Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 1:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « IBM AI plays Jeopardy »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   IBM AI plays Jeopardy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IBM AI plays Jeopardy  (Read 10615 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: IBM AI plays Jeopardy
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 14th, 2011, 1:39pm, ddyer wrote:
That is light years away from the methods used to play traditional board games like chess or Arimaa.

Hmmm... I was just wondering whether there is some parallel on an abstract plane.  In both chess and Jeopardy the computer spends a lot of time on worthless answers.  There is the "answer generation" part of Watson (like search in computer chess) and the "answer assessment" part of Watson (like static position evaluation in chess).  Of course it seems to me that both generating answers and evaluating answers for Jeopardy questions would be harder problems than the analogous bits of chess engines, but somehow it seems to me that there is a structural similarity.

Chess programs have been disparaged as being dumb and fast, but for all we know, this is how our own brains work without our knowing it.  Maybe when someone asks, "Who was president before Kennedy?", our brains try out and reject a million different answers without our being aware that it is going on, because all that we eventually become conscious of is the most probable answer that passes plausibility filters and rises to the top.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 6:52pm »

I watched the show today. Watson was quite impressive. IBM should consider putting it online to allow people to ask it questions.

on Jul 16th, 2010, 8:36am, Fritzlein wrote:

Bad news folks.  Deep down I have long cherished a hope that Arimaa would eventually attract the attention of IBM.  Maybe not right away, maybe not until the player base grows and the Arimaa Challenge remains unconquered through 2020, but some day.  Particularly if the man/machine rating gap happened to be even bigger in 2020 than it is today, say 800 rating points instead of 500, perhaps IBM would think Arimaa was interesting enough to take on.

Maybe IBM already looked at Arimaa and decided it was too difficult Smiley

https://www-927.ibm.com/ibm/cas/hspc/Profiles/People/profiles.shtml#Newb orn
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 7:57pm »

The first episode has been put on YouTube:
Part 1
Part 2
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #18 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 1:34am »

Hmm... Watson really crushed them yesterday. I wonder how much of it has to do with buzzer reaction time. I know that it is pressing an actual buzzer via a robotic mechanism. Still, it should take a human much more reaction time to see the lights turn off and then press the button by thumb than it would take a computer to receive the go-ahead via circuit and then use the robotic mechanism.

But strictly from the standpoint of how well Watson is answering, I am impressed. True, there were some exceptions, most notably in Final Jeopardy:  
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-buzz/2011/02/watson_on_jeopardy_ton giht.html
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/IBMs-Watson-Wins-in-Jeopardy- Needs-Lessons-in-US-Geography-845727/

I'll probably miss Game 2 because of work. Hopefully I'll be able to see it somewhere later.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2011, 1:48am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #19 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 5:05am »

Apparently lots of people are complaining that Watson's advantage seems to be more in the button pressing time than in knowing the answers.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #20 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 7:21am »

Even with the button pressing advantage, I'm still impressed with Watson.

One thing bothering me is IBM trying to oversell the technology.  At one point they were saying a Watson-like system could replace doctors for medical diagnosis.  No it can't.  However, it can be very helpful in assisting doctors.  On a related note, IBM seems to be saying the Watson technology is new.  It's not.  It's just bigger and impressively general.  Specialized decision aid systems have been around for about twenty years.  I'm still impressed, but I hate seeing the executives mislead the public.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:53am »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 7:21am, RonWeasley wrote:

I was also very impressed with Watson's performance.  I don't know much about AI but I would have intuitively expected that the Arimaa Challenge would be won before the best Jeopardy contestants were defeated.  And I was surprised to learn that I don't live in a U.S. city  Shocked

I think this highly publicized event will help Arimaa in the long-run especially if we can win the Arimaa Challenge 9-0 again.  It would be great to tell the world "Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings couldn't stop Watson but 3 Arimaa players trounced bot_whatever 9-0".
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:55am by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 12:47pm »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 9:53am, Adanac wrote:
I think this highly publicized event will help Arimaa in the long-run especially if we can win the Arimaa Challenge 9-0 again.  It would be great to tell the world "Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings couldn't stop Watson but 3 Arimaa players trounced bot_whatever 9-0".

I hope this is the public reaction, as opposed to: "IBM could master Arimaa any time they wanted to (just like they did with chess and Jeopardy), but the Arimaa Challenge rules prevent them from competing."

Hopefully, if humans are still way ahead in 2020 when the Arimaa Challenge expires, the community will have grown enough that the question becomes interesting apart from Omar's money.  In that case, people might start building/measuring Arimaa engines on more powerful hardware.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #23 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 1:34pm »

Watched it last night.  While it was neat in concept, the whole contest seems unfair because of the reaction time issue.  Watson can obviously buzz in faster the human participants (I guarantee that they knew at least 80% of the questions based on their previous Jeopardy appearances).

Still, I was impressed with the results.  It just didn't make for a very exciting match.  Maybe tonight will be better.

IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #24 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 8:10am »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 7:21am, RonWeasley wrote:

I'm also impressed with Emma Watson.  She looks very much like the real Hermione.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #25 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 8:31am »

Definitely more entertaining last night. Ken must have been taking button pushing lessons as he was able to buzz in more frequently. Loved his sense of humor at the end to - "I for one welcome our new computer overlords".

In what year will we being saying the same about Arimaa??
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2011, 8:41am by mistre » IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #26 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 9:58am »

on Feb 17th, 2011, 8:10am, RonWeasley wrote:

I'm also impressed with Emma Watson.  She looks very much like the real Hermione.

LOL
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 10:25am »

on Feb 17th, 2011, 8:10am, RonWeasley wrote:
I'm also impressed with Emma Watson.

It's hard not to be impressed impressed with Emma Watson, unless you're looking with your eyes closed. Shocked

on Feb 16th, 2011, 9:53am, Adanac wrote:
I think this highly publicized event will help Arimaa in the long-run[...]

Apparently it has already helped Arimaa in the short run; witness the latest message in the "Say Hello" thread.  Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #28 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 1:50pm »

Wow, IBM has done it again. It feels like 1997 again when I read all the hype in the media about this. No doubt this is a major accomplishment. Although I didn't like the fact that Watson did have some advantages with being given the text of the question immediately and being able to press the buzzer so quickly. It would have been a more interesting contest if Watson had to use speech recognition to get the questions and literally use a mechanical hand to press the buzzer Smiley

The technology coming from this project, though is quite interesting and could have immediate applications. Sounds like IBM is planning to use it to assist doctors with diagnosing patients. I hope they also setup a 'Ask Watson' site and allow people to ask it questions.

I think it might even have some long term implications for Arimaa and other games. It shows that one doesn't really have to understand the meaning to come up with a good answer if you have a huge knowledge base available. In the context of game playing, programs that use the conventional tree search approach are essentially trying to understand the meaning of the position and come up with an answer all on their own. The other extreme is when they use an opening or endgame book (essentially a huge knowledge base) to just lookup the response in a brain dead way. But the Watson project suggests that their may be a good middle ground. What if an Arimaa playing program maintained a knowledge base of all the Arimaa games and used a similarity match to identify previous positions similar to the current position and looked at the kind of moves that lead to wins in previous games and picked a similar move available from the current position after doing a quick 2 ply check to make sure the move is not an obvious blunder. Such an approach would probably not be very successful initially compared to the current best bots, but it may eventually be able to reach a higher level of play. This approach to playing would certainly be closer to how humans play.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #29 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 1:57pm »

Alex Trebek: "This is the best opening move in a game of Arimaa."

Watson: "What is...."

Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.