Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Remembering Usernames and Passwords »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Remembering Usernames and Passwords
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Remembering Usernames and Passwords  (Read 1573 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Remembering Usernames and Passwords
« on: May 14th, 2011, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As the number of accounts created on various sites keeps growing, it is getting hard to keep track of the login info. So I've been letting my browsers remember my username and password on various sites. I recently found out that this is very unsecure. I am not so worried about other family members using my computer, but rather that any software I download and install on my computer can actually access the login info saved by the browser since it is stored unencrypted.

I have now started using this program from LastPass.com. It keeps the login info encrypted and requires a password to access it. Just thought it might be useful for others.
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

Re: Remembering Usernames and Passwords
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2011, 1:41pm »

For now, my own solution is to try to use a single shared password for all sites that aren't critical (online games, forum accounts, etc), and only use unique passwords for critical sites (email, banking).  

I keep a text file storing login ids and password hints. The password hints have very little relation to the actual password, except to me, and mostly serve as the minimum necessary "key" for me to recall which of the unique passwords I used for a site, or whether I used the shared password. So if someone else sees the textfile, it's not too bad.  

But yes, the number of accounts is growing a little bit ridiculous.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: Remembering Usernames and Passwords
« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2011, 4:12am »

I use the firefox addon from password maker for basically all my regular/non-critical web accounts. This basically has the benefit of only needing to remember one password while avoiding exposing the password to all of my accounts if one of those sites should get hacked. For critical/financial websites I use PasswordSafe.

The problem I have with LastPass.com is that it is a single point of failure outside of my control while also a high profile target for hackers (see the recent scare although I understand it turned out to be basically nothing).

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.