Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Bobby Fischer Against the World »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Bobby Fischer Against the World
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bobby Fischer Against the World  (Read 3366 times)
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

Bobby Fischer Against the World
« on: Jul 20th, 2011, 7:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw the movie 'Bobby Fischer Against the World' today (it was a 'film festival' film).  I thought it was very well done.  The audience applauded at the end (we don't usually do that sort of thing in New Zealand).
IP Logged
SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

Re: Bobby Fischer Against the World
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 1:38am »

Cool Swynndla!  I can't imagine a roomful of people clapping for any film here where I live   Cry   New Zealand sounds like a cool place!  Speaking of...

You guys had these giant, 12' tall, flightless birds called Moas wandering around your two islands only a few hundred years ago?  (Did they taste like chicken?!).  

And their only known predator - until people - were these giant eagles, so big they used to fly away with Maori children?  (Did they taste like chicken?)

And you guys had an geyser that erupted ~1,500' high?!  

And there's a giant rock off of your coast - Ball's Pyramid - so big it makes Moas look like Kiwis?

And The Shire is secretely located somewhere on the North Island?

Sorry Swynndla  Smiley  I only just learned a few years ago that there WAS a New Zealand!  Almost the antipode of where I live.

Speaking of clapping for Fischer...  Even though I know that he was mentally ill, I almost get a tear in my eye when I realize that Iceland accepted him anyway as a citizen (even knowing how sick he was) ...  Boris Spassky standing up for his old-friend and saying that he would go to prison with him (and Fischer, in his illness, scoffing at him...)  The Polgar family secretly hiding him in Budapest almost to their peril.  (He, of course, back-stabbed them too.)  Many more...

It's good to know that a film-festival in New Zealand has people like that who can over-look the really nasty side of Fischer   Smiley

Chess related:  don't forget to check out the new chess web-site WhyChess.org - (http://biel2011.whychess.org.liveschach.net/) They do better than ChessBomb at bringing live events /w computer and GM analyses!  Speaking of:  Dortmund 2011 starts at 9 AM eastern tomorrow!  Yay!  

IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 5:35am »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 1:38am, SpeedRazor wrote:

Sorry Swynndla  Smiley  I only just learned a few years ago that there WAS a New Zealand!  Almost the antipode of where I live.

Yeah? Well, it took me a while to discover Old Zealand.
IP Logged

christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 5:46am »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 5:35am, megajester wrote:

Yeah? Well, it took me a while to discover Old Zealand.

It was the first of February 1953, my 6th birthday and I got a bike!
Then my father went to see a soccer game (it was a sunday) en when he came back, all fell silent.
He had heard of the flood disaster in Zeeland - it took a few hours for the Netherlands to realize what had happened.

Most of Old Zeeland was under water. The provinces motto however is "Luctor et Emergo" - I wrestle and emerge.
Guess where that ended up.

Concerning "Bobby Fischer against the World", I haven't seen it yet, so please don't give away who won Wink .
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 6:51am »

I think the audience clapped because they were so moved by the film, not because they felt admiration for Fischer.  Most of the audience probably weren't even chess players. I think the audience felt sad for Fischer.

I like how the movie wasn't sensationalizing the story.

I didn't know just how mental ill he really was until I saw that film.  Not that I know a lot about Fischer (he was an inspiration for me growing up though).  I certainly saw a different side of him (and I'm not talking about the picture of him naked in the shower ... yes that really is in the film).
IP Logged
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2011, 9:36pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017srys

IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 7:09am »

And in French: http://videos.arte.tv/fr/videos/64_cases_pour_un_genie-4296374.html
(Second broadcast on dec 19)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.