Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Spawn a new game »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Spawn a new game
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Spawn a new game  (Read 4894 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Spawn a new game
« on: Oct 22nd, 2012, 11:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dylan Chan, a friend of mine created a new game called Spawn and built a web site for it. The site is still in beta testing and he is looking for feedback. You can try it out at:
    http://www.popnspawn.com/

I thought the site was really nice. The game is basically about capturing territory with a few interesting twists; I'll let you discover it. Please try it out and let him know what you think.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

Re: Spawn a new game
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:18am »

on Oct 22nd, 2012, 11:50pm, omar wrote:
Dylan Chan, a friend of mine created a new game called Spawn and built a web site for it. The site is still in beta testing and he is looking for feedback. You can try it out at:
    http://www.popnspawn.com/

I thought the site was really nice. The game is basically about capturing territory with a few interesting twists; I'll let you discover it. Please try it out and let him know what you think.

Really nice site indeed. The game seems a bit reminiscent of virus wars and the interesting thing is that these games are multi-move and tend to be played better in an applet than as an over the board game. Is it a trend? Wink
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:04pm »

It is a funny game. I played nine games against bots so far and have won 6 and lost 3. I also played against Dylan three times and have lost 2 and our last game was a draw. We had a little chat and he said they needed more good players, so they can explore strategies. I don´t see how the first move can be a disadvantage, so maybe the game is flawed.
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 5:41pm »

Wow, the website for this new game is very professionally done. The game looks interesting and challenging too. I'm definitely gonna check it out as I'm a huge abstract strategy game aficionado (which is what brought me to Arimaa in the first place). My ID there is "Zugzwang". Thanks Omar.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:09pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:04pm, supersamu wrote:
It is a funny game. I played nine games against bots so far and have won 6 and lost 3. I also played against Dylan three times and have lost 2 and our last game was a draw. We had a little chat and he said they needed more good players, so they can explore strategies. I don´t see how the first move can be a disadvantage, so maybe the game is flawed.

Why does that make the game flawed? As long as the advantage is not large enough to give one player significantly better winning chances I don't think it matters. If the first move disadvantage is a flaw then most or all games that use the pie rule are probably flawed also. In hex, for example, it is obvious that the first player is losing with perfect play, but I wouldn't call the game flawed.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:27pm »

Interesting game. I'm glad we're playing it on the web and not on a physical board. That would be high-maintenance  Wink
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 11:04pm »

It is interesting. I enjoyed beating all the AI's, but I wish they were a little stronger.
IP Logged

christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24th, 2012, 3:49am »

on Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:27pm, Adanac wrote:
Interesting game. I'm glad we're playing it on the web and not on a physical board. That would be high-maintenance  Wink
My point in the second post. Games that are difficult or even impossible to play over the board need no be longer impossible in the virtual abstract world.
There may be very interesting concepts waiting in this realm and it certainly widens the range of options for inventors of abstract games. I'm out of this particular business, but attentive readers may have noticed that I my goodbye gift to the abstract games community includes an example of just such a game.
IP Logged
DylanTChan
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8246

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 12:42pm »

Hello everything, my name is Dylan Chan and I'm the creator of Pop 'n' Spawn.

I would like to thank Omar for mentioning the game in the Arimaa forum. We've received a lot of players as a result of it! I would also like to thank everyone for playing and giving me feedback about the game, it is much appreciated.

I'm happy to announce that Pop 'n' Spawn is officially released to the public today! Please feel free to help us spread the news! If you have friends who likes strategy games, puzzles or simply a fun challenge don't hesitate to let them know about Pop 'n' Spawn. If you also know of any blogs or community websites that might be interested to know about our game, again please don't hesitate. Our game is free and open to everyone! http://www.popnspawn.com

My partner Angélique and I have been developing this game for more than a year now and we've always looked forward to this day when our game will finally be released. This is just the first step in our journey and we hope you'll accompany us to see where we're heading!

Thank you again for your interest in the game. If you would like to stay in touch with the latest news, here are links to our Facebook and Twitter pages:
http://www.facebook.com/PopnSpawn
http://twitter.com/popnspawn

All the best,
Dylan
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.