathematical formula for summing numbers from 1 to n.  and maybe multiply that by 3... not sure since I haven't worked through the math on that one... but it seems like something like that would work.  

Best of luck with that!
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010, 8:56am by ocmiente » IP Logged

FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 9:58am »

1. Yeah, use a for loop, like ocmiente said. And get rid of the x--, which I don't understand what it's for and doesn't seem to be executing anyway.

2. For the tab thing, the character is "\t", FYI, and to do it you could declare another variable and use it to count to 5 in the loop, and when it gets to 5 output "\t" and then reset the counter to 0 and count up again.

3. For the sum total, use an accumulator (a variable that holds a running sum) in the for loop and keep adding the y to it (use the "+=" operator).

Make sure you declare those variables outside of the loop though or it might cause problems.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010, 9:59am by FireBorn » IP Logged
hanzack
Forum Senior Member

lalala...I'm singing a song of arimaa.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 6:52am »

Thank you very much! Ocmiente and FireBorn! I made it! Kiss
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.