Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 1:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « IGGC Games by Designer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   IGGC Games by Designer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IGGC Games by Designer  (Read 11337 times)
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: IGGC Games by Designer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 6th, 2010, 9:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 6th, 2010, 9:25am, Arty wrote:
I don't think that igGC deserves the comparison with a secondary road near a village"

When I made the analogy with a secondary road, I wasn't talking about the quality of the site. It's fine to have a small site, Arimaa is a small game anyway (just like most games are).

The point of the analogy is that a small site is way too small of a sample when most of the games in it have a few hundred games played, which probably means many of them got played by a handful of people.

Yes, he did say it's not scientific data, but if it warrants creating a thread in a forum maybe it also warrants explaining why the data holds any value...
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #16 on: Sep 6th, 2010, 10:24am »

on Sep 6th, 2010, 9:25am, Arty wrote:
While appreciating new links to the site, I am not really happy with such an "advertisement" that provokes comments like that:
Mark, you know that I am trying to prevent all "external" conflicts to be brought to igGC. I would also appreciate if you don't bring igGC's name to "external" conflicts.

The OP really had nothing to do with IGGC per se.  It was about the designers, their games, and a data poor snapshot of how well they did at IGGC.  It could have just as easily been SDG or any other site.  Yes, rbarreira took what could have been interpreted as an ad hominem pot shot at IGGC which he explains in a later post as not being that.  Don't be so sensitive.

Arty, I value my freedom of speech, something that the moderators of the Arimaa forum have proven to be respectful of, within limits.  You just moderate your own forum.  Don't come on Arimaa and tell me what not to talk about.
IP Logged
Arty
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3423

9725127 9725127    

« Reply #17 on: Sep 6th, 2010, 6:13pm »

I was not telling you Mark. I was asking you not to provoke the bad advertisement. Don't you think that "to tell" and "to ask" are two different things?

If it was a discussion about igGC, I would be the last one to "limit" your freedom of speech, no matter what you would say there. But you used igGC as a "tool" in your.. mm.. arguments. And that is something that I asked you to avoid.

No point to argue there. It was just a favor that I asked. It's up to you to decide what is more important to you: to use your freedom of speech in that matter or to respect what I asked.  

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2010, 6:26pm by Arty » IP Logged

Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.. (Escher)
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #18 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 2:07am »

Ok Arty, you win.  I was just having a little fun with the Arimaa crowd, pointing out Arimaa's non-stellar performance at IGGC.  For the life of me I can't understand how that reflects poorly on IGGC, but it did seem to prompt a potential misplaced ad hominem IGGC snub from rbarreira so maybe you're right.  I can't keep up with all this political correctness.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 11:47pm »

Thanks everyone (including Mark) for not letting this thread escalate out of control.

Quote:

Will we see any new games from the Syed brothers?  

Probably not. Sometimes I have ideas and I experiment around a bit, but I haven't come up with anything else. I think the only reason why I finished Arimaa was because I had a desire to show that humans could still out play computers over a chess set.

Quote:

What's up with Arimaa's lackluster performance?

LOL. I know you well enough to know that you were just trying to ruffle some feathers here Smiley For anyone who doesn't know Mark I suggest reading this:
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Design_Perspective.html  
I particularly enjoyed reading the section titled 'The Players' (near the bottom of the page).  

But seriously I agree with you Mark. Arimaa among games is just another game. Not even an elegant and simple game. In a way it's like beer, you have to play it a bit to develop a taste for it. Once you develop a taste for it though it can be quite addicting Smiley . But in the long run what makes or breaks a game is the community of players and fans that grow around it. It takes a lot of time, effort and nurturing for that to happen. I am really thankful to have the kind of community we now have around Arimaa. I really believe that many of your games could develop an even larger community of players if you put some effort behind them. In fact I really enjoyed playing Flume last time I was at IGGC.

A big thanks to Arty for making a site like IGGC possible. It gives us an opportunity to try out so many creative new games. The only thing I need now is more time Smiley

IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #20 on: Sep 8th, 2010, 1:45am »

on Sep 7th, 2010, 11:47pm, omar wrote:
LOL. I know you well enough to know that you were just trying to ruffle some feathers here Smiley For anyone who doesn't know Mark I suggest reading this:
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Design_Perspective.html  
I particularly enjoyed reading the section titled 'The Players' (near the bottom of the page).

lol  I almost forgot about that.  Yes, this topic was a bored attempt at feather ruffling.  It kind of blew up in my face though.  I never saw so many panties in a knot at one time.  I had to pull the plug when I got promoted to warlord, importing and exporting mayhem.

One possible rational response to the OP:  "You've made your point, Mark.  While Arimaa did much better than most of the games in the statistically meaningless, tiny data sample from xyz game site, including most Mark Steere games, it clearly was not flavor of the month at xyz game site, flavor of the month being itself a non-significant distinction in such a tiny sample.  Anything else?"

me: "No, I guess that about covers it."
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #21 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 5:09pm »

Rimbit wants to join the fun:

IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 5:27pm »

Leo, what a talent you are. Do you happen to have a webcomic, or other artwork in the internet that you would like to share with us? Cheesy

edit: First I was, waiiit, there's a picture being downloaded, then I was, how odd, there's elephant and bunch of other familiar Arimaa animals. Oh, wait this is not some random picture took from usenet times that fit the context. It's custom art. Just blows my mind. The pictures I've seen from you has some vivid quality (dynamics/palette/humour?) that hits my soul.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010, 5:32pm by clojure » IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #23 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 6:16pm »

Thank you Henrik; I'm glad my pictures convey something Smiley The first picture of Rimbit the Mischievous was born in the "Adventures of Rimbit" thread in the General forum, and eventually all game pieces may turn into a cartoon character each with its own personality.

I do have a few comic projects (painterly rather than cartoony) but nothing on the web yet. I'm just not ready.
IP Logged
jackspritz
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4584

« Reply #24 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 11:35pm »

on Sep 10th, 2010, 5:09pm, leo wrote:

epic!!!!!

think you might make Mark Steere a character?
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010, 11:36pm by jackspritz » IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #25 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 1:01am »

Smiley  This is truly a first.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #26 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 11:33am »

At last something good came from this thread!  Grin

That's art!
IP Logged
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #27 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 12:17pm »

I guess I'm just stoopid, but I don't get the cartoon. Can someone explain the humor to me. I'm serious.  Smiley  Talented artist though.
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #28 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 5:25pm »

My goal was to poke some fun at the burst of flames in this thread. I wasn't attacking anybody in particular, not even Mark, but our human nature as seen by the game pieces who live in a separate dimension. Just to take a deep breath and some hindsight Smiley

I may have failed though, in which case it might be better to trim this thread starting from my post.
IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #29 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 5:45pm »

I found it unique and unexpectedly positive way to handle the situation. I didn't get the impression that anyone was being made fun of. Rather the situation.

So if this thread was to be trimmed, your post should be the last man standing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.