Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « AI Challenge Contest »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   AI Challenge Contest
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: AI Challenge Contest  (Read 7906 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

AI Challenge Contest
« on: Oct 24th, 2011, 2:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(aka the contest previously called The Google AI Contest) Wink

I know several here have participated in the last few contests, planetwars and tron. We've just launched the latest contest. This time featuring ants and hills. Underneath it features most of the core concepts from a traditional real time strategy game.

Feel free to come take a look at aichallenge.org. Hope you find it interesting and come join the fun.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011, 2:19am by Janzert » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: AI Challenge Contest
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2011, 1:59pm »

Interesting. Having more than two players in a game for once adds a dynamic not seen in the earlier contests, although it remains to be seen whether the various possibilities for collusion add to the appeal of the challenge or actually detract from it.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2011, 5:36pm »

on Oct 24th, 2011, 2:19am, Janzert wrote:
(aka the contest previously called The Google AI Contest) Wink

I know several here have participated in the last few contests, planetwars and tron. We've just launched the latest contest. This time featuring ants and hills. Underneath it features most of the core concepts from a traditional real time strategy game.

Feel free to come take a look at aichallenge.org. Hope you find it interesting and come join the fun.

Janzert

I hope to be able to stay cool. But the rules are interesting Wink. Exploration, fight avoiding, hills attacking, map construction. Map guessing.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2011, 10:08pm »

How are the rankings calculated?  I notice that players now have a "skill" instead of an Elo score.  The exact formula in use will have a substantial impact on correct strategy, particularly in multiplayer games, but I didn't find a description of the ranking algorithm in a brief pokeabout.  I did, however, notice a game in which the top player came in third out of five and slightly improved his rating.  I can't think of a reasonable system in which an average result against competition that is weaker than you on average results in a rating gain.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011, 10:25pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2011, 1:14am »

The rankings are calculated using trueskill. Basically the skill displayed is a conservative estimate of the player's actual skill (i.e. best estimate minus 3 standard deviations). So for a player with few games (pretty much everyone at this point) even if the best estimate of your skill goes down the reduction in uncertainty can more than make up for it in your displayed skill. Hovering over a skill display on the site will show the break out of best estimate (mu) and uncertainty (sigma).

Having said that I neither implemented it nor have ever gotten deeply into the trueskill math so may very well have misrepresented it above. Wink

Janzert

[Edit: Correct number of stddevs subtracted for conservative skill estimate]
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2011, 1:43am by Janzert » IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2011, 2:50pm »

So even when I wanted to stay cool, I spent a lot of time codding ... let us see how I will finish ... http://aichallenge.org/profile.php?user=6888.

Rabbits participated as well just by testing the demo bot.
Who else participated?
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2011, 4:07pm »

I participated with just the demo bot. I never had time to even try programming anything. Sad
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 10:56pm »

Congrats Hippo; placing 92 out of almost 8000 contestants is great.

If you or Janzert are in touch with the organizers can you suggest a simplified version of Arimaa for a future contest. Maybe with just EMHDRRRR per side to make it go faster.

I could sponsor the contest by providing some servers.
IP Logged
ingwa
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #573

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 8:19am »

Without having done the math, I'm pretty sure that a 4x4 playing field is too small.  It could be precalculated in a not-so-giant table. (Besides with 8 pieces per side there would be no room for movement, the board would be full.)

I think that 6x6 could work, though, for instance using EMHHDD+6R.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 12:10pm »

on Dec 21st, 2011, 8:19am, ingwa wrote:
Without having done the math, I'm pretty sure that a 4x4 playing field is too small.  It could be precalculated in a not-so-giant table. (Besides with 8 pieces per side there would be no room for movement, the board would be full.)

I think that exact configuration might make things too cramped.

32 pieces on 64 squares becomes  
24 pieces on 36 squares.  
88% of the pieces on 56% of the squares.

56% of the pieces works out at 9 pieces. How about EMHH+5R?
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 1:15pm »

on Dec 21st, 2011, 8:19am, ingwa wrote:

You could change the 4x4 board to have a border of trap spaces. Maybe even with the added caveat that adjacent friendly pieces don't "protect" your pieces from the traps. It would definitely make the setup a major part of the game, possibly giving a superior advantage to silver. You may need to decrease the movement to 2 steps per turn.

But I'm also not sure that Omar had in mind a smaller board by his suggestion. I could be wrong, but I imagined he was referring to one of his variants of Arimaa where you use the same board with fewer pieces.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 3:42pm »

on Dec 20th, 2011, 10:56pm, omar wrote:
Congrats Hippo; placing 92 out of almost 8000 contestants is great.

If you or Janzert are in touch with the organizers can you suggest a simplified version of Arimaa for a future contest. Maybe with just EMHDRRRR per side to make it go faster.

I could sponsor the contest by providing some servers.

My prediction is slighty behind 30, anything better would be nice Smiley.

I expect I would be the only ply 1 bot in the top 35.
Unfortunately I had not time to debug speeded up food gathering to start thinking about alpha-beta.
... One more month or at least 14 days ...
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2011, 3:45pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #12 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 9:20am »

So great success at the end. Finished at 23rd place, being on 20th at the start of the last game. A bit of unluck seccond to last game finishing last while dominating board 5 turns to finish 2nd, around 30 turns to finish first.  

I lost at least twice due to using default parser which was not able to finish on server input parse first turn in time.
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 1:59pm »

congrats! You were pretty stable at that position, stuck around there for the last 24 hours  
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25th, 2011, 1:01pm »

on Dec 21st, 2011, 3:42pm, Hippo wrote:

My prediction is slighty behind 30, anything better would be nice Smiley.

I expect I would be the only ply 1 bot in the top 35.
Unfortunately I had not time to debug speeded up food gathering to start thinking about alpha-beta.
... One more month or at least 14 days ...

Finally after reading the xiathis code and description ... it was P1 bot as well Wink and in a lot of aspects it was much more simple than mine ... good job of him.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2011, 1:02pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.