Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Christian Freeling on inventing games (part 2) »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Christian Freeling on inventing games (part 2)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Christian Freeling on inventing games (part 2)  (Read 226548 times)
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

Re: Christian Freeling on inventing games (part 2)
« Reply #135 on: Mar 8th, 2019, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've written a little piece on Storisende strategy called Strategic fundamentals.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #136 on: May 9th, 2019, 8:04am »

The winners of the BGG Best Combinatorial 2-Player Game 2018 are:

1 Blooms and Hermetica (ex aequo) 12 points
    3 Storisende 11 points

Nick Bentley's Blooms has been extensively discussed at BGG and has been played quite a lot during that time. Hermetica has been marketed and is visually very attractive. It seems like a good game to me but I haven't played it.  
I feel these were rather strong competitors so I'm very happy to see Storisende following so closely. Smiley

I hadn't quite expected it because it's a game with an unusual strategic storyline that really takes some time to grasp.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2019, 8:04am by christianF » IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #137 on: May 17th, 2019, 5:16am »

I'm eternally grateful for all the work Ed did, completely voluntary, by creating mindsports to support my games. So with java applets going the way of the dinosaur I really thought it was just a matter of time before mindsports would follow suit. Of course I wasn't happy about it, but starting all over again in html5, I thought, would be a bit to much to ask. So although we discussed the possibility occasionally, I never asked.

That's why I was elated to hear him say "I've had it with java" and that he intends to rebuild the site in html5. I was quick to say that so far as I'm concerned 'the Pit' merely contains collateral damage and that only ArenA games would need the option of online play, and maybe not even all of them.

It's a lot of work nevertheless and for Ed it's a hobby in between a job and other hobbies, so it'll start when it starts and progress gradually. The first games will be the more simple ones, implementation wise, like Symple and Havannah. It's great to realise we're still alive!
Smiley
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #138 on: Jun 25th, 2019, 11:35am »

http://mindsports.nl/index.php/dagaz

It's a start Smiley

IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #139 on: Jun 30th, 2019, 12:28pm »

Exciting. The interface technology, while certainly not the only factor, has definitely been an impediment to my occasionally stepping back onto my old mindsports.nl account. It looks like the new Dameo board has an issue wherein a piece reaching its promotion rank via capture immediately promotes and then continues capturing as a king, rather than promotion only occurring at turn's end.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #140 on: Jun 30th, 2019, 2:11pm »

on Jun 30th, 2019, 12:28pm, clyring wrote:
Exciting. The interface technology, while certainly not the only factor, has definitely been an impediment to my occasionally stepping back onto my old mindsports.nl account. It looks like the new Dameo board has an issue wherein a piece reaching its promotion rank via capture immediately promotes and then continues capturing as a king, rather than promotion only occurring at turn's end.

Thanks, we'll look into it (or, more precisely, Ed will). All beginnings are a bit shaky but we expect the transition to be completed before year's end.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #141 on: Jul 13th, 2019, 11:28am »

Ed considers javascript a nice language with a certain amount of freedom that stimulates creativity. I wouldn't know of course but the results are not bad:  
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/dagaz

There's a couple of more games now. The main focus is not AI but rather making a good way for players to engage in human vs human games and these implementations will be the backbone.

Meanwhile Aleh Tapalnitski from Belarus is writing a very good Dameo tutor called "Meet Dameo". It is some 50+ pages now and I do some language editing and proofreading. The content is impressive to say the least. Aleh has a great talent for examples and problems of high quality and a particularly ingenious character. I'll keep you posted.

David Ploog's book on abstract games is getting along fine and I'm doing some of the proofreading there too. There are several threads about it running at BGG. Abundance of Abstracts is one of them.

Although I had planned it, the weather doesn't support apathy. I need more sunshine for that. Smiley
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #142 on: Aug 18th, 2019, 7:04am »

Ed will be off on a holiday shortly but look where we are. Today Explocus was added with an AI that was already invincible back in the eighties. That makes twenty games so far that can be played without java.

Eight of them feature AI's. However, the column checkers AI's don't have the obligation of 'maximal capture' implemented yet and in human vs. human play they don't expect it to be followed, so in that case players should look to it. The 'undo' feature may come in handy in such a case.
The regular draughts games (Draughts, Dameo, Hexdame) do have maximal capture implemented. The ploblem with column checkers (Emergo, Hexemergo, Stapeldammen) is that a piece can be jumped more than once in the same turn. It's in the pipeline. Meanwhile Hexemergo is crazy enough to feature the AI for the fun of it: it will usually capture maximally anyway and it's not hard to beat by players who understand the game.

Not so with Explocus, equally crazy if not more. You can't beat it because there are no players yet who understand the game.  
The rules yes, no problem, but not the game. Smiley

IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #143 on: Aug 27th, 2019, 10:44am »

Just when I was beginning to wonder if Ed would be back from his holiday he mailed that he going on it, end of the week. But in the meantime 30 games have been disenjavaed by now, Go being the latest.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #144 on: Sep 23rd, 2019, 5:20am »

Meet Dameo
I'm very happy to announce that Aleh Tapalnitski has finished his labour of love and the result is a great introduction in the game, with a lot of basic tactics and problems as well as example games with ample in-depth commentaries and clear diagrams. I love it! Smiley
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #145 on: Oct 23rd, 2019, 12:58pm »

There are 32 games that can be played java-free at mindsports, while Dameo and Hexdame have now been completely disenjavaed. Emergo is next.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #146 on: Nov 6th, 2019, 3:23pm »

MindSports is progressively java free and the latest additions are Grand Chess, Chess and Chess+. Of the first two we have example games and problems, now all java free, but we don't have any Chess+ games yet.

Our request to the good Chess players at Arimaa is to come to mindsports.nl and play Chess+ and have a chance to have your game immortalised as an example game. Consider 'legal' to be fully tailored to the entering stage.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2019, 4:01pm by christianF » IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #147 on: Jan 18th, 2020, 3:05pm »

MindSports is completely java free now. You can play 70+ games, almost half of them against the AI.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #148 on: Jan 27th, 2020, 9:12am »

We added Medusa and its support act Lotus. They've been out of the limelight for a long time so both as yet lack an example game. I hope to remedy that by I've registering for both games in our Player Section and I'd love to see you there.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #149 on: Feb 13th, 2020, 5:45am »

A couple of new games, Query, Pylyx and Hanniball.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.